This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jetfire View Post
    I do hope (but suspect it won't happen) that the wapper's experience would discourage kid acts from applying on the show. Unless the judges can somehow convince the producers to set a 13 years and up age limit, it's probably not going to happen though. (And the Wapper wasn't even 'cute bad'; he was just bad).
    While I agree with your assessment of the "wapper," I am glad the show does not have such an age limit, or we would have missed out on last season's Anna Graceman. And from what I've heard (though have not witnessed myself), the season before that there was another standout young lady, also not quite 13.

Look, most of the kid acts are not much beyond somewhat cute. A few do have talent, but most of those are "potential for the future" talent, not a million dollar act. But every now and then, that one in a million comes along, and they are not simply cute or good "for their age," but they are just downright damn good. And that makes it worth putting up with most of the mediocre kid acts. And besides, let's face it, a lot of the adult acts don't even have the cuteness factor working for them. Talent comes (or doesn't) in all ages. And that's why I'm glad they don't have that age cutoff on this show.

Just my opinion.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Last night's show was decent, and we got decent talent, but limited wow factor, I think.

First up, Inspire the Fire. Love the concept, like the basis behind their group, and it was great to see that they had the dancing and singing talent to back it up. And yes, they're easier to watch than Glee. Not that that's hard. Wasn't a fan of the mix song they did though, which threw me. Good overall though.

Bikini Bombshells....you know, the judges covered it all. I can't add to that any. Good Lord, ladies. >.< Actually, I think I can. Kabe said while watching, "How'd they make that boring?"

The circus show...abstract art thing? Um...I'm backing away. Slowly. *flees*

Scissors guy was lame, obviously the dance group after him was as well, and the rapper disturbed me. The male dancer really needed a partner. At least give us something pretty to look at.

All That were rather awesome. So very country though. But good dancers. I'm with the judges. That was out of left field.

Hula Hoop artist I wanted to see more of, but what I saw was pretty amazing.

The magician seemed pretty slick, and the tricks were impressive, but I got the feeling that his full performance was being edited for time while watching.

Boss. Um. Liked the dance, but masculine? Masculine dance? Um...that's a word I guess...

Michael Griffin is a talented escape artist, I'm sure, but Sharon's right. He really needed somebody who knew what they were doing in tying him to really show off. I got the point that by using Howard it shows he does it without practice but...that was just bad.

Distinguished Men of Brass had to be my favorite act of the evening. That was a well executed brass performance. I'd love to see them in a slightly bigger area to do a full marching style performance though. I can tell they have that in them.

And Ulysses...nice voice, but I'm not a fan of his music selection. That's probably an age thing though. I'm with Howard on this one; it's not a million dollar act. But Kabe thinks he has a career in singing for commercials, so there's that.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Inspire the Fire. They did inspire me. I thought they were pretty good. Maybe not million dollar good, but good. Hopefully will show us something next time.

Bikini Bombshells Yeah Kabe (via Khel) pretty much covered it. Bikini clad beautiful females..and they were tragically boring. Next.

The circus show? Not backing away slowly..running as far and as fast as I can.

Khel pretty much covered scissor guy/et al.

All That put some costumes on them, add in some showmanship..and they COULD be a million dollar act.

Hula Hoop artist Need to see more, but wasn't for me.

The magician nothing I haven't seen before. Unless he does something soon, next please.

Boss. Not my thing. *shrug*

Michael Griffin absolutely boring. Looked like he was having some sort of fit. Not for me. Next.

Distinguished Men of Brass I agree with Khel here..they have great potential. Like All That..they need to add a bit more showmanship..but they could be one of the acts to beat.

And Ulysses...I don't get it. All Beef Patty got by easy..and this guy didn't? Much better voice in my opinion..and I liked the songs. Has an amusement factor also.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

The difference is All Beef Patty already had a bit of showmanship and a neat voice. Ulysses has a nice voice but...Lord, he's clean. And that's not a bad thing, but I cannot envision him singing anything that really wows me, especially given his interview before hand. His music's not for me.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Distinguised Men of Brass was the Wow act of the night. They started out and you expected a standard marching band type music, and they started singing, playing and dancing, and doing all three well. Their look is fantastic; I hope they don't change it too much and just amp up the core parts of the act somehow. One of the main contenders so far and an easy push to New York (not just Las Vegas).

All That was good too. Their look made them somewhat memorable, but that'll be the angle to play up.

Hula Hoop artist, should be easy to bring past Vegas but not much past that. Should be an interesting act, fascinating to watch. She's got the shape and the last glimpse we saw made her look like a human slinky.

Inspire was good, a double threat but they need to work on their dancing a bit more IMO.

Magician was the standard fare. A little wowed but nothing we haven't seen before.

The rest of the acts, I pretty muhc agreed with every one else and the judges.

Comment

Just finished watching the Tampa auditions, and I have to say, I can sum it up in one word: yawn.

Seriously, I kept waiting for an act to make me stand up and go "YES!"...and it never happened. Seriously, I have been to Tampa, I've had fun in Tampa, I've had several wow moments in Tampa....Tampa, how could you let me down with this utter collection of snoozers? There was some talent, sure, but nothing that made my jaw drop or make me smile from surprise. If I had to pick just one act, I would like to see more of the Hula Hoop artist, not because she's hot--though that doesn't hurt--but because I've seen some hula hoop artists before, and she truly has taken it to a level I've never seen. The one and only time in the night when I thought to myself, "I haven't seen THAT before!" (Well, I thought the same thing about Ulysses's hair, but not in a good way.)

At several points in the show, I kept thinking of my knife, and how pleasant it would be to run it through my throat. Worst auditions show of AGT that I've seen yet in my two seasons of watching. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. Tampa, you let me down, and now you're actually making me hope that ST. LOUIS can deliver what you couldn't? Seriously?

