This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, then I don't WANT it!!!

How on earth did I miss these people the Now-Defunct Tea Shoppe??

But here they are. And thank goodness I am still on training, which means I have a very experienced person standing beside me.

1) SC#1 comes up to my till with a couple of chocolate items and half a dozen boxes of kleenex tissues. Now, [Store Brand] and [No Name] brand are both on for 69 cents per box. However, SC has one [Store Brand] and FIVE [Name Brand] boxes. She watches me ring them in.

SC#1: "Wait, the Kleenex are on sale at 69 cents a box."

Trainer: "Ma'am, it's only [Store Brand] and [No Name] that are on for that price."

SC#1 argues, of course. I can't remember whether she saw a sign indicating that [Name Brand] was on sale or found boxes of [Name Brand] in the same bin as [Store Brand]. Whichever it was, she is absolutely certain that [Name Brand] is also on sale at this fabulous price. Trainer gets the flyer and points to the ad, which clearly does not feature [Name Brand] tissue on at 69 cents a box ... only [No Name] and [Store Brand].

There was also some dispute over some of her chocolate items, but to be honest I can't remember the details ...

The end result, however, was that she announced she no longer wanted anything and flounced out. On the bright side, I got to learn how to void out a multi-item order.

2) SC#2 comes up with only one item: a phone card (or something similar; I'd never seen this particular item before). I ring it in. The amount of money on the card was $5.00; the final total was $5.65.

SC#2: "Wait, why is it $5.65?"

Trainer: "That's the tax, sir."

SC#2: "There's no tax on these!"

Trainer: "Yes, sir, there is."

Now seriously, buddy, this is Canada. There is tax on EVERYTHING (well, except food ... but don't say that too loudly ...) The flip side is our lovely single-payer health coverage and yada yada yada, but THIS IS CANADA AND THERE IS TAX.

SC#2 announces he no longer wants the card and stalks out.

At least I now work for a store where staff does not hesitate to tell the customer that they are WRONG. Politely, of course, but still ....

On the lighter side, there was the young guy who wanted to return eight boxes of chocolates (which had been on sale and thus were FINAL sale). He'd bought them for his mom, who ran a small flower shop, thinking she could offer chocolates to her customers ... but there was no way she'd get through 8 boxes before the expiry date hit. (Don't ask why she didn't just keep one or two.)

This called for managerial input; manager told the guy she'd refund this time but generally we don't refund "Final Sale" items even with a receipt.

The guy wasn't sucky about it at all. This was more one of those things where you think, "Did you not wonder WHY those chocolates were at such a reduced price??"

And I will neither confirm nor deny the rumour that I bought one of those boxes on my way out of the store at the end of my shift.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Canadian Taxes

Canada is the Land of the Tax.

On the other hand, when my mother had to go to the hospital for 3 days her bill for the 3 days were $15,000 USD!

A couple of years ago when I had a stroke here in Canada I was in the hospital for 30 days, the total bill was $86 CDN. I had to pay for the TV and the telephone!

I never complain about the taxes.

Comment

Nor do I, for exactly that reason. However, this guy got all bent out of shape over .65 tax ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had a guy one time yell at me about the tax on a package of cigarettes. The tax stamp on the bottom means the tax has already been paid and we shouldn't charge customers for that. Uhhh, what? Okay, bye then.

Usually when I get someone who doesn't want anything it's because we told them no for something. Their parting words are usually "Well, I'll go to MY (store name) because they will do it there!" You showed me. How dare my management go by the company guidelines just so you can buy 48 bottles of detergent.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I truly do not understand people who bitch about sales tax. I get that no one likes to pay it, but why on earth do people think they can just refuse to do so?? It's not like the store has any choice in the matter.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            Canada is the Land of the Tax.
            I thought that was Pennsylvania. Our new motto is "Follow your Dreams", but someone said that sign should be displayed LEAVING Pennsylvania. I thought the slogan should be "If you can dream it, we can tax it."

Comment

THIS! ... IS! ... CANADA!
              I just got this image of King Leonidas (of Quebec, naturally) shouting that at the enemy envoy...only to follow it up with, "If you wouldn't mind, I really would appreciate it if you'd be on your way..."
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                I truly do not understand people who bitch about sales tax. I get that no one likes to pay it, but why on earth do people think they can just refuse to do so?? It's not like the store has any choice in the matter.
                Actually, I prefer to pay sales tax. It is a very fair tax, and it helps to keep other taxes lower.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  Actually, I prefer to pay sales tax. It is a very fair tax, and it helps to keep other taxes lower.
                  Umm... the problem is, sales tax is regressive as hell -- it gets most of its money from people buying necessities like food, and the lower your income, the more of your income that represents. Unfortunately, land/property taxes can be be almost as bad, because they punish both homeowners and renters for gentrification.

Comment

What kind of tax would you prefer? Government has to get its money from somewhere...

Comment

Of the two, land/property taxes are probably less regressive, because its way easier to get by on less land than less food. Luxury taxes of course are fundamentally progressive, but if you really want a progressive tax, you need to have income taxes that runs the brackets high enough to get significant money from the richest, without letting them shield too much behind exemptions and corporations. Naturally, corporate income and upper-class money farming (e.g., stock dividends) need to be covered too.

The problem in the US is simple regulatory capture: The big-money types and corporations(*) have chipped away at the barriers preventing them from buying political power, to the point where they can simply write laws in their own interest.

(*) As the joke goes, I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one. The federal government has indeed "executed" corporations, but the broken-up corporations have since been replaced by new monopolies that remember what happened to their predecessors, and have taken steps....

Comment

*aHEM*

Debates belong on our sister site, fratching.com, please. Especially government-related ones.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                          Umm... the problem is, sales tax is regressive as hell -- it gets most of its money from people buying necessities like food, and the lower your income, the more of your income that represents. Unfortunately, land/property taxes can be be almost as bad, because they punish both homeowners and renters for gentrification.
                          A proper response to this belongs in Fratching. Maybe I'll get an account there someday.

But I will share two of my favorite bumper stickers on the subject:

Taxation with representation isn't so hot either.

No taxation without resentment.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to incite fratching with my question....

Comment

Working...
                            X