This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I am not a 'real' artist

So I put this one here, since technically there were no SC's. Just bad vendors.

Okay so Memorial day weekend, I was invited to an outdoor art show. Normally I don't do outdoor/summer shows, since I sell quilts and people consider them to be a winter thing. But I know the guy running the show and he's a great person, plus it's a free show, so I thought hey why not. At least I'm getting out of the house.

The show starts at 8am, and I get there are 7:30 and start setting up. I met my booth neighbors, said hello, all that stuff. I like to be friendly and polite to the other vendors, just because I feel that's the right thing to do. I get all set up and get my cake over to the vendor's potluck table.

Anyway, the way the booths were set up, I was in the back area, with a jewelry booth next to me, and in the front of the row was a painter's booth. The way the painter had set up his booth, if you were walking by, you didn't think there was any other booths behind him.

I will call him creepy painter dude, because he was kinda creeping me out. In the morning, he came over to my booth to say hello and look at the quilts. All perfectly fine until he starting talking about how my art is just blankets and he has 2 gallery shows in local restaraunts. Yeah okay, now I'm really done talking to you. But apparently he liked me, cause he just wouldn't go away. I think I heard his life story several times over. And he kept touching my back and telling me that he used to be a massuse and I shouldn't slouch and he'll give me a massage later for free. Eww just no. Besides I have scoliosis and kyphosis and I don't want to aggravate either.

Plus he'd grab anyone walking near his booth and talk thier ears off. I was reminded of a used car salesman so much. People would turn and walk the other way to get away from him instead of walking down the aisle to see jewelry and quilts.

It was in the high nineties and humid, so we were all sweaty and tired. And of course no one was buying quilts, but I passed out a ton of flyers. The other artists all made thier rounds of the show and I recieved many dirty looks. I had a few people comment that I should be kicked out of the show, since I'm obviously not an artist. You know, I'm sorry my 'art' doesn't have naked ladies all over it, or whatever, but it's still art.

The guy running it is a huge fan of my work (picked up one custom order at that show and ordered another one saturday) and he's planning some more shows in the fall. He told me he's going to be personally selecting the artists for these other shows since most of the artists at this show were not retail oriented kinda people.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

not only can these people not see the beauty in the 'mundane,' they have no idea how much work life was before their precious post-industrial age! They probably decided to slap paint on canvas and somehow manage to be worse than Pollock (no offense to Pollock, I actually think he's done good work making us all think and stuff!/short) because they're too dumb for anything else!
    They have no idea what Art actually is!
    They're just jealous, Kanalah. I hope you stayed hydrated...
    EDIT: I am of the strong opinion that every single item in a house should be beautiful and enjoyable-- especially if you have money for it. I love the idea of adorable cheese graters, super-awesome-shiny kitchen ranges, and, naturally, beautiful quilts and pillows, just to name a few. It's your house! It should be pretty! :3
    Another Edit: ! Creeper is creepin! :shudder:
    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Fabric artists are very malinged sometimes. Quilting is a highly skilled art form. People who think good art is easy are philistines.

When I worked at an art gallery we had a mixed media exhibit by Linda Walton, her fabric pieces were amazing!

Don't be discouraged!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quilting is a craft, but making your own designs and patterns is very much an art and Kanalah is a really talented artist.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          Quilting is a craft, but making your own designs and patterns is very much an art and Kanalah is a really talented artist.
          Quilting IS an art, it is considerd an 'applied art' as opposed to 'fine art'.
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

At the time I was really confused and frustrated, but now I just laugh about it.

I don't fit in with the local quilting groups since I'm too young and too "artsy" for thier tastes. And now I don't fit in with the artists because I'm too normal.

Eh at least my clients love my work. And I look 'normal' enough that they don't mind talking to me either.

Comment

You can argue a lot about what is and isn't art. I don't consider most of what I make to be art, because I'm producing other people's designs, so there's no element of creativity involved. (And as often as not they're annoyingly nit-picky about exactly how I do so too. *sigh*) But I've done a few things I think of as art. And quilting can definitely be art as well! (Though I wouldn't call it art if you're just copying patterns from some quilt book without putting anything of yourself into it.)
              The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

*gives plate of cookies*

*mumbles something about stupidity of humans in general* Grr. Why. Why are people so dumb about art?
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  And he kept touching my back and telling me that he used to be a massuse and I shouldn't slouch and he'll give me a massage later for free. Eww just no.
                  Since masseuse is the feminine, you could tell him you'd be happy to help him with his goal, then bring out the BIG scissors.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

It amazes me how dumb people in general are about art. They think you just type an idea into a computer or a machine and it makes your art for you. Or they see some cheap piece of sweatshop crap at a retail store for only a couple dollars and think they are getting "ripped off" by an artist's one-of-a-kind piece.

I don't quilt, but I sew and it is a right pain in the ass doing it by hand. Something might not look like it took much work to an artistically-retarded individual, but it takes a long time to sew or paint or draw something. Shit, today I made a dummy for an art project - it's basically just a little fabric sock that goes over a remote and it's glued together. It took me two hours to make!

Art takes on a lot of different forms and meanings - torn paper, old tires, shredded metal. Some morons think that only one or two things qualify as art, and anything involving "crafty" stuff like knitting or making puppets or what not seem to have a reputation among the ignorant masses as not being "real" art. I guess some dumbasses feel that if it's not a drawing or otherwise something created on a flat canvas, it's not art.

And eww, creepy freak is creepy. And fuck him with a rusty screwdriver for driving people off before they could see your quilts. I hope he's not at the next art show if he's going to shove his wares down people's throats and touch you constantly.

Comment

I've seen your art, even received/purchased some of it, if anybody doubts what you do is art..feel free to tell them they can have a nice long chat with me.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                        how my art is just blankets and he has 2 gallery shows in local restaraunts
                        Someone needs to tell him that restaurants aren't galleries and the only reason they are displaying his paintings is it's because free decoration for the restaurants. Saves them having to actually buy any. I wonder if he has sold any of those show paintings.

Comment

Honestly, I would avoid putting painted art in restaurants if I were the artist. Fats and oils and steam in the air, potentially plus the smoking section, potentially plus champagne spray.

If I felt I had to, I'd definitely have it framed and glassed over, and pop in every week to wash the glass and the frame.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                            You know, I'm sorry my 'art' doesn't have naked ladies all over it, or whatever, but it's still art.
                            Two of my best friends run a shop that is mostly 99.% handmade crafts. Jewelry, some paintings, handmade silk table covers, etc. If you're ever in the New England area I'll let them know you're coming.

For the record: My art involves a cellphone sitting on a toilet and I still get crap from local artists about how much money they spent on their art classes, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals, you always know how to cheer me up.

I really had to bite my tongue with creepy painter dude. He bragged about how he loved 'really obscure artist' and how he was copying his style. I had to hold myself back from saying, "You know I took art classes from 5th grade into college and I thought it was about finding your own style, not copying someone else's work."

My style just involves fabric.

Comment

Working...
                              X