Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen, just because I don't have the information that you want, doesn't mean my office is "useless."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Hey, if you don't involve me in some major change or addition to our technology, don't be surprised if it takes me a bit to learn about it when there's a problem!

What's happened this year? 1: Change to new website host over the summer, pushed out first week of school. No input in design or implementation. I get complaints about missing and having new information posted in a timely manner. Had to go through a bit of a learning curve and need assistance on one part to put it all up, and that's just the parts that have been noticed.

2: Added teacher goal-oriented program, uses AD for account info. No involvement, pushed out this year. How would I know who to contact when a teacher can't log in? Tech Director got that mess straightened out, but I still don't know what to do if it happens again.

3: New camera system installed last year. Except for requests for IP addressing, no involvement. Tech Director's not even involved. Elementary Principal's camera system computer goes down because of botched Windows Update. I could do a reinstall with our copy of Windows, but I don't know if there was any special configurations, IP addressing, I don't even know if the computer's under a warranty. I'm hoping tomorrow a look at the High School Principal's computer will give me some clues...

Comment

Them: "Hey, so this guy's admin account expired, but he didn't get the 30-day warning that it was due to expire."
        J2K: "Okay..."
        Them: "We wanted to know if there was a way to reactivate his account without having to go through the official account request process."
        J2K: "...No. There is not. Doesn't matter if he didn't get the advanced notice-- and I agree, it sucks that he didn't get it-- but that doesn't change the fact it's expired, and you have to go through the official process."

The process is there for a reason, folks! Stop trying to sidestep it!
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Them: "How do I do [x]?"
          J2K: "You can't. It's not possible."
          Them: "Okay. So how do I do [x]?"
          J2K: "..."

Sigh.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            Them: "How do I do [x]?"
            J2K: "You can't. It's not possible."
            Them: "Okay. So how do I do [x]?"
            J2K: "..."

Sigh.
            Or, my pet peeve variation on that:

CC: "Your options are X or Y."
            Them: "But I want it to do Z."
            CC: "This system doesn't allow for that, you can do either X or Y."
            CC: "Z can't be done with this. You'll have to go with either X or Y and figure out the rest for yourself."
            CC: *head explodes*
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
              Hey, guys - see that tag in Jira, right side near the top of the ticket? It's green, kind of rounded, and says, in white, "RESOLVED"?

That means the ticket's been RESOLVED.

SO QUIT UPDATING IT!

Kthxbye.
              ...and they're still updating it (four times since I was out on Thursday to take the Elder Beast on a college visit).
              Last edited by EricKei; 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM.
              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but do you think your 30 Start tabs might be the reason Firefox is slow? Especially since a few of them (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc) are trying to constantly auto-refresh?

Really, how many of those do you actually check every day? Just set 5 or fewer frequent ones and bookmark the rest like a normal user.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but do you think your 30 Start tabs might be the reason Firefox is slow? Especially since a few of them (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc) are trying to constantly auto-refresh?

Really, how many of those do you actually check every day? Just set 5 or fewer frequent ones and bookmark the rest like a normal user.
                  "But Firefox says it can handle thousands of open tabs!"

Yeah, but your system can't.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Mine can, but I have a midrange gaming desktop system and the computer with the complaint is my mom's laptop. She also saves all her passwords in the browser and won't run CCleaner because she thinks that will delete them (I doubt she knows what half the autofilled passwords are). So there's probably all sorts of junk clogging the works that I'm not allowed to get rid of even though she has no idea what said junk is.

(if she has to pay for help she might learn to watch/listen so she can do the simple stuff herself next time, but I've tried that and she thinks she shouldn't have to, even if 'payment' is only a coffee or three from Dunkin)

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      "But Firefox says it can handle thousands of open tabs!"

Yeah, but your system can't.
                      I have Firefox, and my system can probably handle thousands of tabs. But the bottom line is: My brain can't.

So I only have a few tabs open at most, usually only one or two.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I keep one open on the root of any forum I am reading. Then one for each sub-forum that I want to read, and one tab for each thread in the sub-forum I am currently reading. I close tabs as I read posts, and when I have read all from a sub-forum I close that tab and open the threads I want to read in the next sub-forum.

It's something of a depth-first search...
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I do that as well, or if a forum thread is referring back to an article(s) on the main site I have both the thread and main site open in tabs. I'll close the tabs when I'm done with it, or bookmark it if I think it's something I'll need later.

Half the tabs mom has are for internal account pages that require a login....and the persistence of said login is almost entirely dependent on the site's security settings. It times out after 15 minutes? That's not something I can fix the way you think I can.

Comment

I had the thing I hate most happen to me 2 times today; users who lie.

First, the user that tried to run thick card stock through a color laser printer without checking to see if the settings were set for the paper, or if the paper was OK'd to go through it. Now, the printer is streaking black on all pages, even through a cleaning and a toner cart change. I would've believed you saying that 'it was happening before'...except for the fact that I have your first page you ran on standard letter paper, and it's streak-free. Guess who sent that and the streaked copies in an email to his Director?

Second, a user who can't reach our staff paystub site. I told her to check her wireless settings, to make sure that she's on the school staff wireless or on a wired connection. She emails me back, saying that it's on both and can't reach the site. I go over, and you can take a guess of what I found...no wired connection, and the laptop connected to the student computer wireless network.

Comment

From today's "fun"....

So - 3 weeks have passed since the last time you called and forgot you had forwarded your phone to the old voice mail system. And 3 weeks from the last time we sent you the illustrated guide on how to check the above issue and cancel it yourself. (NOTE: The illustrated guide was created for this user the 4th time he had called - 3 months ago).

Every 3 weeks we have the same issue with you.

So a permanent solution was put into place today.

NO FORWARDING EVER FOR YOU!

No matter where you go in the organization, your forward key will be disabled.

You're not worth the effort.

B
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                                Hey, guys - see that tag in Jira, right side near the top of the ticket? It's green, kind of rounded, and says, in white, "RESOLVED"?

That means the ticket's been RESOLVED.

SO QUIT UPDATING IT!

Kthxbye.
                                Need I point out that nearly four months after I posted this, and probably six since I fixed the problem in question (and set the applicable story in Jira to RESOLVED), they're still updating it? Probably at least four times last week alone.

Give us a maintenance window, PLEASE.
                                "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                                X