Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've gone through 2-3 year periods of nonstop mandatory overtime, then of course, that backfires and everyone is laid off for a random week or two or what have you. Then we're back on overtime, then we've got our hours cut, then all of a sudden it's the holidays and OMG UR ALL WORKING OT, WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS GOAL!!!!!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
      Every day when I'm getting ready for work I turn on the news in hopes of hearing that a fully-loaded 747 dropped straight down on the whole miserable place, but that never happens because God doesn't love me enough to ever let it happen.
      No, it happens because God doesn't want to harm the innocent people on the plane. On the other hand, if you asked Him for a meteorite to hit the place...

Another option you might want to look into is occupational health and safety legislation, and how it deals with being ordered to perform unsafe work (since overtime that would put you over the income threshold would get you cut off a program that's keeping you alive, I'd say it should be considered unsafe work).

Don't know about your jurisdiction, but where I live an employee has the right to refuse to perform unsafe work, and it's up to the supervisor to correct the situation. If the supervisor doesn't agree that it's unsafe work, then the employee can escalate it through several levels (not being required to do the work until the final level rules that it's OK), with a couple of the top levels being at the Ministry of Labour (i.e. outside the control of the company). I'm sure your bosses don't want OHSA coming down on them.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        No, it happens because God doesn't want to harm the innocent people on the plane. On the other hand, if you asked Him for a meteorite to hit the place...
        Regarding your first comment, in another thread I mentioned that I fear this job is turning me into a sociopath. I'm not kidding. This job has landed me in therapy, where the therapist told me that my job was literally driving me insane and that it was the worst case she had ever seen. I'm sorry to say that I'm not kidding about hoping a plane will crash into my factory because for one, it's near the airport, and for another that seems to be the only likely way it would ever be destroyed. i realize this is a bad thing to want or hope for, especially considering that a good friend of mine is a flight attendant... but this job is doing things to me that I do not like at all.

Regarding your other comments, I live in what is known as a "right-to-work" state in the US. This means that employers are given vast leeway to abuse their employees however they see fit, and there is not one damn thing the employees can do about it. There are no unions to help you. The state government will help as much as it is able, but that is pretty much restricted to cases of blatant discrimination -- and sometimes not even then, as in the case of gays and lesbians, who are not considered a protected class in this state.

Long story short, if you hate your job in a right-to-work state, you can either quit, kill yourself, or take up a hobby or an addiction. You have no other options because no one is going to help you.
        Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 12-04-2011, 01:41 AM.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          None. And North Carolina is a right to work state.
          I think you're talking about "At will" rather than "right to work." All right to work changes is that you're not required to join a union or pay union dues in order to get a job.

Regarding your other comments, I live in what is known as a "right-to-work" state in the US. This means that employers are given vast leeway to abuse their employees however they see fit, and there is not one damn thing the employees can do about it. There are no unions to help you. The state government will help as much as it is able, but that is pretty much restricted to cases of blatant discrimination -- and sometimes not even then, as in the case of gays and lesbians, who are not considered a protected class in this state.

Long story short, if you hate your job in a right-to-work state, you can either quit, kill yourself, or take up a hobby or an addiction. You have no other options because no one is going to help you.
          Actually, you can unionize in a right to work state, and many do with abusive employers. However, you are not required to join an union to get a position at a unionized workplace, so you can't be hit up for dues on minimum wage unless you agree with the union's purpose. Many states adopted this because too many union's purpose at the time was to keep the union going, rather than address real issues.

I think the more likely explanation for companies acting badly, in any state, is that they are taking advantage of the economy and people's fear of losing their jobs. That's a problem with that company's mentality, and if it really is a serious issue, then the employees have every right to organize and strike, no matter what state they are in.
          Last edited by Geek King; 12-06-2011, 04:22 PM.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            I think you're talking about "At will" rather than "right to work." All right to work changes is that you're not required to join a union or pay union dues in order to get a job.

