This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics

The US is getting pretty political right now. Just a general request - politics to Fratching. What's more important is the occasional political side-swipe.

Trust me, it's the spark that engulfs the tinderbox. Can we keep them off here, please?

Rapscallion

I was planning to post pictures of the NH primary from the "average person's view" (basically, I walk about and take photos of the craziness because it gets REALLY crazy in <city>. I make no commentary on the candidates or politics, it's more "hey look there's a group of people with signs and whistles! Here's a guy shouting why his candidate is more awesome than you! Look! Mounted police!" Would those be kosher?
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
      I was planning to post pictures of the NH primary from the "average person's view" (basically, I walk about and take photos of the craziness because it gets REALLY crazy in <city>. I make no commentary on the candidates or politics, it's more "hey look there's a group of people with signs and whistles! Here's a guy shouting why his candidate is more awesome than you! Look! Mounted police!" Would those be kosher?
      As innocuous as that seems on the surface, probably not, unfortunately. Even the most innocent political pic or topic has the tendency to snowball into a free-for-all or devolve into fratching.

It'd probably get a laugh or some good comments over at fratch, if you wanna consider it.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Alright.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Since politics is one of the "hot topics" that is also a fertile ground for jokes, would the following 2 categories of political jokes be allowed?

1. Poking fun at politicians as a class (typical example: planeload of Congressmen crashes, farmer buries them. When questioned about the lack of survivors, he says that some of them said they were still alive, but politicians always lie).

2. Jokes that work equally well in both directions (to use U.S. examples, there are some that I've seen from both the viewpoint of Republicans making fun of Democrats, and from the viewpoint of Democrats making fun of republicans), sanitized to use "Party X" and "Party Y" to represent the 2 sides (readers can substitute their favourite 2 parties).

Also, what about jokes where a religious setting provides a background, but the religion involved is not the target of the joke (e.g. a drunk mistaking a confessional for a toilet stall would always take place in a Catholic church, because that's where you'd find a confessional)?

Alternately, could a "jokes" forum be added to Fratching for jokes that would be "out of bounds" for Customers Suck?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Neither of those types of politic jokes (or any political jokes) would be acceptable here on CS. Experience has taught us that no matter how neutral and carefully worded they are, someone is bound to either take offense, or take that joke and run the thread straight into Fratching with no hope of recovery.

If it's political, it belongs on Fratching.

As far as the religious ones.....that's a gray area. We usually take religious themed jokes on a case-by-case basis.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

When in doubt, take it to the land of Fratching.

Comment

In that case, could we get a Jokes forum at Fratching, for stuff that would be too "hot" for Customers Suck?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Discussed it a while back, actually - we decided that the concept of such a section was tempting, but how long before it got really nasty and violent?

Rapscallion

Comment

They've got a point. Even -- or maybe "especially" -- on sites with no political agenda whatsoever like CS, even really innocuous things that could be interpreted as political/religious-related slights tend to blow up into massive flame wars at the drop of a hat. Also, because these things tend to be juuuust slightly divisive by their very nature, the resulting needless arguments can drive wedges between friends. I understand the need for caution. I've even seen stuff like this erupt into tsunami of flame on GameFAQs of all places >_<

Besides, I've said it before and I'll say it again: CS is arguably the most civil board I've ever posted on. I'd like to see it stay that way ^_^ I know that nobody here WANTS to start a flamewar, it's just that political and religious-type threads seem to wind up on fire inevitably anyway.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      the concept of such a section was tempting, but how long before it got really nasty and violent?
                      I had thought a Joke forum on fratching might be good, just because, while we don't get a lot of jokes we can't approve, there is the odd one.
                      Sometimes, they're pretty darn funny, but we just know, if we allow them, then they open a can of worms that we don't really want to deal with.

I had thought a good solution was to allow those controversial jokes on fratching.

The only problem with a joke forum there is that it is a debating site, and a forum of jokes doesn't really mesh well with the overall tone.

Do you really want to post what you consider a real kneeslapper, and then have to be prepared to explain or defend the joke you posted?
                      There is that potential.

The thought kind of takes the fun out of it.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

We have had some things crop up lately with regards to politics, so it seems a reminder is in order. When we say "no politics-related posts," we mean exactly that. It doesn't matter if it's a joke (though some may be allowable if you ask us first), or an anecdote that happens to include a politician (no matter how generic), they're off the table. Not so much because of the posts themselves -- I have very seldom seen a post which outright favors or decries a given party at the start of a chain of posts -- but because experience has shown us that, sooner or later, someone WILL latch on to the subject matter and take it places the prior poster(s) never intended.

Natch, we've also been getting comments along the lines of "I've seen a number of other political posts here that are left alone" -- Well, as always, we can't see everything that that happens on this board. If you see such a post, please report it, and refrain from commenting upon it in any way.

Better yet, report it and just don't post in that thread at all. Posts that "feed off of" an offending post will be render the poster subject to warnings/infractions: for Fratching, and failure to report such a post/responding to it instead -- which is really just fanning the flames, and is just as bad as the initial Fratch, if not worse.

When in doubt, just walk away from the thread. Nothing good can come of egging such things on.

As always, if you're not sure that material you intend to post might be skirting the line, PM a mod with the contents of what you plan to post, WITHOUT actually posting it. A lost of online users is at the bottom of the screen on the main page (with mods in BOLD), or just PM it to Rapscallion (no matter who gets it, we'll discuss it amongst all the mods). We'll discuss it, and let you know as soon as we can. You will never get into trouble for asking prior to posting! You can get into trouble for posting, then going back and asking (this will likely get your post Unapproved/hidden while we discuss it anyway).
                        Last edited by EricKei; 03-10-2015, 12:47 AM. Reason: added clarification
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X