This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New legislation protects Scottish shop staff from customer abuse

New legislation has been passed to protect Scottish shop workers from abuse from customers.

The Protection of Workers Bill will make it a new specific offence to assault, abuse or threaten staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-55726381

This kind of thing is overdue. Yes there are laws that cover abuse like this, but pulling them all together makes it easier to point out to people that what they are doing is wrong.

Now if we can just get management to enforce these protections...

Comment

No comment on a non-US law. But yea if they need body cams..I guess more needs to be done.

Here I would be conflicted..I really agree and have been on the receiving side and it would be just one more charge that might not do much but at least it's something. But it could be used to muffle real cust complaints on bad shops.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
        it could be used to muffle real cust complaints on bad shops.
        This is a legitimate point, but I think real complaints could still be handled, as long as the abuse doesn't come with it.

Body cams on employees is an interesting idea. Other than that, you'd probably need a lot of cameras (with sound) in shops.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'm quite willing to trade a handful of legitimate claims being discounted in exchange for the virtual death of Karenism.

To me the sticking point will be corporations and mismanagers. How do we protect workers against them if they choose to intervene on Karen's behalf? "If you call the police, you're fired . . ." types of things.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
            I'm quite willing to trade a handful of legitimate claims being discounted in exchange for the virtual death of Karenism.

To me the sticking point will be corporations and mismanagers. How do we protect workers against them if they choose to intervene on Karen's behalf? "If you call the police, you're fired . . ." types of things.
            That would fall under constructive dismissal and witness intimidation laws.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
            X