This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Fighting in the Restaurant!

Monday was St. Patrick's Day. I work at an American chain restaurant/bar with some sort of Irish bent--the promotional materials say "Irish Hospitality," but I honestly think the main thing is that our menus are green.

. . . doesn't really matter. St. Patrick's Day is still, from what I can tell, just about our #1 day. Every single server was scheduled, every single bartender was scheduled, every single manager was scheduled (except the one who doubles as a bartender--she played bartender) . . . we even charged a cover for the bar because we had some sort of "St. Patrick's Day party". (This seems to have largely involved beer pong, a DJ, shooter girls, and enough people that I had trouble getting anywhere.)

Now, I missed the bulk of it. I was in the back rolling silverware for about five hours. (I seemed to roll it at about the same rate that it disappeared . . . anyway, I was happy enough--once you cram every available table (fewer than usual, since we cleared out half the restaurant for the party), there's absolutely nothing a host can do until someone gets up, no matter how many people are waiting to be seated.)

(Oh, and I'm immensely uncomfortable around large, hulking, loud, drunk crowds. I think there's a REASON that the GM made me the one to roll silverware, and I love him for it.)

Anyway, it's about 12:30 AM when the manager finally tells me to stop rolling and clock out (I was about to ask him to, since we didn't seem to be using up silverware anymore). I wander around the front to see if I recognize any familiar faces--the crowd is sufficiently huge and pressing that I quickly abandon the idea and just sort of stand awkwardly at the host stand making conversation with the other host. (Cursing out Coworkers moment, why is it that the only two hosts left at the end of the night were part of the morning shift? I don't mind the overtime, but . . .)

I'm wandering somewhere again, past the bar, when I see one of the men in a Security shirt a few feet from me jump the bar railing and grab someone.

"What the hell is going on?" I say, before I realize that there's a fight going on far too close for my tastes. I move away and see a few people being dragged out.

I decide I don't want to be a gawker, so I sit against a wall not facing a window and try to collect myself. This (about a minute later) is when some MORE sounds of a ruckus start at the bar.

They haven't even been fully kicked out yet when the third fight starts in a different section of a bar.

This is when I decide that the kitchen is definitely where I want to be. Another fight, this one involving some of our bartenders (one on the receiving end, the other trying to restrain someone), apparently happens while I'm back there.

The cops are already outside--either as part of a St. Pat's catch-people-drunk-driving thing or 'cause our resident cop is with us, I don't know, but I hear there are seven frickin' cars. It gets broken up. It gets broken up quickly. And everyone is kicked out of the restaurant about an hour before we were actually meaning to close.

What the hell? I hear we always have a fight on St. Pat's, but . . . four? In five minutes? That require everyone to have to leave the restaurant (barring staff)?

Even without gory details (which I don't have--the only real details I heard were the restraining bartender getting pulled off the guy he was trying to restrain and handcuffed, and also that the visual of the cops coming in fairly resembled a swarm), that was bad.

So, uh, yeah. For at least the next week or two, I think it's going to be hard for me to call someone an SC unless they start a fistfight. My basis for comparison has been a bit skewed.

Don't be an SC. Don't start fistfights in my restaurant. x_X;

WOW crazy night! Good thinking of the manager on knowing how the crowd would affect you and using you in another area. Hearing that story made me seriously happy I stayed in! It was bad enough coming home from work and my parking lot was full cuz the bar down the street was packed but this morning we got to see what people left behind from their night of drinking. Hope that bartender is ok let us know.

Comment

This, among other reasons, is why I stay home on St. Patrick's Day.
      And to think, all this while people are faking my proud Irish hertiage and drinking in the name of stupidity.

I actually got WTF'd several times last night for not going out. Yeah, because I want to be the one hiding in the kitchen from a fight.
      One friend said, "I'd have gone drinking with you, but you're racist because you don't like non-Irish people drinking on St. Patrick's Day."

Comment

Oh, both bartenders are fine--I didn't look at him too closely, but the one seemed okay. The other bartender wasn't even arrested, I think they just needed to make sure who was who before they were going to take any chances. (And hell, there was no visual clue that he was one of ours--everyone was dressed up for the holiday.) I think everyone was just a bit shaken.

Oh, the mention of clean-up reminds me--I got to clean up bathroom vomit for the first time that night. *nodnod* Yay! How she managed to leave a vomit *trail*, I'm not sure, but I kinda feel bad for the girl, much as I wish she could have gotten more of it in the toilet. x_x;

Comment

The problem with St Paddy's Day drunks is that they are rank amateurs. They go out on the day and get drunk cuz it's expected.

Comment

The flip side is that alcoholics love St. Paddy's Day, because they can feel like they're part of mainstream society again.

I have an alcoholic buy a bottle of sherry from me every morning. It gets him started for the day. He told me that he loved St. Paddy's Day for this very reason.

