This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-service (kinda long)

This is not a workplace story, so that's why it's here.

I've had to be dragged kicking and screaming into 2020 -- I need to upgrade my cellphone to allow data so I can do the curbside payment thing where needed. My old pay-as-you-go plan (strictly text and talk) had expired, and I hadn't renewed it, so the phone number eventually expired as well.

So I called my carrier, and made arrangements to receive the new SIM card.

Two weeks later, I called back to ask how long it should take.

Rep: "Oh, three to five days."

Me: "Um, it's been two weeks now."

Rep: *gives me the tracking number*

So I tracked it.

It's sitting in the Alphabet Courier Company's local central warehouse, along with who knows how many other parcels. At the time I tracked it down, it had been sitting there for four days.

I spent one entire evening on the phone, trying to talk to an actual human being at ACC. I called three times. In each case I was on hold for nearly two hours before the call finally just dropped.

I finally called a local ACC outlet during business hours. No, the public isn't allowed at the central warehouse. No, there are no delivery dates scheduled.

Needless to say, ACC's Facebook page is on fire with enraged people waiting for parcels.

I called carrier back. They checked into my story and advised me to get the card myself at a local store -- the Mart of Walls carries it, as does Buy the Best. I tried Mart of Walls but I think there was a communications snafu. At my workplace, a young coworker advised me to go to Buy the Best instead. So today I drove there, rather late in the day ... and there were some 30 people lined up outside the door.

Yeah, I don't want to upgrade THAT badly. They open at 11 a.m. tomorrow; I will head down there around 10 a.m. and perch myself outside the door and hopefully get it done tomorrow.

And ACC can wait for hell to freeze over to deliver that parcel, for all I care. Whenever it does show up, I'll just post it back to my carrier.

Oh, my carrier also deducted the cost of the card from the bill for my new plan. Also, I think I was on hold for maybe three minutes before somebody picked up the phone.

I should add that I'm well aware that the front-line employees at ACC are not responsible for this SNAFU (and that they are likely catching a dozen kinds of hell only because they are the face of the company). This is corporate refusing to hire anywhere near enough people to get the job done (on the FB page I saw several comments that FX seemed to be doing just fine ....) And ironically, my first contact with my carrier gave me the information that they normally (I think) use Canada Post but because of some "issues" with service, had decided to go with ACC instead ... if that's true, I suspect they are regretting that now.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 05-25-2020, 02:14 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Does ACC's actual name start with a D and end with an L? If so, they're notorious for sucking at the best of times. I've raised all-mighty hell more than once when they've dropped the ball, and this was way before the whole coronavirus thing. If I'm given an option of using them, FX, or Purolator, I'll go with anybody other than them, even if it costs more. I have even backed out of ordering from online stores who exclusively use them because I'd like to actually get my damn item in a reasonable time frame.

Comment

No ... I don't even know what that company is, offhand. It starts with a U ... and ends with an S.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Oh! I know what one you're talking about now! With all the issues you were dealing with it sounded a lot like DHL, to be honest.

Comment

If its any consolation, i ordered something from an offshore site that is currently sitting in a central shipping port, since Feb. I honestly dont expect it to move any time soon, as the port its in is less than 200 miles from Wuhan.....
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
            If its any consolation, i ordered something from an offshore site that is currently sitting in a central shipping port, since Feb. I honestly dont expect it to move any time soon, as the port its in is less than 200 miles from Wuhan.....
            Wow. That is NOT good.

The card finally showed up, and no, I did not snarl at the poor UPS delivery guy. I'm sure he's had enough of that already. I just thanked him and joked about what a Luddite I am.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X