Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My niece and nephew went through this last year (twice for my nephew) and since my brother was working most of the time and my Mom has bad eyesight, I got put on nit picking patrol. It wasn't too hard with my nephew as he has short hair, but my niece's hair is down to her butt, and that took 3 sessions of 5 hours each to get all the nits. What a pain - I hope I never have to do that again! I'm going to tell my brother about putting tea tree oil in the shampoo.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Over here, the common remedy is hair conditioner + finetoothed comb. There's also a little nifty device called the "Bug Buster" that basically is a lice comb with just enough electricity to zap the little buggers (the lice, that is! ), without burning or singing the hair.

Luckily (knocks wood) Lil Zel hasn't had lice yet, though we do a preemptive conditioner+combing session once or twice every Fall, which is our high season for lice.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        But would you even want the grains then?
        Frequently it is already in your food ... it is just the grains are already contaminated pre-grinding. Most people eat bread that is already contaminated but the baking process killed the eggs before they could hatch out. It is home bakers that have the flour that has live eggs in it because it hasn't been baked yet. Freeze the flour and grains for 3 days, kills the eggs. Same goes for any grains and legumes in the pantry. [and nuts, can't for get the nuts. Damned eggs are all over the place if you are not careful and grocery warehouses are notorious for spreading the joy]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

When I was in 5th grade, I spent nearly three weeks out of school because every time I went back, I got lice. Again.

So, despite the fact that when I was at home I came in lice-free and it was only after I'd been to school that I had them again, they sicced CPS on us. And CPS was too ignorant to know that cats can't get lice. That woman honestly wanted us to shave our cats. >_<

Anyway, nits are really obvious, but very tiny. I got to be a champion at rooting them out of my hair (hangs to my butt). I remember that they'd be clustered often behind the ears and at the nape of the neck. Lice combs were useless. And the formulation of RID at the time actually damaged my scalp so now the oil level in my hair makes it so the bastards can't anchor; last time I encountered someone with lice, I was the only one that didn't end up with 'em.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some strains of lice have built up an immunity to RID and NIX, because of the poisons in them. We use LiceFree! It dissolves the glue that hold eggs to your hair, also it slicks up hair so that the lice comb out easily. I also use the electric lice comb because it kills lice on contact.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
              Some strains of lice have built up an immunity to RID and NIX, because of the poisons in them. We use LiceFree! It dissolves the glue that hold eggs to your hair, also it slicks up hair so that the lice comb out easily. I also use the electric lice comb because it kills lice on contact.
              The comb as well is good for lice detection. Don't use it around pets though because the high-pitched noise will freak them out. It basically makes a high-pitched whine as it's turned on, then as it goes through the hair, it'll stop making said whine whenever it comes into contact with the lice. It DOESN'T get rid of the eggs though as far as I'm aware.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
              X