This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insect nightmare (epic)

Been holding off on typing this story, due to its size, but it's time...

Back story 1: I don't have any major phobias, but I do have a strong dislike of blood-sucking insects.

Back story 2: In my late teens I spent a summer working for Jones Beach State Park, in the parkway maintenance division. I enjoyed the fresh air, running lawn mowers and weed whackers, even picking up trash. There were mosquitos and biting flies, but I used 99% DEET lotion to keep 'em off me, which made it quite tolerable, until that last day...

We usually started off the morning picking up trash along the main parkway running through the site, starting at the far end from where most of the facilities are. I was dropped off by the truck, and began picking.

Well, I suppose it was that morning that a new breed of fly had just hatched out. Differently proportioned from the usual ones I encountered, with small bodies and fairly large wings, they began to take an interest in me.

They were HUNGRY. I wasn't being bitten, but I could tell; they'd land on me, then take off again, frustrated by the insect repellent. I applied more, just in case, but they wouldn't go away.

And they kept coming. Dozens. HUNDREDS. I kept feeling them land on my arms and the back of my neck. I'm still walking and picking up trash. Then speeding up. Then I stop picking up trash, waving my arms around in a panic, stumbling along at a fast rate. It was so surreal I couldn't help but wonder if it were a hallucination.

Finally the truck comes by for pick-up, my co-worker who is driving sees me running for the truck, and the look on his face gives me confirmation that the flies weren't a hallucination. I jump in and we take off, opening the windows and shooing out the flies that followed me into the cab. My co-worker, who wasn't using insect repellent, was bitten twice by the blasted things. Driving fast and waving them out of the truck, we finally got rid of them.

I was thoroughly freaked out, and quit that very day.
    Last edited by TheSHAD0W; 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM. Reason: not so epic

This is what I pictured when reading your story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

That sounds horrible!

My only issue is roaches, and maggots. Though I admit I am not fond of gnats, and mosquitoes think I am just the tastiest thing around
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Even without an official phobia of flying/biting insects, I think I would have been quite freaked out in your situation too!
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I remember having had to clean up a burst cat food pouch once. It must have had a slight hole and had swelled up and popped at the back of the top shelf (just above eye level for pretty much everyone), in summer, in a show with no air con. We only picked up on what was causing it at the end of the day during the straightening up and I've no idea how long it'd been missed but by the time I got to cleaning it up it was basically a smelly pool of maggots. Other insects are ok but I really can't handle maggots or even worms, so this was not my best day ever.
          I got to clean it up btw because I lost the rock/paper/scissors contest that my coworker and me decided was the only fair way to allocate the task (she had exactly the same feelings about maggots so was just as unwilling as me).

Comment

When I was working as a lifeguard, it was horseflies. I'll tell you now, those fat, flying bastards will take a chunk out of you when they bite. The only decent thing was that they weren't swarming, and you could usually feel when they landed on you. I think I slapped my shoulders in my sleep for weeks, dreaming about those things.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              When I was working as a lifeguard, it was horseflies. I'll tell you now, those fat, flying bastards will take a chunk out of you when they bite. The only decent thing was that they weren't swarming, and you could usually feel when they landed on you. I think I slapped my shoulders in my sleep for weeks, dreaming about those things.
              Ug, my least favorite thing about a stable I kept my horse in back when I competed dressage. I swear, no other stable i used had horseflies, but this had the regular bluebottle flies and the most godaweful huge and nasty horseflies. I swear, I would slap off ones the size of the end joint of my thumb
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                I swear, I would slap off ones the size of the end joint of my thumb
                I have no idea where it came from, but we had one of those in the house fairly recently. The dogs went crazy trying to eat it and I finally stunned it with a flyswat, then squished it with a shoe. It really didn't want to die!
                Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Yet another great thing about living in the desert southwest. We don't got anything like that here. Not that I'm complaining.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

This is why I like winter -- the bugs go away!

I don't mind most bugs (current apt. has the occasional silverfish -- which the cats usually chase down and snack on, UGH) but roaches would be a lease-breaker, no question.

Had a cat many years ago who kept shying away from his food bowl -- he'd approach it, take a bite or two, back away, move forward, take a bite or two, back away .... Finally I started poking around in the neighbourhood of the food bowl. That's when I learned that rotting potatoes breed maggots ...

I cleaned it up and apologized profusely to the cat.

Comment

Working...
                    X