This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entire coffee shop staff quits

Wonder what the working conditions were really like?

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/entir...taneously.html

That staff has some serious balls and I wonder if the business will be able to not only survive this but also recover? It's like they have to start back to square one with years of clients coming though the doors.

Edit: I'm also impressed with their letter - if an attorney didn't write it whoever did should look into that as a line of work (legal writing?). They did a very good job with it.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Well, based on what I read, the only one there, now, that really knows how to do things is the trainer that they all hated to be around.

And, if you follow the comments, by that afternoon, there was an ad in Craigslist for the area seeking those particular barristas for a better work environment at a new shop.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Well, based on what I read, the only one there, now, that really knows how to do things is the trainer that they all hated to be around.

And, if you follow the comments, by that afternoon, there was an ad in Craigslist for the area seeking those particular barristas for a better work environment at a new shop.

^-.-^
        http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fbh/1688897902.html

Linky for interested folk.

and I've just been skimming the comments-sounds like it's fairly mixed. Most are good, just a few seem to think that employees should "suck it up" (paraphrasing here) and work under it.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

There are a number of people who claim to be "bosses" who have the crappy attitude that the boss has no responsibility towards the employees.

I'm so glad I don't work for one of those douchebags.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I worked for a Napoleon-esque boss (read Short Man Syndrome) who didn't understand good management if it bit him in his rear. The whole building tensed up the moment he walked through the doors. Business trips (his) were always too short, and offered a tantalizing glimpse of what life would be like if he weren't in charge. Like these guys, I finally reached the point where I realized the only thing I could change in the situation was me. I decided to move on.

I offered a reasonable solution (really) and an ultimatum that if they couldn't accommodate me I would leave (the thing with an ultimatum is that you actually have to be willing to follow through). Too many of these poor managers think that it's all about saving face and "winning" some big game of chicken, so they don't understand what would drive you to issue the ultimatum in the first place. He didn't believe me, as I'm sure these owners didn't believe their employees. I walked away happily, much to his shock.

I've read comments on other forums, and it's interesting to see other people's reactions, with a lot of readers blaming the employees. From personal experience, I don't think that it was just an overreaction or tantrum on the part of the employees. Occam's Razor people: either the whole work force is the problem, or the owners are the problem.

Comment

A local business owner my uncle knows is always complaining that people don't want to work. Most new hires for that owner usually lasted around two weeks before seeking something less stressful. Like roadside bomb disposal without training or armour.

Many of the workers who quit that place would end up working for years in the same field at other businesses.

Of course, to the owner, he isn't the problem. It's everyone else for being lazy useless workers who didn't want to work but weanted to be paid far more then he felt that they should be paid.
              In his opinion, the provincial minimum wage of $8.50 was far far too much for the workers to be making and he would do everything in his power to whittle that down. Then look hurt and offended when the workers would walk out and go on to much better working environments making a lot more money with a lot less stress.

I've been out of there for three years now. I still get a catbutt face from the owner and his family whenever I bump into them.

Comment

I wonder how bad things really were for the entire staff to quit together.

I kinda hope theres more on this. I want to know what was going on.

I love that someone is looking to hire them. Lol.

Comment

Quoth WizzleWozzle View Post
                  Occam's Razor people: either the whole work force is the problem, or the owners are the problem.
                  I say the same thing about teachers. If the entire class is failing, you need to look in the mirror.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I dunno. I found that letter to be a lot of big words symbolizing not much.

I'd love to know what these "issues" were that caused everybody to quit en masse, because I bet they're pretty juicy if everybody was willing to leave over them. I bet the working atmosphere was absolutely poisonous.

With that letter, I wondered if the workers were pursuing some kind of legal action by keeping it so vague, but talking to the media when you've got litigation pending is stupid anyway.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      I say the same thing about teachers. If the entire class is failing, you need to look in the mirror.
                      Hold on a sec, I've had my class use that argument to a prof. They also conveniently ignored the fact that there was another class that term where people were doing almost as poorly, and that this prof has taught for ages and we were the first class to do so poorly. (FTR I didn't find him to be any more confusing than any other prof. I found the questions in his lectures to be a lot more stupid than in other ones though, so the class obviously wasn't following).

Comment

Working...
                      X