Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you feel like Winston in GB2 seeing the train coming...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you feel like Winston in GB2 seeing the train coming...

...and wish it it was real.

Ugh, Brace yourself, this is a bit of a slog. At least it was for me.

Nov 4 - I get a call to do an emergency desktop replacement at a bank branch halfway across the city for the following Monday. Okay, no problem. get the details and follow protocol.

Nov 7 - I arrive at the branch at the proper time and ask where the replacement system is. Get told it's the one that's set up that they're having the issue with. Okay, I'm figuring that there's 3 systems involved in this, the original one, a first replacement that isn't working, and a new one that wasn't delivered. Call the command desk, relay info. Command desk says nothing can be done. Given the green light to go home. Total time on site, half an hour.

Nov 9 - At another branch doing standard laptop replacement. Get request to return to earlier branch as system has now arrived. Agree and follow protocol.

Nov 10 - Arrive on site, system still not delivered. A more in depth investigation occurs and the pieces fall into place. There was no third system. On the 3rd the replacement system arrived with no notification to hold for technician. User and regional manager think they have to set it up on their own with neither having any knowledge of how to do so. They disconnect the old system, reconnect it and sent the replacement system back all on the 3rd. Contact asset manager, new replacement system is being shipped out and user is instructed to hold it for technician. Released from site by command desk. Time on site, 1 hour.

Nov 11 - Get request to go to the branch yet again for replacement on Nov 15. Agree, note hope that equipment is there this time and follow protocol.

Nov 15 - Arrive on site. See new system is actually there yay! Get set up and swap out the hardware. Boot up system. No OS installed. Okay, I have to reimage. Start reimage. System restarts. Repeat process several times and look for different points of entry. No luck. Call command desk. Get informed database needs to be updated to start reimage process. I have to system to access database to update info. Command desk does so for me and submits entry. 1 hour wait for database to be updated. 1 hour later confirm database is updated. Start reimage process. 4 hour process. Process finishes. I start install of standard applications for the system. Application catalog rejects requests for install. Run through diagnostics, find no errors. Command desk called. Run through diagnostics with command desk. Same results. Best guess it the catalog is undergoing maintenance and cannot be accessed at the time. Finish configuration for user, inform them that applications could not be installed. Testing determined that the applications are not rush and can be handled by tech support the following morning. No time to even determine if old system can be scrubbed let alone do the process. Note in install report for secure pickup. Inform user install is complete as there's no reason for another revisit for remaining issues. User and branch manager agree. Make sure old system is prepped for secure pickup. Leave. Time spent on site. 7.5 hours. Sanity. Gone.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Half a month to get the system replaced, most of my clients would be calling for my head if that were the case. Glad you have processes in place for this

Comment

Oh the branch manager was livid by this point. Fortunately I'm so far down the chain and my work process consists of "come in, replace system, test system, leave" that the branch manager realized trying to take my head off is going to do fuck all. The fact that I made a point of keeping her up to date on all the info as well helped matters.

Ugh, the past two months seem to have been a case of "how can people fuck this up so badly?" In addition to that one, I had two branch refreshes where I was told the systems are fully prepped only to find out they weren't at all, doubling the time on site for both (and these are evening work so it's pretty late when I get out and the weather was shit), a laptop replacement where the user had been using the new one for a week and a half and sent the old one away, a double laptop replacement which ended up dealing with 5 laptops (don't ask) and another desktop replacement that I was told the new system was prepped only to find out it wasn't and the new one didn't even have the proper hardware installed for me to do the work. GAH!
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
      X