Sad.

Okay, St. Louis....show me what you've got.

Still A Customer."

Comment

And St. Louis delivered.

Did we get a million dollar act? Well....probably not.

But first, my major complaint from the St. Louis show: It seemed like there were a lot of talented acts that we saw only snippets of, that they didn't show us much of at all, and frankly, I would have liked to have seen them. Especially after the disaster that was Tampa. I think AGT owed us that much. But, whatever.

The escape artist I liked, and would have liked more, if I had not seen that exact stunt done by a guy who almost won Australia's Got Talent. No, I don't make a habit out of watching the Australian version, but a link to that guy's act provided by one of our posters here provided me the chance to see the magician/illusionist/escape artist that came within a Justin Bieber wannabe of winning it all. And while I know that most of America has not seen that particular escape before, or the Australian performer in question, I have to say, he did the same escape with far more flair than his American copycat counterpart. Still, a good act, and I would like to see more. Especially if he can do something a bit more....oh, I dunno.....ORIGINAL.

Isaac Brown. This kid annoyed me. Just irritated me. Too cute, too cocky, too hammy. I knew I'd hate him. And then he sang. And for his age, the kid actually CAN sing, and CAN dance, and is actually an entertaining performer. Damn him. Is he a million dollar act? No. But so far, the best kid act of the season.

The freak show. Freaky and entertaining. Well done.

The Irish cloggers: well done, though probably not a headliner.

There were several other acts that impressed me as well, despite the fact that the first few minutes of the show seemed like a carryover from Tampa, and I was ready to grab my knife and start gouging out both my eyes and ears. Luckily, things picked up.

Texas should be interesting.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I agree Isaac Brown was a good act. He's got a quick mind, a good voice and good moves. Though I may have punched my ticket to hell, but with his song choice the first thing that came to mind is "MJ is reincarnated already?"

That all said, I still say that AGT needs an age limit though. Or at least tighter screening to keep "wappers" from getting through to the public rounds.

The escape artist, he did the standard escape trick; I suspect that in reality, the trap wouldn't really shut until his weight was off the middle bar anyways so it was fake danger, but it was good showbiz.

Cloggers were good. Not the winners; possibly not even finalists, but they should make it on to the Voting rounds easily, just on the cute factor alone.

They had a big "Yes" montage that didn't show much of the acts they were saying yes to, so it felt like there is a lot from St Louis going through to Vegas.

Comment

Finally getting to watch it.

And promptly ignoring the first five minutes. Oh God.

Isaac Brown was teeth shatteringly cute. As in causing cavities cute. But in terms of talent, I'm with Jetfire. He's definitely early MJ talent.

Spencer was a neat act. I'm interested to see what he escapes from next.

The Yes montage, I'm wondering how many we'll actually see when Vegas rolls around. They always cut a good portion out before holding the Vegas auditions.

I liked Little Ozzy just for his guts. And the overall look. His voice started okay, but that ended badly.

I'm not talking about the freak show. Just...*shudders*

I liked the voice over guy, but that's not a million dollar act.

Definitely better than Tampa's acts though.
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

The escape artist I liked, and would have liked more, if I had not seen that exact stunt done by a guy who almost won Australia's Got Talent. No, I don't make a habit out of watching the Australian version, but a link to that guy's act provided by one of our posters here provided me the chance to see the magician/illusionist/escape artist that came within a Justin Bieber wannabe of winning it all. And while I know that most of America has not seen that particular escape before, or the Australian performer in question, I have to say, he did the same escape with far more flair than his American copycat counterpart.
                      Dude, we end up getting America's So You Think You Can dance and a few other US competition shows, it's only fair that I pass on some of our home-grown talent

For the record, the magician that Jester is referring to is known as Consentino and I've seen him live before (pre-AGT he did an act at the Royal Adelaide Show). He is GOOD.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

In one of these threads (maybe this one?) someone directed me to Consentino. As the resident professional magician on this site, people will often ask me my opinion of various magicians they see on AGT and elsewhere. As for Consentino....he is VERY good, based upon the online videos I've seen.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          In one of these threads (maybe this one?) someone directed me to Consentino. As the resident professional magician on this site, people will often ask me my opinion of various magicians they see on AGT and elsewhere. As for Consentino....he is VERY good, based upon the online videos I've seen.
                          that was me.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

OMG the 10-year-old mariachi singer...too cute!

Tim Poe - even without the sob story, I'm impressed
                            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The Mariachi singer was adorable! Loved the voice and his attitude.

The balance brothers was impressive as well.

Tim Poe...I was crying after the story; I was still crying by the time he was done. I was so happy that his voice was amazing after that story. He deserves to move forward so much.

The Contortionists and Piano Kid were both great. Wish they had been a bit more focused on.

Lulu had a lot of guts. But she really needed to probably take a year and get back in a bit more shape. She gets back in shape, she definitely has the moves in there to support her for another run.

Joe Castillo...um...wow. That was wow. I didn't know you could do something like that. Wow. That was a great artistic endeavor.

David, the human cannonball. His act was thrilling by sheer fact of the danger. And the camera editing definitely played that up.
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Mariachi singer I really didn't like. *shrugs* Each their own I guess.

The balance brothers team (Uncle and Nephew I believe) was ok, but the 'loosing balance' seemed planned more then real.

Tim Poe What can I say. Reminds me of Mel Tillis. After the story I was so rooting for him, and he delivered and then some. With that backstory, and that voice, he may be the person to beat.

Joe Castillo very impressive, and I loved it. Just wonder how he is going to amp it up over the weeks..same with..
                                David, the human cannonball. Human Cannonball is always interesting, just not sure how to ramp it up over the weeks.

For those not familiar with Mel Tillis...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Tillis
                                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X