This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is NOT in my job description!

I work as System Admin and Front Desk clerk at a hotel, and have for over four years now. Normally, I only work the front desk overnight Friday and Saturday, but one of the clerks is on vacation, so I helped out at the front desk tonight.

We have a few long-term rental rooms that are set up as apartments. In one of this is an older gentleman, in his early 70s, I believe. He's been staying at our hotel for almost two years now, I think. He's friendly and polite, and all the staff know him by name, "Bob".

Bob walks up to the front desk.

Outsdr: "Good evening sir! How are you tonight?"

Bob: "Oh, oh, I'm doing fine, really, I suppose. But, well, I had skin cancer, and a few days ago I had surgery to remove some of it."

Outsdr: "Ah. I see" (Thinks to self- I do not want to hear about his health problems!)

Bob: "And I have bandages in two places, and well, I can reach one of them, but..."

Outsdr: .oO No no no no no no don't say it please god don't say it Oo.

Bob: "I can't reach the other one, and I was wondering if I came in the office back there (points to manager's office) if you could pull the band-aid off my back? It's not bleeding too much any more."

Outsdr:

I tried really really hard to keep my face nonchalant, but I'm afraid I wasn't very succesful in hiding my wide-eyed terror. Then, the older woman I'm working the desk with, "Susie" says:

"Oh, it's ok... everyone else has helped him out... Jim has done it, and Alice has done it..."

They're both just looking at me expectantly, and finally I manage to say "I'm sorry, but I am not comfortable doing that!"

Yeah, there's latex gloves in laundry, but I am NOT paid enough to pull band-aids off of people!

Susie says, "Oh, all right, I'll help him out." And off they went to the manager's office. A few seconds later, Susie says, "Ok, it's off... Oh! It's bleeding some this time!"

Seriously, it was all I could do not to throw up. I'll do a lot for a guest, but there are lines I am not willing to cross.

ok that was way too weird and creepy. All the old people Ive met just want some conversation but that crossed so many lines and bounderies!!!!

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
      ok that was way too weird and creepy. All the old people Ive met just want some conversation but that crossed so many lines and bounderies!!!!
      Agreed! Ew, ew, ew, ew!

I do a LOT for my guests (I'm even taking one out this wednesday, she's become a friend and she's moping that no one wants to date her, so out she and I go for a girls night out) but I WON'T do THAT!
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
        Agreed. Even if I wasn't highly germaphobic and, uh, touch-a-phobic, it would still be creepy. And to be looked at like it was the most normal request in the world... some how, they managed to make _me_ feel like a bad guy for a few minutes for saying no!

That quickly passed.

Comment

I know you aren't paid to do it but would it really kill anybody here to actually help someone out from time to time? Good Lord, they didnt ask you to pull it off with your teeth or anything.
          I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Given the choice of doing so, or losing my job... I would have put down my name badge and left the premises.

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
              I know you aren't paid to do it but would it really kill anybody here to actually help someone out from time to time? Good Lord, they didnt ask you to pull it off with your teeth or anything.
              There's nothing wrong with helping people out - I'm all for holding doors, carrying stuff that's heavy, etc. But it is not "just helping someone out" when it involves bodily fluids. Some people are very sensitive/paranoid about blood, and IMO, it's not right to expect someone who is basically a stranger to touch your bandaid.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Even though the request was out of line and, for most people, very EWWW, I probably would have helped him out. Please remember that I was an EMT/Paramedic for years and things like this don't bother me.
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
                  I think it was just a personal boundary thing. I wouldn't be bothered by it per se (once you're a mom, it takes a lot to gross you out, trust me), but I can totally understand anybody not wanting to. I think it's sad the hospital didn't make sure that the guy would be able to take care of this by himself before letting him go, especially considering his age, and I'm sure they asked if he was on his own or not.

Still, if it icks you out and someone else is there to help that doesn't mind, by all means pass that buck. No job is worth crossing personal boundaries for, if it was so easy to do, you'd see a hell of a lot more strippers I think!
                  "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

More strippers ... definitely a good thing.

Seriously, tho, this is definitely one of those do-it-if-you-can-deal jobs. If you can't, no biggie. If you can, it's a nice thing to do.

I'd probably have changed the bandage. But, I wouldn't hold it against anyone for passing.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

No way would I do that, it's gross and it's not my job .
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I wouldn't do it. If I wanted contact with other people's wounds and blood, I would've gone into a job that allows me to do so.
                        I will not touch a surgical site, I will not remove bandages.
                        What squicks me out the most is, it doesn't sound like your co-worker washed her hands before hand, nor was she wearing gloves - or was she?
                        Coz that's a GREAT way to get a surgical site infected.
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

No, just no. I will only do that for my husband or one of my children, but not for anyone else. I'm sorry, but I could not bring myself to do that.
                          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                            I wouldn't do it. If I wanted contact with other people's wounds and blood, I would've gone into a job that allows me to do so.
                            I will not touch a surgical site, I will not remove bandages.
                            What squicks me out the most is, it doesn't sound like your co-worker washed her hands before hand, nor was she wearing gloves - or was she?
                            Coz that's a GREAT way to get a surgical site infected.
                            She didn't wear gloves, and she didn't wash her hands before or after.

Comment

Quoth outsdr View Post
                              She didn't wear gloves, and she didn't wash her hands before or after.
                              oh EW! Maybe I'm coming across as a germaphobe, but when it comes to healing wounds and such like, hygiene is a must when handling those areas. I had loads of plasters on my body when I had my 9 moles removed, and I washed my hands before and after changing the dressing for each one. You don't want to get some nasty bug in there....
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X