Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is about the most depressing thing that could have happened...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is about the most depressing thing that could have happened...

Gotta rant about this somewhere, might be kinda long.
    So I work as a graphics assistant for a little magazine. There are two people in graphics, me and the Graphics Director (GD). Basically I put together 2 monthly magazines, and he deals with putting stuff on the web and sending the magazines to the printers.

Recently I found out that GD was planning on leaving soon, and he was going to give the recommendation to the Vice President of the company for me to take over his duties, which honestly wouldn't add much to the responsibilities I had already. In theory this means I get put on as full time, salaried, with benefits, vacation, etc. Being young and just over a year out of college, I'm ecstatic.

So, the day he's handing in his resignation comes around, and VP calls a company meeting. We had somebody leave not too long ago, and a meeting was called for that, so I'm assuming this is about GD leaving. So what's the worst thing that could happen?

The meeting is more mundane, like you need to label your food in the fridge?
    VP didn't like the recomendation and wants help hiring a more experienced GD?
    Maybe VP didn't like the recommendation and wanted to fire me on the spot?
    Nah, any of those would have been far better.

Nope, GD hadn't even handed in his 2 weeks yet. The owner sold the magazine to another publisher far out of state, so we're all out of jobs in 2 weeks. Now we've got to rush out the last issue a week before the deadline, and morale in the office is just gone.

I know life isn't fair, but it's just so depressing to have that potential promotion built up for about 2 months, only to have it completely go away because of something I had no say in.
    It makes sense.

Oh man that just sucks.
    /hugs

Comment

That's awful. Owners of these smaller companies sell their business for a huge profit and completely screw over all the people working for them.

The same thing happened to me years ago when I worked for an internet provider. Within a year we were all out on the street.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I looked at your name and figured I would want to Portal-gun someone to the moon by the end of your post. I was right.

Hopefully, you can get a good reference saying that you were reccomended for a promotion just before the company was sold. Working hard until the last day is a good sign for your next employer (and good for collecting unemployment).

Comment

That mega-sucks. I hope you find something else soon, something great that you'll enjoy.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can totally relate. I've had that happen to me three times. Every indication was that I'd get the promotion. Only it would go to someone that a manager is personal friends with or something. If they have no intention of ever giving it to you, I just wish they'd never bring it up in the first place.

Comment

Wow. What a rotten thing for them to do. I'm really sorry this happened to you. A similar thing happened to my sister-in-law and her daughter, who were working for a CPA...without telling them ahead of time, he decided to sell the business. The guy who took over was a real asshat and either he was never around or if he was, he was locked in his office and didn't want to be bothered. Eventually the two of them decided to open their own accounting and bookkeeping office, and most of the clients of the original business ended up going with them instead. Karma's a bitch.

Hope you find something else very soon. I'm sure you're great at what you do, and I'm jealous, I really want to get into graphic arts.
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone, luckily if I can't find anything new I should be able to fall back on my seasonal job doing school portraits.

I should clarify, nobody really did anything rotten to me exclusively.
                J, who I call my boss, though we really don't have a strict chain-of-command here, was training me to take over my position, and was going to make the recommendation to K and E, the VP and owner, respectively. K and E had no idea J was leaving, and they made the announcement before J resigned. I found out from K that I likely would have gotten the promotion.
                But I am leaving with a nice letter of recommendation, a gift from the VP, and all the office supplies I could ask for.

The only rotten part is that the owner knew about 2 weeks before telling us, and still didn't give us a full 2 weeks notice. The office is open Monday-Thursday, we found out last Tuesday, and we're closing up this Thursday.
                It makes sense.

Comment

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about it. =( It sucks that they didn't give you much notice!

Comment

Working...
                  X