This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost pictures.

My daughter spent the night at my grandparents' last night, and today they took her to have professional pictures done for her upcoming first birthday. They took a few copies for themselves, then gave us the rest, along with the disk they include featuring all of the pictures that were taken (not just the printed ones, and if you want print-outs of the disk photos you have to go back in and pay for them, so the disk is an extra source of income).

The printed photos were fantastic and I was excited to see more, so I popped the disk into my computer.

IT'S TOTALLY BLANK.

I wouldn't be so upset about this if it weren't for the fact that they don't store pictures on a server. They put them on the disk and keep no copies for themselves. So they either deleted all of the pictures forever, or they have our disk floating around somewhere in the studio. They're closed tomorrow and the day after but my grandma's taking the disk back on Wednesday.

Here's to hoping we get our pictures.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I hope you get them. *hugs you*
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

This sort of resolved itself.

It turns out, there were two disks and my grandparents kept one. They went ahead and copied it for us.

Crisis averted.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Whew! Glad that worked out.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Yikes, you'd think they'd keep soft-copies of the photos for at least 7-30 days...

Comment

Disk space is cheap, so you'd think the studio would keep copies for a while (possibly in a tree sorted first by date and then by customer, to make "pruning" easier). Then, instead of deleting, archive it to DVD-R.

The way they're doing it, the customer can NEVER get prints beyond what they originally ordered. After all, the studio pictures are clearly professional, and photo places tend to not make prints of those due to copyright reasons. Since the studio has deleted its copy, the customer can't re-order.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              The way they're doing it, the customer can NEVER get prints beyond what they originally ordered. After all, the studio pictures are clearly professional, and photo places tend to not make prints of those due to copyright reasons. Since the studio has deleted its copy, the customer can't re-order.
              That's what the disk is for. You take it in, point out which pictures you want printed, and their software removes the built-in watermark thingy that keeps you from printing them at home. If you spring for the expensive packages (like $250+), you get a disk that has the copyrights to the pictures included so you can print them at home or at a photo kiosk or whatever. Only the cheapest two or three packages ($35-ish) don't include a disk at all.

Comment

I know what company you are talking about and worked for them for a time (Hell. On. Earth.).

When I was there (which was 10 years ago, I admit), stuff would usually stay on the server for about a week. Usually. But customers were never told that, part of the high-pressure sales tactic to get people to spend a minimum of $100 every time they were there. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                X