This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sir, we're out of bread."

This one was told to me by Hubs, but I thought it would be worth telling.

My father-in-law has been truck driving his whole life, and after the first few years, he realized that instead of eating fast food all the time, he could take a crockpot along to make his own meals. Naturally, he still wanted a good, greasy burger from time to time, and this particular time, Hubs was with him. Hubs was about 10 at the time, and out of school for the summer. They were on their way home after a month away (in the car, they had already dropped the truck off), and went through the Booger Fling drive-thru.

FIL (Father-in-law): I'd like [burger].
    Cashier: I'm sorry sir, we don't have that right now.
    FIL: Well, I'd like [other burger] then.
    Cashier: I'm sorry, sir, we don't have that either.
    FIL: Okay, I'll have [other other burger] then.
    Cashier: Sir, we're out of bread.

FIL blew up at the cashier (he's old and Southern and likes to curse, so you can imagine what that was like), then drove off across the street to the Golden Arches drive-thru.

FIL: Before I order, do you have bread?
    Cashier: Yes, sir, we do.

While he didn't need to blow up at the cashier, she probably should have mentioned being out of buns, considering it's a burger place. For some reason, though, the whole story just makes me laugh.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

They'd have avoided lots of problems by just explaining up front.
    Similar thing happened to us. During a long car trip, we went thru a drive-thru. There was a sign on the order menu - "Out of finger food."
    Finger food?? What the hell did that mean? So we asked. They replied "we're out of finger food." So we just went ahead and ordered. Then a very annoyed voice came on and said "We're out of buns!"

Funny - we did the same thing your in-law did, drove down the road to McD. Everyone in the car had the same comment - why not just post a sign that said 'out of buns.'

Comment

Wonder if that BK was out of cheese too.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
        Finger food?? What the hell did that mean?
        I would have assumed they meant chicken nuggets.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
          I would have assumed they meant chicken nuggets.
          I think we found it confusing because most things at a fast food place are finger food.

Comment

Hey, Cashier? We have a pair of buns now... They're on the ass in the car.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Hey, Cashier? We have a pair of buns now... They're on the ass in the car.

I don't think the customers would want those . . . probably too stale and moldy.

Besides, I work with enough assburgers at work . . . don't want to eat one.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You'd think that any eating establishment that serves sandwiches/burgers would be up-front about not having any buns/bread.

Comment

I'll bet that store was short one manager after that. Unless there was some kind of problem/delay with the delivery, there is no excuse to run out of buns.

Comment

I used to work at a Subway that ran out of bread all the time. Even though we made it in house. I wasn't allowed to make any on night shift except weekends before 9pm, because it would be stale and need thrown out by morning. The store manager (she was a piece of work) worked the afternoon shift, and was too lazy to do a lot of things, include make bread. Even just pull it, I would have made it.

We ran out of bread 2-3 nights a week. In many ways it was not a good Subway.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                      I'll bet that store was short one manager after that. Unless there was some kind of problem/delay with the delivery, there is no excuse to run out of buns.
                      It also depends if there was a rush that didn't go away after it normally does (extra long lunch/dinner rush, a couple of buses of people, etc) or someone didn't order enough stuff when they should've. Or they prep too much stuff on the other days and run out when they should've had more.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                        Occasionally things do happen. I spent a short amount of time in Ann Arbor, MI when I was around 19. I worked for a fast food chain near the university campus. The university had a festival that focused on the consumption of a munchies-inducing recreational substance. The place where I worked ordered three times our usual weekend order in preparation for the event, and still ran out of many food items by half way through the weekend. We simply could not have ordered more, as we would have had nowhere to store more than what was already ordered. Heck, as it was, there was some creative stacking in the fridge and freezer. I remember managers frantically calling other locations begging to "borrow" stock to get us through the rest of the weekend. We got some things, but still wound up having to close a couple hours early on Sunday due to lack of food. Thankfully, the company sent an emergency truck in the wee hours of Monday morning so we could open again.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I'll have burger and a Coke.
                          We are out of hamburger buns.
                          OK. I'll have a burger and a Sprite.
                          Sir, we are out of hamburger buns!
                          OK, I'll have a burger and iced tea.
                          WE ARE OUT OF HAMBURGER BUNS!
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                          X