This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
    Yes, I have heard for years how I'm too young to have back pain. I have even heard it from doctors, no less!
    In those cases I would've dressed up (if I was already naked), turned around and walked out... if they protest just answer them back "You're too stupid to be a doctor"...
    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Never thought this would have so many responses... guess there's stupid people everywhere who refuse to recognise back problems in the under 50s. ^^
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Ironically, I had debilitating back problems as a child, and have sort of outgrown it.

My problems were caused by scoliosis. They caught it early enough that a combination of daily physiotherapy and a back brace took care of it. I only have mild issues now. Now, I'm "too old" to have back problems.

As far as stress goes, I think older people play down the amount of stress young people go through. They probably went through it themselves and have just forgotten. How many of us recall high school as a miserable time, when we didn't feel that we fit in and that's all that seemed to matter? How many of us went through an awful period in their early 20's when we didn't know who we were, or were worried about what everyone wanted us to be? Those are incredibly stressful experiences.

As I age, I seem to have a better sense of myself and less of a desire to fulfill everyone else's expectations. I know older people have new stresses and new challenges (parenting is a whopper) but the middle-aged and elderly have no monopoly on pain, emotional or physical.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth StevieJD View Post
          Ok, maybe a little melodramatic. So instead I offer to show them my scars. I got some good ones. Get's them every time.
          Yeah. There's no arguing with scars.

I'm always telling people to not mess with their backs or knees. Other parts of the body are easier to work around, but backs and knees are essential to pretty much all movement.

I got lucky. I have scoliosis, but it's entirely environmental and not genetic (I play the flute and practice in an awkward and lazy position, which has caused my back to curve to the side a bit), and I flipped my VW Bug and wrenched my entire lower back, but suffered no lasting effects.

Quoth Boozy View Post
          How many of us went through an awful period in their early 20's when we didn't know who we were, or were worried about what everyone wanted us to be? Those are incredibly stressful experiences.
          It's actually worse for a lot of kids these days. There's an increasing problem with what are referred to as "helicopter parents" who handle everything for their kids until they move out, leaving the kids completely unable to cope with anything on their own. You can see it in reports of the rise of college kids having issues with drinking and the like. They have no experience with moderation since they've never had any responsibility for their own lives before.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

To me,

neck injuries are just as bad. I have actually thrown out both my back and neck sneezing. You don't realize how much you use both until it hurts to move them.

Comment

"Too young for back problems?!" Tell that to my college friend who spent her sophomore summer flat on her back after getting back surgery. She had ruptured a couple disks and she was less than 20!

I've had knee pain off & on since I was 5! Another friend has had a weak ankle since she was 10 and now requires a walking stick or cane if she's walking long distances (say, all day at the Ren Faire).

I'm sorry, but that too young for X just chafes my chaff. Pardon me, I have to go have a lie down to get calm again.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

I know plenty if retail workers who get aches and sprains in their backs from working retail, most are under 25, pretty much all are under 30. People don't look after their backs properly. I had one chap who asked me to help him push his car up a hill.

I declined.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

When people use that "too young" line on you with the implication that you are just lazy, turn it around. Pretend they are being sympathetic that someone your age is striken with such a painful condition in your youth.
                  SC: Your're too young to have back problems.

You: Oh, I know. I really wish I didn't. <sniffle> Some mornings the pain is so bad that...Oh. I'm sorry. I don't mean to burden you with my problems...but thank you, it's awful kind of you to say that.

The trick is to say it without a hint of irony.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I was once working and the person i was checking out noticed me wince as I bent over to retrieve something off the floor (I have lower back, hip, and knee issues), and got the "you're too young..." bit. I didn't say anything to her, only because I knew it wasn't worth fighting over. When I was done with her and the next customer came up in line she told me that she understood that standing on concrete for eight hours a day is horrible for one's joints and always feels bad for cashiers because we have to do it all the time. Needless to say, she made my day.

Comment

I have forgotten to mention this. But back when I was in 4th grade. I had scoliosis. And that was only because I was walking to/from school with a backpack full of books. We had no lockers and the teacher told us not to leave the books behind. After leaving that grade, my back was fine. So yeah, pretty much I have had back problems my whole life.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        "You're too young for back problems!"
                        I...they...bwah?

Tell that to the poor children afflicted with scoliosis or spina bifida, you old feckers.
                        Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

I have bone spurs and I only turned 27 this monday. I've had back problems and knee problems for years due to bad posture and a lot of 'twisting' when I worked as a dishwasher.

I feel bad that the two girls at work can lift the heavy Mac Pros that I cant' lift - I'm THICKER than them... I have more meat and yet they can lift more than me. I kind of envy them.
                          Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                            When people use that "too young" line on you with the implication that you are just lazy, turn it around. Pretend they are being sympathetic that someone your age is striken with such a painful condition in your youth.
                            SC: Your're too young to have back problems.

You: Oh, I know. I really wish I didn't. <sniffle> Some mornings the pain is so bad that...Oh. I'm sorry. I don't mean to burden you with my problems...but thank you, it's awful kind of you to say that.

The trick is to say it without a hint of irony.
                            LOL! XD I have got to remember that one. *makes notes*
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I have gotten really good at telling people no, I won't lift that or wait while I get someone to help. Considering I was out of work for four months last year because I had a disk rupture, and of course I am still "young" being as I will turn 34 this year.

Is it just me or is the you are "young" getting extended farther and farther, seems when I was a kid the 30-40 year olds were not being called young, and now that we are that age we are

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                                Lol isnt it amazing how hurt you can get doing small things. Had a customer with rods and screws in his leg. They had to completely rebuild it all because he stepped off the last step and blew his achiles and it had a domino affect.
                                That's because your achilles tendon basically supports the wieght of the whole body on the legs. It is incredibly strong, but if you snap one, it can do all kinds of damage by dragging things out of place. That's why its usually a career-ending injury in sports. It can take a long, long time to heal. Very bad thing to happen.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X