This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the metalheads among us

Metallica released a new track today. Their upcoming album has been eight years in the making, and from the sound of this track, it's going to be incredible! Check it out here if you're interested!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Nice to see them return to form. The last Metallica CD I bought was Load, which is what it was. In fact, it was the last CD I bought period.

Comment

Load and Reload were... not their strongest entries, I'll admit. They started to come back to form with Death Magnetic, which was a solid album in itself. I'm definitely buying the new album come November, though!

Comment

I'm starting to save money for when/if they have a North American tour this time around.
        I haven't been to a MetallicA show since their M2K tour.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

They started losing me with Load... and then Reload did nothing to keep me... and then they totally lost me with St. Anger... and Death Magnetic didn't bring me back... and this is... well... it's okay, I guess.

The last thing they did that I really liked was S&M. That version of One was... intense.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Becks, I intend on catching them if they do a US tour as well. It'd be my first show!
            Deserted, I thought the song was pretty brutal myself. To each his own, though. I do hear a lot of people say exactly what you jsut said about the band as a whole. It's all down to personal taste, I guess. My favorite off of S&M is Nothing Else Matters, by the way. It's my favorite version of that song, aside from a few recent live ones!

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              Becks, I intend on catching them if they do a US tour as well. It'd be my first show!

BTW, I noticed we're birthday twins.
              Unseen but seeing
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Ha... I hadn't noticed, but that's awesome. Always good to find someone (aside from my oldest niece, and my old manager, oddly enough) that shares a birthday!

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                  They started losing me with Load... and then Reload did nothing to keep me... and then they totally lost me with St. Anger... and Death Magnetic didn't bring me back... and this is... well... it's okay, I guess.

The last thing they did that I really liked was S&M. That version of One was... intense.
                  My wife is like that. She's basically like, "They're rich now. What do they have to be angry about??"

She basically doesn't care for anything after the Black album.

The closest thing she's found that's "modern" that she likes now that isn't "power metal" is Avenged Sevenfold.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                    Always good to find someone (aside from my oldest niece, and my old manager, oddly enough) that shares a birthday!
                    My twin sister, a former coworker at the day job and one of the assistant managers at the night job.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      My wife is like that. She's basically like, "They're rich now. What do they have to be angry about??"
                      Napster. No, wait, they won that one, so... illegal downloads, I guess?

Quoth mjr View Post
                      She basically doesn't care for anything after the Black album.
                      My brother didn't like that one when it came out, but now he agrees with me that it was a sign of things to come. I like it, but it's a bit different from their previous albums.

Quoth mjr View Post
                      The closest thing she's found that's "modern" that she likes now that isn't "power metal" is Avenged Sevenfold.
                      Point her at Lacuna Coil (official site, YouTube search) and see if she likes them. They're my favorite band, and while I may be biased, I think they're pretty damn good. (They do a good live show, too.) They've had some major lineup changes the past few years (half the band; both guitarists quit at the same time, not long after the drummer left) and it's definitely affected their music, but I can seriously start at the first track of their first album and listen to their entire discography all the way through without skipping anything (~8 hours, including bonus tracks & B-sides, but not "greatest hits" duplicates).
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        Point her at Lacuna Coil (official site, YouTube search) and see if she likes them.
                        Hmmm...I'll point her that direction and see...she may not dig "Gothic Metal" though...

Funny side story...

When our kiddo was in Kindergarten, they had a "musical" that they did where they involved the kids. And they wanted the parents to dress up the kids. So my wife found a Japanese Metal band named "Loudness", and put their logo on a t-shirt. She sewed some "zebra print" onto a pair of his jeans, and set him like that.
                        Last edited by mjr; 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I find it weird that they're considered "goth metal". I mean, I grew up with some kids that would be considered "goths" in today's high school society, and Lacuna Coil is not the same kind of music they would have listened to.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                            I find it weird that they're considered "goth metal". I mean, I grew up with some kids that would be considered "goths" in today's high school society, and Lacuna Coil is not the same kind of music they would have listened to.
                            That's probably because what they would have listened to is/was likely "emo".

Speaking of...have you ever seen Rock and Roll Confidential's "Hall of Douchebags"?

If you get a chance, check it out...it is hilarious! But probably not at work...
                            Last edited by mjr; 09-01-2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

mjr and Deserted, you guys have me with your conversation up there. As for Lacuna Coil, I like them, too. I was into Halestorm as well, but they've lost me recently. Of course, there are the classics--Motorhead, Maiden and such. Of the bunch, though, Metallica holds a special spot for me. I'm not saying they can't do wrong. We all know they can, and have, with past albums and behavior. I'm just saying, for me, they're a fave. To each their own, and may we all rock on!

Comment

Working...
                              X