This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job hazing?

I just accepted a job opportunity, similar to what I was doing before but with a different company and a slightly different job description. First day I get there, everyone in the van on the way to our turf is joking around and poking fun at each other. And nobody gets offended by it. Someone says something amusing and if I respond to it by poking fun at them, I get "you're new and you don't know us. You don't get to talk to us like that." Kind of disconcerting, but it feels like there is a fraternity here that I'm just not a part of and probably won't be until another greenhorn shows up. Is this normal, am I taking this too personally? This is the way I normally act around people. And to top it all off, they can make fun of me (because I'm the newbie) but I can't fight back? There's a team dynamic here that I am simply not a part of because I'm the new kid. How long should I expect this crap to continue?
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk to a supervisor, ASAP
    first of all, hazing of any kind isn't supposed to happen at a job
    secondly what's good for the goose is good for the gander - if they're picking on you then you get to pick back, if there's some sort of "waiting period" observed before you can pick on them (b/c you're new and don't know them) then they should have to take the same amount of time to get to know you before they're allowed to pick on you....

otherwise they're setting themselves up for a harassment suit
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I'd let it run for a bit..... but see how they react if you push back a bit. If it's all in good fun you'll know quick enough, and if not, well, you have a group of bullies on your hands. If that's the case you probably have to decide between sucking it up or moving on.... IMHO it seems unlikely that a complaint from "the new guy" will be looked upon favourably vs. guys who have been around a for while.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Sounds an awfull lot like covert harasment to me. You got the job so there's no reason for you to prove yourself to the other workers. I'd say something to your boss before it gets ugly.

Comment

It doesn't help me when my supervisor/manager is part of it though...

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
            It doesn't help me when my supervisor/manager is part of it though...
            Sounds like Linus at Lucy's psychiatric help booth.

"Well, my problem is my sister. She..."

*SLUG*

Comment

Honestly, they could just be unsure about you. Keep doing as you do it, and if it keeps going, maybe there's someone higher than supervisor/manager you can go to?

Course, first and foremost, don't back down, and don't let them push you without pushing back. That way they'll either respect you or show themselves to be tremendous pricks. Either way, you'll know where you stand and what your next step should be.

Comment

Well, we're supposed to be getting 2 new guys on Monday. And since I have been as successful last week as everyone else on the team, if they don't give me the respect I deserve as a normal member of the team (at the very least, going from "new guy" to "scroob") I am going to flip (professionally, without losing my cool or job.) And I promise I won't treat the new guys like I was treated.
                Anyone wanna make bets as to whether the action towards me will change tomorrow? (of course I can't make or settle the action because of my gambling problems.)

Comment

Your coworkers and boss are all fuckheads.
                  If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

I'd push back a little-- and if they say that after a few weeks-- or hell, even when you get fed up with it, say something to the effect of "Stop it now or I tell Manager'sBoss." They're being dicks by saying 'you can't jibe back,' and some people do it just to see how the other reacts to it.
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

ok, now they've gone too far. I don't know what more I have to do or can do. But they got 2 new team members. Today when the team went out to canvass, I set 2 appointments, which outdid the ENTIRE TEAM! And yet, still I am the new guy. What the hell else do I have to do? At least give me the frickin respect to call me by my real name (which is not "bitch" which my boss decided I was to be known as from now on.
                      I may have to go over his head to complain. How do I do this without crossing the line and still having my job?

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
                        At least give me the frickin respect to call me by my real name (which is not "bitch" which my boss decided I was to be known as from now on.
                        I may have to go over his head to complain. How do I do this without crossing the line and still having my job?
                        You may?

No, no, no... That is absolutely beyond unacceptable.

Get thee to HR, stat!

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The boss is obviously a major source of the problem, not just a accomplice playing along with the other dicks. Talk to the higher-ups and get him straightened out NOW (just make it clear how many people do this, that the Mgr is setting a bad example by encouraging them, AND be sure to mention the name-calling), before it gets worse. This isn't grade school, where a bully is just "your problem to deal with". The manager is making it harder to do your job -- and yet, you are excelling in it. Imagine how much better you and the others could do if they weren't wasting their time and yours (read: company $$$) doing that crap...
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Step 1) Record boss calling you "bitch"
                            Step 2) Say "Hostile Work Environment"
                            Step 3) ?????
                            Step 4) PROFIT!
                            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X