Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post personal information at your own risk!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I have some good stories from the last place I worked, I won't post them (also signed NDAs). I worked for one of the largest companys in the industry and posting bad things about them could make sure I NEVER work in it again. There are also people I know who read this site that would know who I am if I posted a most famous incident. While funny, not good if I want to get a job in that small town when when we move back. There are some I have posted with a generic "grocery store" though.

This is just something else to keep in mind. If you want to get into a small industry bad mouthing ANY employers that can be traced back to you is bad.

Comment

I've found that it is indeed wisest to avoid ID'ing whomever you work for currently by anything more specific than "pizza place" or "private firm".

A few years after leaving or being shown the door, sure, I'm willing to use a fake name like DaddyJim's Pizza...in that case, because I last worked there a *decade* ago. While I'm currently self-underemployed , I'm still not gonna give out the name of my business, and I'm even vague about describing what I do unless I am talking to a mod over a PM and I feel that it is significant.

Better safe than sorry, guys.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        I've found that it is indeed wisest to avoid ID'ing whomever you work for currently by anything more specific than "pizza place" or "private firm".
        Exactly. Identifying the type of business is safe enough; using the name (or even a parody of a name), not so much. Yes, it's funny to call your workplace VoldeMart, but the higher-ups might figure it out eventually; better to just say "department store".
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

*bump* (already)

Please also be mindful that it's also inappropriate to ask about personal information or identities of people here or with regards to people on other sites that we reference here as well.

Thanks.
          Last edited by Peppergirl; 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Exactly. Identifying the type of business is safe enough; using the name (or even a parody of a name), not so much. Yes, it's funny to call your workplace VoldeMart, but the higher-ups might figure it out eventually; better to just say "department store".
            Good point.

I originally called my store "Big box", not to be confused with Big Lots, but because in my mind "big box stores" refers to very large chain stores.

Not sure if anyone figured out where I work (aside from PMs) but this is also why I gave things like our software nicknames that had nothing to do with the company. Like "Reaver" and "Firefly".

Tho I'm no longer there so if any of you figured it out, that's OK.

My previous job was pretty obvious tho. (Squid!)

Comment

Adding to the above....we have seen a few posts recently where one member has directly asked another where they work. "Do you work at Wal-Mart in [Specific Town]?"

This hasn't happened enough that I'd call it a trend, but I want to nip this in the bud.

Do NOT make these inquiries on the open forums. That will only provide a keyword that someone at that company's home office can search for and find.

It's also specifically against the Site Rules to post the personal information of another member (or a customer, for that matter).
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

When you have to start worrying about if your online habits are going to influence your employment status then it's like being in the twilight zone.

Comment

you'd be surprised what can happen sometimes.

one one of my other message boards an infamously banned member received his infamous ban because he got in a fight with another member... and then proceeded to contact the other member's boss in an attempt to get him fired.

heck even over at PFB there was one letter that was pretty much the same thing - someone got in a fight on facebook and wrote a complaint to the other person's boss demanding they punish the employee.
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 12-11-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    a few posts recently where one member has directly asked another where they work. "
                    whew! Thought I'd been guilty of this back near Black Friday, but just checked and I'm cool.

I would like to add to the personal information "Watch Out For" list. If you are posting pictures, make sure to strip the EXIF data. Some cameras (and iPhones for sure, and several others no doubt), include extremely accurate latitude and longitude information with the photos.

A good explanation and links to a couple of Windows tools is here.

Comment

I've actually specifically turned off the feature on my own phone that includes location data. I cannot think of a reason why it would be useful and way too many where it could be a problem.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's why I deliberately use false information (for example, the Peterbilt of Natural Selection has never seen the inside of a PACCAR factory) where it could be personally identifying.

BTW, PepperElf, is your sig the URL for your personal website?
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

While I'm pretty sure I'm not guilty of this myself, it's always a good idea to be reminded of this so we can make a more conscious effort to respect others.

I might was tempted to post that the Swamp is located at 123 Fake Street. I could post that, but I won't.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            While I'm pretty sure I'm not guilty of this myself, it's always a good idea to be reminded of this so we can make a more conscious effort to respect others.

I might was tempted to post that the Swamp is located at 123 Fake Street. I could post that, but I won't.
                            Indeed that's a good point.

Or say if someone obscures their place of work... Say using "43 72 61 70 70 79 20 43 6f 6d 70 61 6e 79" - which is the hex code for "Crappy Company".

Telling them "Good job at obscuring 'Crappy Company'!" kinda defeats the purpose of using code in the first place. If they wanted to publicly state where they worked, they'd have done so.

Comment

Bumping this up as a reminder.
                              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Please note the slight adjustment to the Site Rules regarding privacy. See the bolded part below:
                                C. Forum Guidelines

1. Don't Give Out Personal Information
                                In order to register on these forums, we require an email address. This is so we can verify your account status in case of a lost password, illegal access to your account, etc. Your email address may also be used by the board staff to contact you on issues that require your attention. Please note that ONLY mods and admins have access to your email address, and under no circumstances whatsoever will they disclose it to anyone else. Other members of the board do not have your contact information, unless you provide it to them on your own. Whether or not to share personal information such as your email address, your AIM, your ICQ, your name, your city, your picture, etc., is YOUR decision and YOUR responsibility, so please be careful. We cannot be held accountable for any problems that result from your giving out this information. For instance if you post you picture understand that someone may recognize you. (Due to the nature of this site, we recommend that you give out as little as possible.) By the same token, do not give out the private information of anyone else - be they fellow forumers, SCs, or whatever. This includes publicly asking another member where they work, or publicly posting or attempting to guess where they work. It's none of your business!
                                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                                X