This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst shift so far.

I work at a busy gas station 3rd shift. Our truck comes in at 5pm on Thursdays. 3rd shift starts at 10pm. Last night there were 3 people scheduled on 2nd shift. With that number of employees:

One person on register A. A will have very little time to do anything but check customers out. They can put away/stock cigarettes/make coffee which are all very close to register A.

One person doing machine cleanup/stocking and helping check customers out on B when A has 2 people in line or more.

One person putting away the truck.

I came in for my shift happy because I knew there were the proper number of people to put away the truck for once. It's really stressful when there's truck sitting around the store, it's already hard to do everything on my shift as I've written in another post. I might get 30 minutes of time to do something extra if I'm very very lucky. 10 spare minutes is more usual over the course of an average night. Truck really does take several hours to put away properly so obviously it's impossible for me to do it on third.

The truck was the least amount of "put away" that I have ever seen since I worked there. The register A person put away the cigarettes like they were supposed to. The other two people, I have no idea what they were doing. The only things they put away fully were bag-in-box stuff and we don't get more than 5-6 boxes of that stuff which is very easy to rotate and put away. They put about 1/4 of a case of salty/candy away (we get around 12 cases of that stuff per truck to give you an idea). The frozen wasn't even in the freezer, and one of the girls complained that the delivery driver refused to put the frozen in the freezer for her. Well, why would he? That's YOUR job! The only time we should be asking the driver to put stuff in the freezer is if you are the only person in the store and can't go back to the freezer!

They didn't even have to clean the cappuchino machines (which take over an hour to do both of them if you do it right) because the manager had cleaned them herself earlier.

They didn't cook any food for the roller grills and all the trashes inside and outside of the store were full.

WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY DOING ALL NIGHT!!!

I had to stay over an hour and a half late today to help get the floor caught up. I spent most of my shift trying to deal with the truck and for whatever reason I got SLAMMED from about 3:30 until the end of my shift. My manager showed up at 6 am and the store was a wreck. There was nothing I could do. I worked as hard as I could but the counters were a disaster and we were almost out of coffee (we run 12 pots at a time and I had managed to get all 12 full a couple of times, but the 20 mins before my manager came in I had a deep line the whole time)... we used to have someone come in at 4 but we're desperately understaffed right now so nobody comes in until 6, so the last two hours of my shift I am supposed to do the work of 2 people and after 6 they get to have 2 people do the work of 3... it sucks.

Plus our 16 oz coffees just went up to $1.09 and we had one of the old 99 cent signs up still, so I had a line 10 people deep at 4am and some guy complaining that he had to pay 10 cents more than he should have for coffee... I gave him 10c from my pocket I didn't have time to mess around with refunds. He wasn't very sucky I guess but when you're super busy and you know the dude has just paid for 50+ dollars of gas with a $100 bill... what does he care about 10c so much for! Go away!

One of my favorite nice customers asked me how I was and I totally teared up.

I hate Thursday nights! My manager told me next time I can just ignore the truck, but honestly we were so busy the store would have been a wreck anyway. Even if the store is perfect at 3:30 it will be a wreck by 6 if we're that busy...

I feel for you.

In my past gas station job, the day shift person hardly ever had smokes stocked, coffee area stocked, nothing. And there was always 2 people on days (for a few hours together) so there was no reason for that.

Nowadays at my factory job, it's a miracle if I ever have my tools I need and other stuff when I relieve the 2nd shifter. I always take the first few minutes of my shift angrily walking to the supply cabinets and grabbing a handfull of stuff. I get dirty looks for not getting to work right away, but it's like err hello.....my work station is a disaster AND empty. Then once I have my supplies, I have to clean up the mess 2nd shift made by reorganizing everything, because my boss doesn't allow messy work areas.

I tell you, when we combine shifts soon, these second shifters are going to shit themselves when they learn that my boss does NOT tolerate messes. And rightfully so, she doesn't!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It sounds like your manager at least understands that 2nd shift was manned by a couple of useless turds.

The frozen items were left out? Seriously?!? Were they in the back blowing each other their whole shift?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Frozen items not being put away in the freezer you say? So how much of that did you end up tossing?

At the swamp, when we had our short-lived frozen foods selection, if it sat out for any reasonable length of time, we threw it all away.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Oh my word. That's just deplorable!
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

When I read the words "3rd shift" and "Busy gas station" I winced. Let me tell you, there is some crazy things you see on third shift, but I will be the first to admit, that in a 'busy gas station' the special is REALLY special. Of course busy is relative..one night we only made 6k. Was a slow night, but prices were a bit on the high side.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
            X