X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving/Black Friday debriefing thread 2019

Now with correct year!

Anybody who's wprking or anybody who's crazy enough to go out shipping, how'd it go? I don't plan to head out anywhere until Saturday, unless I pick up groceries tomorrow.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Ugh. I do have to venture out as there are critters depending on me, away from the homefront. Depressing part is having to pass by a big outlet mall, with no way to bypass it. Oh, and of course, it's doing the rain/snow crap today and tonight.

Comment

Doing my part to keep the planes flying and trying not to break anything. I'm not planning on venturing out till sat or sunday.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

The only thing I bought today was gas and a snack. I did find out Kwik Trip carries rotisserie chickens now, at least in De Pere. I don't know if they do here. I have to work at the decorating store tomorrow. We shouldn't be as busy as the big box stores, I guess (my first year there), but we do have tchotchkies people want to decorate with so I do know I will be covered in glitter at the end of the night.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I go in at 10, my store doesn't "do" any BF sales (but I'm sure we'll have SCs asking, particularly because we just so happen to have a number of items on discount anyway) but is located near the main entrance of a pretty high-traffic downtown mall which luckily keeps "normal" hours today. I had asked my manager if I could start earlier (before the mall opens) but no dice.

Yesterday I did have to go out, and had to wait outside of a Dunkin to be picked up. I had the fun of watching the store close, then not 10 minutes later a few fools drive up and start reefing on the doors.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

DH is going to have to venture to the tire shop to attend to a tire that decided yesterday was a great time to be losing air. I plan to avoid being near any retail outlet if possible.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I don't go in until 12, it's most likely just going to be like any other day really.

Didn't go out shopping or anything yesterday or today, really don't need to buy anything that I can't get later.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I have to work today, but being I work at a bank, I expect it to be really slow. Most people will think we're closed today. Most of the businesses in town are closed. And anybody who's going for "doorbusters" are already out there. They've got their cash or debit already.

ETA: We've already had our first call asking if we're open today, before the lobby is even open. heh
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

On lunch now, it is a calm day. Hell, even I am surprisingly calm since this is my first Black Griday not working at Ranfom Craft Store or the Warehouse, and I was mess at both of those places. I figure there's not going to be much going on, we're almost done our stuff so once I'm off of lunch I'll start my closing things a half hour early.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Clinic was open today, I worked. We only scheduled a couple of hours of appointments then the rest of the day (9:00 AM-4:00 PM) was walk-ins. Our Urgent Care is open today 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM. We had 5 docs until noon, then 6 docs until 4, then 2 docs until 8. I left at 4:00, it was a steady day for me with no difficult patients. I was able to take a lunch break, which was a very nice surprise. Urgent Care sent someone to the hospital via aid car, but that happens on an almost daily basis. People treat our Urgent Care as if it were an ER and there are some things that are just too gnarly for us to care for. The funny thing that happened was when they called for the aid car, they are supposed to page overhead "Special Delivery to Urgent Care" so we know the EMTs are coming. Instead whomever paged said "Doctor STAT to Urgent Care". We all went running over, wondering what disaster had overwhelmed the two doctors already working in Urgent Care. Then they corrected the page.
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

We were busy but it wasn't crazy. Our photo department was hopping since it's about the only time of year it is. We have a decent sale on toys but we don't have any hot items. I think the days of big Black Friday sales are over (including the stores open on Thanksgiving). Seems there are "Black Friday" sales starting in the summer and there's nothing special about it anymore.
                      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working in a supermarket is WONDERFUL for Black Friday, because no one is thinking about buying food the day after Thanksgiving. I headed to Best Buy this morning to load up on some discounted movies. Went home with 23 Blu-Rays for roughly $188, and didn't even have to stand in a line.
                        Last edited by Monterey Jack; 12-01-2019, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          Working in a supermarket is WONDERFUL for Black Friday, because no one is thinking bout buying food the day after Thanksgiving. I headed to Best Buy this morning to load up on some discounted movies. Went home with 23 Blu-Rays for roughly $188, and didn't even have to stand in a line.
                          I have to agree ... and I am in Canada, which celebrated Thanksgiving last month! We did have a few BF sales but overall, it was very much a normal day. I was at the express lane and it was steady but by no means crazy.

The only thing that approached crazy, actually, was me. I got to work and discovered that I didn't have the key to the lock on my locker. Still haven't found it and I go back in tomorrow. My apron, with my nametag on it, is in my locker ....

Then, on my break, I nuked the leftover tea I'd bought from the nearby Timmie's. I went to put it on the table, caught my hand on a box of clementines, and ended up with tea all over the table.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Turtleguy and I took one of our cats to the vet, then we went out for dinner.

Comment

We wound up indeed having a Black Friday sale: buy $50 in the market and get $10 for the restaurants. That's probably why it was so nutso...would have been nice if someone told us ahead of time.

There were only two of us on, and we could barely keep up with stocking drinks never mind whatever else D3 thought we should be doing. I was breaking down smaller shipments left over from Wednesday as fast as I could to make room for the pallets I knew were coming in later...at one point he told me "Take a cart out with [pasta that could go out that I had been looking for for about two days....how did he find it in that nightmare?]. I looked at him and said "You can put it on this handtruck I'm building now and I'll bring it out." ...his reply complete with vaguely condescending tone? "That's why we should see what the floor needs and take out a full cart." (soooo, I'm supposed to stop what I'm doing, remove the product that's on here to go through the racks and find backstock?)

Not so much SCs yesterday as one supervisor driving us nuts...and I found out that they redid the pay structure for Thanksgiving (previous years it was a paid holiday across the board) to make it conditional. Something about you had to have worked the previous four Thursdays to get it...
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X