This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    Crap like this is why most places don’t even take checks anymore.

Comment

I've never paid for groceries with a check, but I do use them occasionally (I'm 60). I have two written right now that I have to mail to the bastards my ex-employer to pay for health insurance. I could walk in and pay them in cash but I'm not going all the way to the ass-end of downtown and visit the place that kicked me and all of my co-workers to the curb.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

39. I don't have a debit card so I write a check just about every other week or so for cash. Everything else is paid online.

Comment

I (65) mostly use my debit card but some local supply businesses only take cash or checks. The farmers co-op will not take any kind of plastic and for many years only took cash. The largest share holder is behind not accepting cards. I wrote a check for over $3K just a few weeks ago for fertilizer. I have an order for baling twine coming in and that will be another big check. For smaller purchases you can put those on your account and pay monthly. At the year end we usually get nice dividend checks.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

42 here, and I rarely pay with a check. Nearly all of my bills are paid online. Still, my borough is still stuck in the stone age. The collector for the sewage/trash bills want a check. Seriously?
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Just remember, checks are legal regardless of what they're written on, as long as they have all the required information.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

42 here also. I try to pay as many things electronically or with debit as I can. I still have to pay the city by check for garbage/water because they don't have an option to pay electronically. (Small towns. )

I tried to pay my property taxes online, but they wanted a $4 fee to process a credit card payment. Screw that! I'll write a check and drop it in the mail.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  I tried to pay my property taxes online, but they wanted a $4 fee to process a credit card payment. Screw that! I'll write a check and drop it in the mail.
                  Oh god the charges... the city charges money to pay your parking tickets online! wtf is up with that?

Comment

I would write fewer checks if various government agencies did not charge service fees for using a card.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My property still uses checks, money order or debit onkine but they charge 20 to pay with card i end up pay my grandmother who then writes my check for rent. I get charged to write checks

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post

I am so glad that Australia has now introduced laws which more or less prohibit this sort of thing. They can still charge a processing fee, but it needs to be literally whatever the merchant charges them in return (eg they can't charge a $20 fee for paying by credit card when the merchant only charges them 50c).

I've found that airlines were pretty bad with this at one point - I could either pay by Visa Debit (which is treated as a credit card for online purchases) and pay a processing fee or do a direct deposit via BPay and not pay a thing extra. Three guesses what I did.

The only times I've used a money order in my life have been when I was doing a mandatory thing for uni and when I had to pay for something and didn't have a Visa Debit card at the time, but it was an online order (They did accept money orders )

Comment

I am executor of an estate, for which there is a specific checking account. I do not have a credit card in the name of the estate, nor do I have a debit card for it. There aren't many expenses--paying the deceased's final bills, expenses for the deceased's house until it can be sold, attorney fees, that kind of stuff. All paid by checks.

Comment

Working...
                          X