Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, we are not responsible for the health of a car you bought as is over a year ago

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, we are not responsible for the health of a car you bought as is over a year ago

So, about 19 months ago, we sold a personal car that had over 210000 miles. It was in pretty good shape, body and interior clean, no peeling paint and I never smoked in it.

We sold it "as is" to someone we found on Craig's List, with no promises that he would even make it home. It had been a very reliable car for us, but at its age...no promises.

7 months ago, the jerk who paid 2500 US for a very old car, called my sweetie and told him that the car had died and he wanted his money back, AND we had to pay for his tow and storage fees.

Sweetie very politely (for him) and asked what was wrong with the car, then questioned SC a little further. As it happened, SC didn't believe in vehicle maintenance unless the seller paid for that, so never bothered to have the oil changed in a car that lived in the desert. Engine seized up, and it was all our fault.

When my sweetie told the SC to pound sand, he said he was going to see us in court.

Today, we went to court. The judge listened to us and looked at the copy of the bill of sale we had, told the SC that he was amazed that the car had lasted that long, then told the SC that the case was dismissed and that he was responsible for the court costs.

You folks have NO idea how hard it was to just sit there quietly while watching the SC loudly demand his rights, and his money back.

Heehee. Sometimes, all ya gotta do is give them enough rope...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Too bad you couldn't find a reason to counter sue, that would've been worth it just for the hassle he caused you.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Good grief, I'm really glad you won. What a stresser and hassle that had to have been for you, though. Guy sounds like a real jerk.

I guess this is just another reminder to document and keep paperwork for larger purchases/sales.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

SC's blood pressure must've hit the roof when the judge effectively told him he was an idiot. What kind of idiot believes the FORMER owner is responsible for maintenance costs??
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Did he have to reimburse you for your court expenses?
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, but we didn't stress over this at all. We had a copy of the bill of sale and the signed title where the SC said the car was his. No court costs. The only reason I took the day off was for the entertainment value!

When the judge very gently (in my mind) explained what "as is" means when buying a car, I thought the SC was going to blow a gasket! At one point when the SC was yelling about miscarriage of justice and appeal, the bailiff stood up, but that was all the drama I have to report.

(We do have an order saying that SC has to pay me for the 2 hours I sat at court instead of being at work, and a pittance for our inconvenience, but we are not holding our breath waiting for the check to show up in the mail.)

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                (We do have an order saying that SC has to pay me ....)
                Hang on to your copy of that order, even if you don't expect compliance. If the SC tries to take you to court again, make sure the judge sees it.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  SC's blood pressure must've hit the roof when the judge effectively told him he was an idiot. What kind of idiot believes the FORMER owner is responsible for maintenance costs??
                  The same idiots that keep Judge Judy, People's Court, Judge Mathis, etc.... in business.

I swear there's at least 2 car cases per show each week, where someone buys a car and then sues because they didn't have it inspected and basically didn't understand 'as is". The OP missed a chance for a trip to LA (or Chicago) and a bit extra cash and the opportunity to see Judy or Marilyn or Greg (Though Mathis doesn't do the car cases as often as the Ladies of the Bench do) tear the SC a new one.

Comment

Fuck, La-de-dodge is dealing with a guy who took the car he didn't even buy here to a third party shop who broke his tire pressure sensor while getting tires put on that he didn't buy from us, who demands we change it under an imaged warranty clause.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                      La-de-dodge
                      This should be the name of a real car dealership.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                        Fuck, La-de-dodge is dealing with a guy who took the car he didn't even buy here to a third party shop who broke his tire pressure sensor while getting tires put on that he didn't buy from us, who demands we change it under an imaged warranty clause.
                        Is it at least a Dodge vehicle? The only thing he's missing is for your dealership to not be the right flavor to honor the warranty, even if one existed.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                          ... The only thing he's missing is for your dealership to not be the right flavor to honor the warranty, even if one existed.
                          But I saw an H/CF451* just like mine out in front of your dealership!

... (it was broken down in the street, but I'm not about to mention that minor item)

*H/CF => Halt/CatchFire
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                            SC didn't believe in vehicle maintenance unless the seller paid for that, so never bothered to have the oil changed in a car that lived in the desert. Engine seized up, and it was all our fault.....he said he was going to see us in court.
                            Sounds like Mrs. TGK's ex. The techs at our local Toyota dealer were aghast the her old Corolla (which her ex refused to maintain) crapped out at only 100000 miles.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My cousin bought a brand new car and couldn't be bothered to get the oil changed... Even when she had free oil changes for the first 50,000 miles. She couldn't understand why the engine locked up at 21,000 miles. She keeps talking about suing the automaker for how fast it died. We can't get her to understand that you can't sue for damage you do to your own car. Sad thing is, the car has been parked next to her house, just rotting away for almost 8 years now. She still thinks it's worth what she paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X