This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jar O' Coins

Like I said in my previous topic, Horse show dramatics, I don't really have a job like most people would consider a job. Most of the work I do is for a foundation, or donations or something like that, and occasionally a bit of pocket money. The one I focus on the most is a youth center for GLBT youth. I belly dance and do drag there, and what tips I get either I get to keep or go to the center to help fund them. Sometimes though, I get people who I would defiantely consider sucky, even if they aren't technically my customers. In a way they are though, because I'm doing this to entertain them, while earning money for a place.

The cast:
    Me - in all my belly dancing coins and everything
    CG - coin guy. You'll find out why.

CG came up behind me, and just picked me up. I'm not talking in a friendly way, I'm talking in a "you're small, I have an idea" way. Now, I'm not that big of a girl. 5' 1", 110lbs. I'm actually small. Well, a lot of people have been taking that to meaning they have every single right to pick me up. I normally don't mind it, but this one guy just...set me off. Now, I've known him for a little bit, but we were never close.

I expected that he'd put me down, but he didn't. Instead, he got a good hold on me...and shook me like a jar of coins. He wanted to hear the coins jingle madly, so he picked me up and shook me. How did he do so? By jumping up and down. At the moment I just had a WTF look on my face, but then I got pissed.

To go into a bit more detail, my top for belly dancing is backless, and leaves the stomach and neck bare. The only thing holding it on are three little black ties, going around the back and behind my neck. They aren't very strong - made of quite flimsy fabric - and definately aren't made for the strain they were put through.

In the middle of this man's hop (I really shouldn't call him a man. He's more of a boy. I'd say...18?) I heard a POP and the release of pressure on my back. When he set me down (I assume he heard it too?) I instantly went to my top to see what happened. One of the ties had snapped off the side, leaving me with a piece of black fabric hanging from my top. I was just a little more then pissed. On an average the tops I wear are anywhere from 60-75$ each. The entire outfit I wear can range from 200-300$.

I know that if it was -just- the little strap I could have sewn it back together. However, upon further inspection, I found that not only did the strap break, but the fabric and beads on the side piece had ripped, leaving a hole and falling beads everywhere. It also tangled the coins on the top, which are near impossible to untangle, and seperated the cups of the bra-like top and had moved them. To put it simply, my top was ruined, unrepairable (it was a handmade top) and I had a performance in ten minutes.

When CG saw how mad and close to tears I was, he just paled and left the building. No "I'm sorry" or anything. Honestly I could have gone after him and made him pay for a new top, but my brain had shut down for a little bit and was trying to think of ways to save my performance. I was so close to crying though, and I ended up having to drop my performance to go try and figure out a new top for the time being.

So that's one example of my form of SC's. I'll probably have more stories as summer hits.
    I know who killed the muffin man. It was Santa in the billard room with a pop-tart. Duh.

Wait I know that you do this for a foundation but dont they have security there for you so that doesnt happen? No one has the right to just pick you up and I think that the foundation should pay for your outfit because they never should have allowed him to get that close to you!

Comment

It's a small building, more like a clubhouse in a sort of way. There's no security, and it's definately on a family sort of basis. An "everyone almost knows everyone" sort of way. So friends always tend to horse around on the dance floor when performances aren't starting, and play around in the parking lot and stuff like that. I wasn't going to make anyone else pay for it though, because in the end I delt with it. I try to avoid conflict with stuff like that as much as I can.
      I know who killed the muffin man. It was Santa in the billard room with a pop-tart. Duh.

Comment

Yeah, I'm wondering where security was. A guy grabbed you, manhandled you, and literally tore your top off. I can see some charges that might need to be filed.

Comment

He may have thought it was harmless but that's a classic case of assault. I'd press the issue & call the cops & file a report on him.
          Somebody ever grabs me like that & I'll turn around & hit them in the face.

Comment

Yeah, me too. I dont' have a lot of patience for being disprespected by men like that. There have been some SCA guys here and there that thought it was charming to pull stuff like this. However, they learned with a quickness it was a very Bad Idea to try to pull it on me.

Comment

How about some pics of you beauties here?

Comment

That guy disrespected you, and didn't even apologise? How would he like it if you went up to him, grabbed his crotch and squeezed to see if his face would change colour?
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                  How would he like it if you went up to him, grabbed his crotch and squeezed to see if his face would change colour?
                  Uh, that's assuming the guy *has* something there in the first place By his actions I really doubt it!
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm really sorry about your costume. I made my tops from heavy duty bras, that I covered with fabric and used fabric paint on, so there was little chance of the popping issue, although it can still happen. I saw it happen during Rakkasah, to a professional who had been dancing for thirty years, on stage. Being a professional, she carried heavy duty safety pins in her costume and managed to get everything back together, although the guys in the band got quite a view (one of whom turned a shade of red I thought only beets could attain).

Back on topic, the guy was a complete jackass, and you need to talk to him now, and tell him just how much money this costume cost you and he now owes you. Also, he needs to understand completely and clearly how he overstepped boundaries of personal space and that you are a human being and not a handy toy and you do not appreciate being treated like an object of amusement.

Since I'm 5'8", I haven't had trouble with guys trying to pick me up, but I've still had men try to intimidate me with their size and that absolutely sends me over the edge.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

maybe a few elbows to the midsection would have clued this dolt in (or perhaps not). what in the three levels of hell makes anyone think random manhandling is ok ever?

assault, battery and monetary compensation are due from this moron, and maybe a good boot or five to the head just for added measure.
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I second WageGoth's suggestion.
                        "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

[stupid comment]

This thread needs pics.

[/stupid comment]

Seriously, the first thing you should have done was screamed... "Help", "Police", "Pervert", something. Somebody grabbing you like that is completely wrong, and if someone was there to help you, this guy wouldn't have gotten away. If I hear "Help" and see someone headed for the door like that, I would at least stopped the guy to see what was going on.
                          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Cripes!

If you can find out who this kid is, I think a little visit from the local constabulary to have a little chat might be in order.

I know he wasn't doing it to be mean or anything, but he needs more than a little sense scared into him or the next time he tries something that dumb, someone might end up genuinely hurt.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm a small one too; five foot nothing, 110 lbs socking wet too, and every SINGLE TIME I'm picked up I scream bloody murder and beg to be put down. One of my roommates, J, likes to constantly put me on his shoulders against my will unfortunately, I'm too small to just kick him in the family jewels in mid pick-up. But I have elbowed him a few times.
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X