This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Did they play "I Wanna New Drug"? Just curious. It would be pretty funny if they did.
    Considering that was back in 1986, I honestly don't remember, but I'm willing to bet that they did.

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
    I'm allergic to marijuana
    Yea! I'm not the only one!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I have a friend who's deathly allergic to lemons. I don't know why lemons, or why -just- lemons and not other citrus, but he is. If he even does as much as lick a lemon he can get sick, and if he bites into one or eats something with lemon in it, it can kill him. The people at his work place didn't believe him until he passed out from eating a lemon cookie.
      I know who killed the muffin man. It was Santa in the billard room with a pop-tart. Duh.

Comment

Quoth HereWeGo View Post
        Even had a few people tell me "No you're not," after I tell them where I'm from! You're right, it's mostly the rural areas where you hear it.
        That's kind of the opposite of what I ran into with a phone call once. The guy was from some small town in northern Texas, and no amount of telling him that I was born, raised, and lived in southern California all my life would convince him I wasn't from the area he lived in.

I sometimes mimic accents without noticing, and I must have picked up on his when I answered. That's the only explanation I can give for that.

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
        Potentially TMI post......
        Yikes. That must have been troublesome, to say the least.

Along the same lines, I have an unfortunate allergy to Nonoxynol-9. For those who don't know and don't want to look it up, that is the spermicide they put on condoms. I figured that one out the hard way.

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Yea! I'm not the only one!
        Actually, marijuana allergies are fairly common. Most often, the reaction will be severe hyperactivity, as with most food allergies. The whole 'eyes swelling shut' reaction is less common. Even less common than that is extreme paranoia as a reaction to marijuana.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth IHateStupidCustomers View Post
          Now I get one shot every year before summer....
          The only injectible I can think of is Xolair, but it's given once every two weeks or every month depending on the severity.

I don't believe I'm allergic to anything but at my current job I have never sneezed as much as I do. I blame the weeping-willow-like tree pollen outside my office

Comment

Blah I'm allergic to shellfish/contrast dye. Well protussin (err what ever the P is in DPT) and sulfa drugs but that's not the point.

When I was in the hospital for my DVT I got into a mini fight with this one pulmonary doctor who SWORE I had to go in for a cat scan. I asked him if I was going to get cortisone first or something. He looked at me like I had a 2nd head. I asked if he read my chart and the fact that I was ALLERGIC to contrast dye. He got rather belligerent and said "Well HOW do you know?" Um maybe because the last migraine I had they hooked me up to it and shoved me in the scanner even though I was having massive problems with breathing and turning bright red (they thought it was a panic attack til they pulled me out). Oh and the fact that I found out that the shellfish allergy and the contrast dye allergy are connected?? *Growls*

Mom "fired" him and my good GP doctor found me a great pulmonary guy who actually read my charts and listened to me.
            Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Re: Allergies

I'm allergic to ragweed, moldy dust, dandelion pollen if I get it in my face, maybe other pollens but only mildly, and one cat in all of Creation. Yes, one. Apparently this cat invokes an allergic reaction in anyone he gets near.

I have a sister who's allergic to peanuts and sometimes pecans, but other nuts are fine. Another sister is allergic to mangoes and recently developed lactose intolerance. Mom's allergic to furred animals of any sort (and yet she still let us keep two dogs, a guinea pig, babysit a mouse and another guinea pig, and play home to a whole plethora of cats).

And then there's a friend of mine who is forced to eat vegan because meat, eggs, dairy, and some few vegetables, fruits, and nuts really will kill her. And she had one allergist who wouldn't believe that she could actually be allergic to milk instead of just intolerant to it.

Re: Accents

It really does depend on which region of Texas. Most of Hubby's family and friends I've encountered in Dallas/Ft. Worth and nearby major cities have no accent so to speak, yet Hubby's aunt (married in) from the Houston area has a pretty thick one.

As for me, I have a very mild drawl that seems to be common in my part of the sticks of Upstate NY. It really only comes out when I get talking fast, tired, or angry. Heaven help me if it's all three at once. I deliberately used it once on my college roommate from New Hampshire, and it freaked her out. Her response was, and I quote: "Don't do that! You sound so...uneducated!"
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I have the generic dust, pollen, mold, hay fever allergies. Ironically it was always worse when I went up north where the air was cold and wet. When I was in VA during pollen season - when everything gets turned yellow-green with a coating of pollen - it wasn't nearly as bad.

But, even so, on any given day - even when I'm not suffering much - I may sneeze. Multiple times. Most co-workers are amused, especially when I pop out at least 5 or 6 in a row. One wouldn't say "Bless you" until I was finished, and others tell me I sound like a cat hacking up a fur ball.

Still... once in a while I'd get the one co-worker who'd assume I had a cold and would get mad at me. He was convinced I was sick and even more convinced that threats would magically stop germs from infecting him. ("If you get me sick I'm going to be mad!!!...") Well.. until I started making fun of him for it... laughing and telling others about how stupid that was seemed to work in shutting him up.

Comment

Well, see allergies do exist! And I nearly wager all yall live like...uh...everywhere
                  When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                    luckily, my hayfever has calmed down a lot in recent years, so I can actually enjoy the summer. Still, put me near a field of oil-seed rape- the yellow stuff all over the british country side, what they use for most cheap cooking oils- and my immune system just goes haywire. Horrible.
                    Ditto.

Household dust and mowing the lawn will aggravate my asthma and excema tremendously though.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

How about this one: adverse reaction to extreme cold. My dad actually swells a little, I just get a "hayfever" reaction--red eyes and massive drainage. Try explaining that to people. I don't take ice in my drinks because I sound like I have a cold for the next hour or so. It was diagnosed in my father when, after driving with a cold drink in his hand, he couldn't bend his fingers after a few minutes.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Exactly! Like I said, why would anybody lie about something like that? Lying about one's age or income is fairly common, but who would lie about having potentially deadly food allergies?!
                        There are people who would lie about something like that to get 'special' treatment. Think Munchausen's syndrome, for example. However, that doesn't excuse the waitress in the tale involved. Criminally negligent.

Raspcallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          There are people who would lie about something like that to get 'special' treatment. Think Munchausen's syndrome, for example.
                          Certainly true, but that's what, maybe 5% of the population at most? Chances are, if someone says they're allergic / sensitive to something, they're telling the truth. And I certainly wouldn't risk a lawsuit or jail time on the miniscule chance that someone may be lying or exaggerating a food allergy.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

There are a large number of people out there who- get this- think allergies are an invention of the weak and weak minded.
                            They refuse to admit such a thing is real, and insist that people who suffer reactions are just doing it because it's all in their heads.
                            These are the same sort of people who refuse to "believe in" things like asthma and neurological disorders.
                            They just have their heads shoved so firmly under the rock of their choice- age, tradition, 'common sense', "lack of evidence"....
                            Last edited by Sharsarannon; 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM.
                            "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Certainly true, but that's what, maybe 5% of the population at most?
                              Genuine cases of Munchausens are much smaller than 5% of the population, I will admit. Those who think that they can get special treatment by lying (such as SCs) are far more prevalent

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                                I wouldn't have gone after the restaurant, but I'd have made sure that girl got disciplined or fired for being so reckless with someone else's health and safety.

I have a friend who was blinded by some waiter's indifference to his major allergy to mushrooms.
                                Holy crap! What happened to your friend? Was is permanent?

Comment

Working...
                                X