This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Avocado Curse

On my last shift I was being haunted ... by avocados. For the first hour or so, anyway.

1) Several customers came through with avocados. Then came one customer; I checked his stuff out and he paid and I was starting on the next customer when I hear ...

Earlier Customer: "Miss? Miss?"

Me: "Yes?"

EC: "Miss, you've charged me for avocados. They were limes."

Me:

I apologized profusely but unfortunately couldn't fix the situation; he had to go to the smoke shop/lottery ticket purchase area/customer service area of the store, which is between the inner doors and the outer doors.

2) A customer or two later, it's a woman. I ring her stuff through and she's preparing to leave so I start on the next customer. Suddenly he points to something which has rolled up against the register so that I hadn't seen it.

"That's not mine."

It was ... you guessed it ... an avocado. I showed it to the woman, who said yes, it had been hers, and pulled out her wallet.

Me: *plunks it into her bag* "Never mind. It's on me."

Yeah, I doubt if management would be happy, but unless she or the guy behind her is a secret shopper, they're not likely to find out.

3) A couple of customers later, a woman moves up to the register and hands me something, saying "Somebody left it on the candy shelves ... a couple of days ago, from the looks of it."

Yes. It was a grim-looking avocado: very dark and wrinkly.

The Ghost of Avocados Past, as it were.

At that point I decided that any other customers coming through my line with avocados would be sent to some other cashier.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

When life gives you avocados, make guacamole.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

What would make you want to do something so stupid?Guacamole!
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
      X