This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this over a dent in a car.

This happened about three days ago. I'm a lot associate, which means I get to return carts customers leave in the lot to the store entrance. We actually share a building with another store and there are usually a few carts in the lot for that store SC1 yells at me that I need to be careful with the carts. He points to one of the carts that touched a car and there is a small dent on it. I'm usually very careful about making sure the carts don't hit cars (because of nutcases like him) so I explain that it wasn't me.

SC1: "Oh yes it was, I saw you. He (points to SC2) got in on video"
    SC2 is pointing his camera phone at me.

I then remember moving the cart from one parking space to another. What probably happened was that the wind blew it and it hit the car. Partly my fault, but what ever, I'm only human it's just a little dent. But these assholes won't let it go. They start ranting about how expensive these cars are and how careless I was. One of them then tells me that I need to go find the owner to make things right.

Yeah, you heard that right. It wasn't even their car that was dented and they're making a scene over this. Nope. Screw it. I'm out of there. I go back to the main store lot for the next hour and never see or hear from those guys. I was worried they'd complain to the management of my store, but I haven't heard anything and the one guy I told about this incident said I shouldn't worry.

Strange SJWs get up to strange antics. They don't actually DO anything, or help anything, but feel their job is to point out what someone ELSE did wrong, usually in an aggressive, sucky manner. But, hey, they're "helping"... somehow, or at least that's the dialog in their own little heads.

As to what the video shows... Oh noes, the wind and gravity took control of something that wasn't being actively controlled by a human at the time.
    What the video DOESN'T show is an act of malice or premeditation. If you had admitted to some fault, they would have had further ammunition to "help" you find a new job, pay damages, etc.

Comment

The person at fault in this incident is the asshat that left the cart in a random spot in the first place, rather than returning it to the store or cart carrell. You are only one person and you can't handle every cart throughout a whole parking lot. You did your best but shit happened beyond your control. If the asshat that put it there in the first place did the responsible thing, this wouldn't have been an issue for you.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

They started out with their heart in the right place, but the pendulum has swung too far.

Most of the cars I have owned had too many dents to count when I got them, but I have had the chance to own some cars that looked nice.
        So I know what it is like to find that your car has picked up it's very first dent or serious scratch, and have no clue who caused it. Some jerk, probably. Someone callously caused that damage and didn't even bother to leave their contact information.

And yes, restoring that car to as-was condition will cost hundreds of dollars. Actually, "as-was" is impossible: if a panel has been replaced or repainted, that impacts resale value.
        Fixing it will cost more than fixing it is worth, but every time the owner sees that dent there will be a tiny sadness that the car is no longer perfect.

When I was 14, my mother decided to replace the car she'd been driving for 13 years with a brand new one. She knew going in that it wouldn't be like-new forever; that in 13 years it would be as beaten as the one she just gave to her mechanic because it would no longer start.
        But I still regret that I started that slide. I spilled a small amount of a purple beverage into the light-grey carpet in the back seat floor. Not a very big deal, but the first stain, ding, or scratch on that car was me.

So I get that if I saw a cart hit a car and leave a dent, I'd feel the need to say something. I probably wouldn't, but I'd feel that I should.

I agree with the post above that the main fault lies with the person who didn't properly return the cart. But also, "Got the whole thing on video"?
        Either what you have on video is just the cart up against the car and a dent there, which ... is weak sauce as evidence goes. For starters, it could have been staged.
        Or you saw a cart rolling towards a car, and got out your phone, unlocked it, selected the camera, started recording video, and filmed the impact. Which means you totally had time to stop the cart before it hit.
        Which means most of the blame resides with the cameraman.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
          I agree with the post above that the main fault lies with the person who didn't properly return the cart. But also, "Got the whole thing on video"?
          Either what you have on video is just the cart up against the car and a dent there, which ... is weak sauce as evidence goes. For starters, it could have been staged.
          Or you saw a cart rolling towards a car, and got out your phone, unlocked it, selected the camera, started recording video, and filmed the impact. Which means you totally had time to stop the cart before it hit.
          Which means most of the blame resides with the cameraman.
          You know, looking back, I'm wondering if it was some kind of attempted scam where they accuse you of something to get your information. These guys demanded that I go try to find the owner of the vehicle. Hell, how do I know that they weren't the ones who dinged the car and wanted me to take the fall for it?

Something was very fishy about the whole thing.

Comment

I just remembered an incident from years back....

I went to a large commercial site (not quite a mall, but too big to be a mini-mall) with a sizeable parking lot and several stores. I parked my car and got out, and a woman nearby was ranting and raving about not parking there because it's a low spot and carts roll into it; one had just done so and the $(LARGE_STORE) would not take any responsibility for it and wouldn't give out their insurance info.

I mumbled something noncommittal and went about my day.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
              Yeah, you heard that right. It wasn't even their car that was dented and they're making a scene over this.
              I was out picking up groceries for dinner and as I was heading out to the car to load it...I let go of the cart and wind blew it into my own car.

A woman saw that and started having herself a full-blown wobbler about the fact that I let my cart hit my own car. Was screaming at me that I need to find the owner and exchange information.

So being the sarcastic schmuck I am, I did a full act where I was talking to meself and exchanging apologies, reassurances, and insurance information...and yes I was walking from one side to the other and even wrote two copies of my insurance information and phone number and handing both to myself.

I went for the full absurdity.

Then I waved to myself, assuring myself that I’d get in touch to fond out the cost of the damage and drove off.

The woman stood there with some serious cat-butt-face.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Working...
              X