This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had surgery yesterday

After a couple weeks of drinking only smoothies because the thought of solid food made me nauseous I went to my Dr.(Keep in mind a hurricane happened about this time)
    Dr is like "let's do an ultrasound on your gallbladder"
    Then it's "Your gallbladder is full of stones"

2 weeks later I'm finally in surgery...
    Surgeon is like "Yours is the worst case I've ever seen! Your gallbladder was all beaten and scarred, and you had 3 acorn sized stones that made maneuvering difficult" as they were terrified that they'd drop a stone IN me. They did have to make the incision larger to remove it, and I now have a drain.

Oh my gosh, my sympathies! Mine was inflamed and there were stones, but it wasn't as bad as yours. Hope you feel better soon!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sounds like your surgery went better than mine did two years ago. Don't go looking for that post until you have the drain removed.

I am curious as to why they gave you a drain. Are you leaking bile or are they looking for infection?
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It was explained to me that the incision is bigger, thus blood, thus drain.

Comment

Write that up as the miracles of modern medicine. Years ago, you would have been filleted like a fish and spent a week in the hospital recovering. Then you would have spent two months at home. Now, a complication like yours adds a couple of days to the recovery, and you still have less chance of infection.

May you have a speedy recovery!
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Little over a year ago, I went to the emergency room because my back and after a couple of hours my chest were hurting really badly. A bit over 12 hours later, I was in surgery then spent 3 days in the hospital on some really horrid intravenous antibiotics (plus a week on two OTHER antibiotics when I went home). My gallbladder was going gangrenous, I was told when I woke up afterward, and the surgeon (who specialized in such things) said I had the biggest stone he'd ever seen. It was over an inch in diameter.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I just saw this thread and wanted to check in. How are you feeling?

The drain isn't that unusual. Some doctors use it and others don't. I had my gallbladder out a few years ago and I had to deal with the drain. Annoying to put up with, and kitty kept trying to chew on it.

Hope you're feeling so much better now.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yes. Are you okay?
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                X