I nearly cried when he told me this. My job is sad, sometimes.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth akilika View Post
              Monday was St. Patrick's Day.
              Fun fact: Monday was not St. Patrick's Day.

Yes, Monday was March 17. And yes, March 17 is normally St. Patrick's Day.

However, Monday was Good Monday (the 2nd day of Holy Week, the first being Palm Sunday), as this coming Sunday is Easter.

Whenever March 17 falls within Holy Week, the observance of St. Patrick's Day is decreed to be observed prior to that, usually on the Saturday or Friday before.

Of course, this is all set by the Catholic Church as both holidays are originally very specifically Catholic holidays. Quite a large number of civic institutions refused to celebrate on any day other than March 17, regardless of whether or not it was Holy Week. In Ireland, where St. Patrick's Day has become more of heritage celebration than anything else, the religious groups held the Feast of St. Patrick on the 15th, while the more secular celebrations were to take place on March 17.

This type of holiday conflict won't happen again until 2160.

... yes, I'm a trivia geek.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Ah yes, st patricks day. An excuse for people with no irish heritage to go out wear silly hats and get wankered on guiness when they normally only have lager.

It's like christmas. Amateur drinkers. People who never get drunk at any other time of year get drunk and cause trouble.
                Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  Fun fact: Monday was not St. Patrick's Day.

Yes, Monday was March 17. And yes, March 17 is normally St. Patrick's Day.

However, Monday was Good Monday (the 2nd day of Holy Week, the first being Palm Sunday), as this coming Sunday is Easter.

Whenever March 17 falls within Holy Week, the observance of St. Patrick's Day is decreed to be observed prior to that, usually on the Saturday or Friday before.

Of course, this is all set by the Catholic Church as both holidays are originally very specifically Catholic holidays. Quite a large number of civic institutions refused to celebrate on any day other than March 17, regardless of whether or not it was Holy Week. In Ireland, where St. Patrick's Day has become more of heritage celebration than anything else, the religious groups held the Feast of St. Patrick on the 15th, while the more secular celebrations were to take place on March 17.

This type of holiday conflict won't happen again until 2160.

... yes, I'm a trivia geek.

^-.-^
                  Yeah, I heard about that. This year the Pope (or whoever it was, I was told it was the Pope) decided St. Pattie's Day was going to be on the previous Friday. This sort of thing should never happen because it gives people an excuse to party hardy twice within the same week. Myself and my roomies being some of them.

We had a small gathering of friends at home and had a party there; it was great and, for some reason, G (a friend of my other two roomies) never woke up with a hang over. And he drank more then the rest of us!
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    The problem with St Paddy's Day drunks is that they are rank amateurs. They go out on the day and get drunk cuz it's expected.
                    Which is the reason you won't find me anywhere near a bar on St. Patricks day. We used to go out every year, but every year it's the same story, amatuer hour for frat boys.

I can really live without hearing "Danny Boy" or "Wild Irish Rover" ever again.

Just think, it's only 6-1/2 more weeks until Cinco De Mayo. Which has become another amatuer hour for drunks.
                    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

St. Paddy's is HUGE here, I went straight home after work and hunkered down.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My sister lives in Savannah, GA, where the SPD celebration is so huge they used to dye the rivers green (I dont' know if they still do that.) It's so huge, she had the day off on Friday because the city is already becoming a huge mess. She hates it. She says she has enough problems with drunks pissing in the hallways of the building she works in without St. Pat's adding to it.

Get this: We had some weather in SC and GA last weekend, as many of you know, and the power went out downtown Saturday night. I cannot believe all hell didn't break loose with rioting and looting, but it didnt. Cops had it under control pretty well, closed all the bars and lit up the street with their headlights and cleared the downtown area best they could.

My sister says reports on how scary it was was subjective to the sobriety of the witness:

Drunk: Oh, yeah! It was great!
                        Sober: Oh, God, I thought we were gonna die!

Comment

I was dissapointed in St. Patrick's this year.

We went to a local eatery/pub like we have the last few years, no crowd, no drunks, etc. And then I get trailed by a sheriff's deputy for 2 miles because I left a pub and I'm 23. Despite the 50 year old man who stumbled to his car, and peeled out of the parking lot 5 minutes before I drove off.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Yeah, I heard about that. This year the Pope (or whoever it was, I was told it was the Pope) decided St. Pattie's Day was going to be on the previous Friday.
                            It's not that "the Pope decided" that it wouldn't be during Holy Week. It's just that Holy Week trumps other holidays, so they get shifted for observance around it.

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                            It's like christmas. Amateur drinkers. People who never get drunk at any other time of year get drunk and cause trouble.
                            One article I read likened St. Patrick's Day to Christmas in that what was once a holy day is now just an excuse for commercial excess of some form.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                            X