This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You didn't want to do that, but you had to.. didn't you

My father (81 years old) Worked in Timber for the vast majority of his life. True, he was logging in the days when mules/etc were used instead of vehicles. He also was not very educated, but when it come to all things logs, he knew what he was doing. I was very young at the time, maybe 12.. and though he had been injured and could no longer do the physical aspects of the job, he was always come to for his experience.

Until the local logging company was bought out by a new owner, who had never logged a day in his life. He was 'college educated' though, so surely he knew more then somebody who stopped going to school in second grade.. right? Well as usual, my dad was an unofficial supervisor, totally volunteer (unpaid).. and was directing some of the younger people oh how to fill up a truck with the most logs..with the least amount of fuss. I was observing, he wanted me to learn logging (and to this day I have NO clue about anything doing with logs. Can't even tell you what is a hickory or an oak).

The new owner comes up, and informs the crew that he has some large planes of glass that he is wanting moved.. so why not on this truck..full of logs. Now I was young, but even I could have told him .. You are out of your mind. No, no, they will be secured.. not much jostling or moving.. they would be fine.

My father tried to reason with him, explaining how glass and logs just do not mix. My dad had to be wrong though, new boss had thought of everything :eyeroll:

My dad finally just shakes his head, and moves me and any of the crew that listened to him far far away. Some of the crew, however, couldn't risk upsetting the boss, so they did as he asked.. and then they too got Waaaaayyy back. My dad did something I didn't understand at first, he went in front of the truck.. paced out so far.. and put a little flag (out of the way of the truck).. and then came back over.

The truck starts up, the glass already starts 'humming' from the vibrations of the motor. The truck moves forward, and right as its front bumper lines up with the flag.. a tremendous crash could be heard..as the truck hit a small bump.. and the glass went everywhere.. and I mean everywhere.. I have no idea to this day how he knew exactly where it was going to happen, but he knew what was going to happen. It took the crew the majority of that day and some of the next just to clean up the mess.

Edit : Thought I would clarify .. my dad is 81 years old now, not when this happened. Logging companies were just moving to trucks when this happened.
    Last edited by Mytical; 04-09-2015, 06:23 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

The trucks they use to move sheet glass are *special* - special mushy suspension, special racks that are sprung to hold the glass and whatnot. [I see the glass trucks from the specialty mirror company in Norwich all the time.] He was a moron.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

He knew where it was going to happen - because he knew where that little bump was.

Comment

*just blinks* I don't think I've heard of any drunks in my area trying that. Usually they'll try anything once.. twice if they survive it the first time. I guess even their usually beer-sotted brains can figure out that a logging truck bounces like a bucking mule in a temper tantrum.

It doesn't take long to figure out how far stupid will go. You just gotta figure out how much propulsion they got from their "idea."
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          The trucks they use to move sheet glass are *special* - special mushy suspension, special racks that are sprung to hold the glass and whatnot. [I see the glass trucks from the specialty mirror company in Norwich all the time.] He was a moron.
          I grew up living across the street from a local glass company and they had trucks with the tall frames on the sides of the beds to securely transport large sheets of glass. They cut glass to order as well - they were the ones Mom went to several times over the years for glass table tops.

Sadly, the company shut down back in the 90's after we moved (owner's wife got sick and they moved down to the coast and their son didn't want anything to do with the business) and the place is a boarded up ghost of a shell now.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I've heard of one company that frequently deals in overdimensional/overweight cargo getting a fleet of specialized glass trailers (the "18 wheel" version of the glazier's trucks you see around town). For some reason, the trailer manufacturer neglected to weld the "A-frame" glass supports to the beds of the trailers.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              *just blinks* I don't think I've heard of any drunks in my area trying that. Usually they'll try anything once.. twice if they survive it the first time. I guess even their usually beer-sotted brains can figure out that a logging truck bounces like a bucking mule in a temper tantrum.

It doesn't take long to figure out how far stupid will go. You just gotta figure out how much propulsion they got from their "idea."
              Yeah, semi's are not know for their comfort. Now add who knows how many logs under the glass. I've tried to understand the 'logic' I tried to do the math (when I was a human calculator).. How somebody can fit their head that far up their rear end.. it is not possible.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Different types of trailers (and tractors) make different compromises in their suspensions. Logs are a "non-fragile" cargo, with a lot of the hauling being done on crude (i.e. plowed through the brush with a bulldozer, and not otherwise improved) roads, so the suspension on tractors and trailers for log hauling is optimized for resistance to abuse (either spring or rubber "biscuit"), low cost (both parts and labour) to repair (same as before), light weight (to be able to carry more cargo - ditto on the types), with "soft ride" not entering into the equation. Equipment to haul glass would be optimized for "don't damage the cargo", so would have air-ride suspension.

To top it off, resting panes of glass on logs (uneven "line contact" support that is effectively "point contact" support) will leave them highly stressed in a static environment - won't take much to cause breakage. Sounds like pappy was sending a message to the PHB that experience counted for more than "book learnin'" - he didn't do ANYTHING with the glass (i.e. avoid any possibility of being accused of sabotaging it), but by planting the flag he showed that "shit's gonna happen when the truck gets here".
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post

You reminded me of a super-short redneck joke... About how rednecks tend to go out with a bang... "Here, hold m' beer and watch this!"

Did the idjit start listening to your old man after that?
                  Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

No .. he still thought he knew better. So my dad, who was not being paid for his help in any way, unofficially retired from his unofficial job. Despite that, however, the guy must have done something right.. the logging place doubled profits in the first 2 years, and doubled that again in 5 years. Still in business to this day, but maybe he grew wiser over time

Comment

you know what this post reminds me of? The newbies, or greenhorns as they call them, who think that they can hack it crab fishing on the Bering Sea because they've seen the show

I don't remember what boat it was, I think it may have been the greenhorn on the Seabrooke, which is Jr's boat. The guy claimed he'd be just fine, b/c he'd watched videos of it on Youtube, you wanna know how long this joker lasted??? 2 HOURS!!

Then, last year, Wild Bill on the Cape Caution had a greenhorn, became rather infamous actually. Claimed he'd be able to handle waves as high as 3 story buildings & 40 knot winds because he'd fished on the Gulf Of Mexico

I mean, SERIOUSLY?? this guy thought the Bering would be like the Gulf???? boy howdy did he get a rude awakening
                      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                      X