This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I Need It Now!

My wonderful fiance is a manager for a rather upscale grocery chain in CT, mostly specializing in their cheese and deli department. Mainly his job is to order X amount of cheese every so often, cut it and price it. Sometimes he likes to get fancy and flavor the cheese with rubbed spices and such.

He hates going away on vacation with me sometimes because when he comes back nobody's taken care of his section at all. He's sent me photos of his cheese bins completely bare before, and he'd been gone for a week.

He shared this story with me yesterday.

Cast:

D: my fiance
    C: We all know who this is

C:Why don't you have any more ___?
    D:I'm sorry, we sold out
    C:Why!?
    D:It comes in Thursday, goes out for sale in Friday, and sometimes sells out by Monday.
    C:Order more then!
    D:It's fresh cheese, we only order a small amount because it only has a week shelf life
    C:Well then order more after the weekend!
    D:We only get one delivery per week
    C:Well how do I get some then!
    D:Best chance is to come in Friday or Saturday, or call us and we'll set some aside for you
    C:Okay, I'll do that then *storms off*

Two weeks later......on Tuesday

C:Why don't you have any more!? Again, two weeks in a row, are you not carrying it anymore!!?
    D:Yes we are, we just sold out again. It was a very busy weekend.
    C:That doesn't help me!
    D:You could have called and asked us to put some aside for you
    C:How's that going to help me now, I need it now.
    D:There's nothing I can do but suggest you call ahead and ask us to set some aside for you or come in Saturday and buy some before it sells out again
    C:This is ridiculous!! *storms off*

And the concept of supply and demand goes whizzing over their heads.

Funny, I went to an expensive pet supply store for a specific toy, made of rabbit fur and leather. It's silly, I know but my cat loves it and he's 11 years old, so I try to find things which he responds to. Anyway, it's a popular item and has a limited supply due to the nature of the materials. The salesperson knew exactly what item it was just by my description, and also knew when they get shipments of it, and suggested I call and have one held for me. Was I upset they didn't have it? No, I was happy to get this information so that I will be able to get one held. But then again, I'm a reasonable person.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Why do so many people think "I need it now" is the same as "it should be available now"? If I know I need a thing and have any kind of advance warning, I'll try to get it as early as I can to be sure I actually have it when I need it. /alsoreasonable
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

They want the worker to pull the item out of their ass, totally ignoring the relevant sanitation and food safety concerns. >_>
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
          Are we sure that this isn't the same guy that punched Yup?
          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

There have been times when I totally needed something NOW due to my bad planning. When I have found that the store I thought would have what I needed was out, I did say "I need it now" followed by "do you have any ideas where else I can go to get it?" Screaming never happens, this was all my fault because I'm a dumbass, which I will mention while begging for help.

Oddly enough, this approach seems to be pretty successful.

Comment

Why is Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch playing in my head?
              Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                Why is Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch playing in my head?
                Hold you fire, Cleese. They have cheese....just not that type.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post

"Well, I would like to sleep with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but we can't always get what we want, can we, Sir?"

Comment

I'm kind of with the cust-If it's selling like that, why not order more? Doesn't sound like he's throwing any out.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

He's limited to how much he can order at one time per his boss's orders. He's told her a few times they should order, say, $4000 worth of a product instead of the $2000 worth since it goes so quick, her logic is maybe it'll sell this fast now and then next time it won't.

She's a bit of a lunkhead.

Comment

Gotta love stubborn bosses x.x It's CHEESE. It's not like the "extra" is gonna go bad in the week or so between deliveries >_>
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She's really a bit of a killjoy. His favorite thing to do is order a cheese that retails at, say, $5 a pound, hand rub it with spices and seasonings or flavorings, then turn around and sell it for $10 a pound. The CEO of the company (it's a small chain, mind you), love it. She hates when he does it since "we're the only store that does it, stop it" and it baffles him. I think last year he pulled in close to $300K extra revenue with the cheese? It kills me because he can get so creative with it and she does this stuff.

Comment

"We're the only store that does it" = Friggin MONOPOLY on the item. Anyone wanting to buy this kind of thing HAS to come here.

Comment

I can see the manager's point, too. If it only keeps a week, you want a fast sell-through. We sell clothing, so something that sits on the shelf may get dusty or go out of style. No one's going to post on Yelp they got it home and found a speck of mold on it.

A couple years ago, a young woman thought she could subsidize her lifestyle by claiming a bucket of fried chicken had maggots in it. I guess it never occurred to her that the general public understood going from a frier to a heat lamp would kill maggots, and old chicken is just thrown away. It didn't help that the same woman had posted one or two gofundme requests for herself in the previous months.

Comment

Working...
                              X