X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I..buh..wah..?

A little background:

Our main number shows up on Caller ID if someone from the office calls. Inevitably, it results in people calling and saying "Who called me from this number? Who are you? Rabblerabblerabble eleventy!!!11111" Most of the time the fault lies with the new hires who still have not learned to say "Sorry wrong number," rather than hang up if they get a residential number. Those calls are fun. Oh so fun. The other fun calls are the ones that end up on a cell phone and the person calls back. So much fun too.
    /end background

So our dear receptionist is out this week, so it falls to P and myself to take care of the phones. We tag team: P in the morning, me in the afternoon, since P leaves at 4:30. No biggie. Though I swear P seems to manage to deflect the loonies to me in the afternoon.

Yesterday, while I was talking to DaDairyDruid, a guy called. Now that in and of itself is not unusual. People call all the time.

But this guy took the cake for weirdo call of the day.

Me: *opening spiel* how may I help you?
    Guy: Yeah, what company is this?
    Me: [Company Name], this is fma_fanantic.
    Guy: Yeah, why did you call me?
    Me: I'm sorry, I have no way of knowing who called you, sir. It may have been a misdial *I use this excuse because saying that it was a cold call just makes them crazier*
    Guy: Look, I don't care what it was, someone called me and I demand to know who.
    Me: Sir, I am sorry, however, I have no way of tracing who called you.
    Guy: Go and ask.
    Me: Sir, I'm sorry, but I'm not able to leave where I am to do that. I'm required to stay where I am at my desk *in actuality, I could have asked the 10 people who were doing cold calls, but really, I don't think anyone wanted to deal with this guy. He just had that "I don't give a crap, I just want a fight/argue" vibe*
    Guy: Well it had to be someone there who makes over 100K a year, because no one calls me and just hangs up. I install pools for a living.
    Me:...Okay..again, I am sorry about the hang up call. I apologize if it disturbed you.
    Guy: Okay, so let me talk to the president or whoever operates the company.
    Me: The president of the company is in another state, sir. I'd be more than happy to give you the number of that office.
    Guy: Oh..well..nevermind then. I guess he doesn't want a pool. *hangs up*

The guy called back again today, saying someone had called him. I'm not sure how as all the new reps who were in yesterday weren't even here today. I think he's trying to drum up business, and unfortunately going about it the wrong way.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

What a loser. And ooooh, he installs pools...how...unimpressive
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
      What a loser. And ooooh, he installs pools...how...unimpressive
      Been divin' in the empty ones 'ave we?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Been divin' in the empty ones 'ave we?
        Not since that one time...ouch.

My dad actually did crack his head open diving into a swimmin' hole when he was a kid/teenager, though...wasn't a pool, it was a freshwater former mining pit with lots of big, craggy rocks around. Fortunately his older sister was there to save him. He was really accident prone, apparently...
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

When I worked the switchboard at a hospital, this always drove me crazy. And there were at least 10 calls like this every shift. Every single extension in the hospital, including the doctors' offices, would show on caller ID as the main number.

Invariably, people would call and say "Yeah, you just called me?" No, actually I didn't but I would try to help them figure out who it might be. You know, do you have an appointment or test scheduled? A relative or friend in the hospital? Then they would get mad that out of the 600+ employees, I couldn't tell them who it was. The calls always ended with "Did they leave a message?" And the reply would be "I don't know, I didn't check my voicemail." Yeah, maybe you should start there, jackass.

Comment

From what you described, I'd have to agree with you that the loon is trying to drum up business.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
            X