This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, no, I'm not trying to cheat you

My first job was part time at a fabric store. We'd cut fabric to order - first measure however long a piece you wanted, fold it back on to itself and align the edges and cut. If it was a yard or less, then we'd measure the top and bottom edge of the fabric as sometimes it was crooked and you want to make sure you give the customer the right amount. Now, my boss would ream you a new one if she caught you giving out too much extra fabric, understandable since the store got charged for every bit of fabric on the bolt. But careful measuring was for the benefit of the customer too, as when the fabric was folded back sometimes it was short.

One day I was helping an older woman and her adult daughter, measured the 3/4th yard (27 inches) she wanted and did my normal flip it back and measure top and bottom before cutting. The woman then said very loudly to her daughter "have to make sure she doesn't give me any extra little bit of fabric!" and then it turned into "she's trying to CHEAT ME". I was - how am I trying to cheat her, exactly? I said "I'm making sure it's 3/4 yard on each end, so you're not short!" but she still gave me the evil eye. Gah it STILL pisses me off, and that was 20 years ago. Well she's probably dead by now.

Actually a LOT of customers would ask for "a little bit extra". I mean, come on people! If you need more, then PAY FOR IT.

In the craft sections, I over hear that all the time.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I hate going to craft stores. It seems like NOTHING takes longer than these crafters measuring out little bits of this and that.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Extremely crooked fabric is the epitome of suck for serious sewers, you go to pin the pattern on and find out that it's juuuuuuust a little bit too crooked on an edge to make the pieces fit. There's a couple of solutions to this problem...1. tear the fabric instead of cutting it (when possible), 2. fold it back like the OP said and minimize the possibility or 3. do what I do when in doubt and the fabric can't be torn...PAY FOR AN EXTRA 1/4 TO 1/2 A YARD!
        "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

My dad, uncle and grandparents own a fabric store specializing in carpet and upholstery material. You have no idea how common the "extra little bit" thing is. Dad has been known to warn them to buy plenty of material, as they have a strict no refund policy for underordering what you needed.

PS--They will freely fix any errors that are honestly theirs, but they have a big sign to stand behind for the sucky people. They've been at it for 30+ years. If my Dad was into forum posting, oh the stories he could tell!
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My mom always orders and extra foot or so. If it's a large amount she needs, or a one way pattern/plaids/ect she'll go and oder and extra yard. Scrap fabric in a seamstress's box finds a place on the sewing machine eventually.
            Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
              My mom always orders and extra foot or so. If it's a large amount she needs, or a one way pattern/plaids/ect she'll go and oder and extra yard. Scrap fabric in a seamstress's box finds a place on the sewing machine eventually.
              I usually order a whole yard extra, figuring that I'm not that good a seamstress so I'd rather have plenty of fabric in case I really mess up. Your Mom is a smart lady.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

She spent a decade altering wedding gowns, and made all our clothes growing up. I have some skills, but I think that sewing should still be taught in highschool
                Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Well, dunno bout HS, but my MS offered it.

All I learned was that I suck at it, and outside of patches or repairs, I shouldn't. XD
                  I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                  In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
                    She spent a decade altering wedding gowns, and made all our clothes growing up. I have some skills, but I think that sewing should still be taught in highschool
                    I took sewing in high school. The teacher sucked and I almost failed because she would never help anyone. I could have gone to my mom if I hadn't procrastinated on my project, but by the time I really got working (and needed help) it was too late to get it from my mom.

I'm good with crafts sewing, and with minor stitchwork, but I'm really not good at actual sewing.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I usually buy a little extra fabric, too, especially if it's velvet or some similar material. You don't want the nap going down one sleeve and up the other. I'd rather have leftovers than not enough to work with. And one of these days, I'm going to make a crazy quilt with all my leftover scraps...
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I could sew when I was little, about 7 or 8, but can't sew at all now.

My skill is limited to replacing buttons.
                        Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

If the person was buying the end of the bolt and there was less than 1/4 yard left, we'd throw it in. More than that and we'd cut it off to sell on the remnants table for 2/3 the original price (which was sometimes more than the sale price on the original bolted fabric). Some people just couldn't understand that yes, we do sell those little bits of fabric. To who you ask? Quilters, doll makers, doll clothes-makers, crafters & today that includes scrapbookers.

Ribbon we were a little laxer about because the only thing we could do with that was use if for store displays. Unless the person was rude of course, then we stuck by the letter of the rules instead of the spirit.

And if the fabric was obviously crooked & boy was it sometimes (I think the worst one I ever saw was off by 1/3 yard) you measured from the shorter edge. Every experienced sewer that I have ever met recommends getting a little extra fabric. Maybe you'll make a mistake. Maybe you'll decide to add a pocket. Maybe you'll take the extra from those 2 projects & make a blouse. Whatever. Better safe than sorry. Because even if it's a common fabric, you may not get the same dye lot when go back to buy more.
                          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                          X