Actually, you can unionize in a right to work state, and many do with abusive employers.
            You're right; I did confuse the two. Easy to do in North Carolina where unions are so rare the dodo goes, "man, that's rare!"

This state is VERY good at keeping unions out. And large employers tend to be quite abusive to their employees.

But that's a subject for Fratching . . . .
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

North Carolina sucks when it comes to labor laws. Especially when it comes to overtime, breaks, time off between shifts, or even getting time off between shifts. This is why, because we have an employee in the hospital, I'm having to work 64 hours in 4 days. One shift being 24 hours straight. 16 on, 8 off, 16 on, 8 off, 24 on, 8 off, 8 on.
              Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

Quoth Carina16 View Post
                North Carolina sucks when it comes to labor laws. Especially when it comes to overtime, breaks, time off between shifts, or even getting time off between shifts. This is why, because we have an employee in the hospital, I'm having to work 64 hours in 4 days. One shift being 24 hours straight. 16 on, 8 off, 16 on, 8 off, 24 on, 8 off, 8 on.
                I did a couple of 24-hr shifts at my old job.

Just trying to hold on for another year...

Comment

Why another year?
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Carina16 View Post
                    Even North Carolina is subject to Federal labor laws. You can't work more than 16 on without 8 off.

But boy, do I know your pain. It's the reason why I'm no longer an ER nurse. I couldn't take the abuse anymore.

I did a couple of 24-hr shifts at my old job.

Just trying to hold on for another year...
                    Ditto . . . why another year?
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Actually, according to the Department of Labor's website it's isn't against the law to work a 24 hour shift. Just that there are a couple different ways to handle the pay for it. I'm not too worried about it now as the owner didn't realize that I would be working a shift that long, so he is letting me bring a cot up into the office so I can take a nap during the graveyard part of the shift.
                      Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

If I can hold on for another year, I'll be eligible for a benefit only offered to long-term employees. It's of extreme importance to me that I be able to claim this benefit, to the point that I'm afraid to tell what it is for fear that someone might read this and figure out what it is, where I work, and go running off to tattle on me about posting on here. My factory has a very nasty habit of firing people who are months, or even weeks, away from being able to claim that benefit, and at this juncture I don't dare jeopardize it. That's why the Ugly Fat Whore's shenanigans that I posted about on here enraged me so. Her lies and scheming could get me fired when I'm *this* close to my goal.

Comment

If I can hold on for another year, I'll be eligible for a benefit only offered to long-term employees. It's of extreme importance to me that I be able to claim this benefit, to the point that I'm afraid to tell what it is for fear that someone might read this and figure out what it is, where I work, and go running off to tattle on me about posting on here. My factory has a very nasty habit of firing people who are months, or even weeks, away from being able to claim that benefit, and at this juncture I don't dare jeopardize it. That's why the Ugly Fat Whore's shenanigans that I posted about on here enraged me so. Her lies and scheming could get me fired when I'm *this* close to my goal.
                          Say no more. I think I know what it is, anyway. But I'll never tell

Comment

Gazebo, do you mind working more hours at higher pay, assuming your meds can be taken care of? Perhaps you should try to switch employers, and find one that offers health care benefits?

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                              Gazebo, do you mind working more hours at higher pay, assuming your meds can be taken care of? Perhaps you should try to switch employers, and find one that offers health care benefits?
                              My current employer offers health benefits. The problem with accepting health benefits is that if I accept health insurance, I'll be dropped from my state medication program. Then, should I lose my job, I'm up shit creek. In this economy, and with the political climate that exists in my state nowadays, nobody who loses their medication coverage will ever get it back.

I'll only accept health benefits when I'm finally working the field that I want to work in, doing what I want to do with my life. Frankly, the thought of being trapped at my current job a single second longer than I have to be makes me want to unzip my guts -- and I will not be forced to depend on them. After all, there are only three things that ensure your job security at Pit of Despair Manufacturing, Inc., and I can't claim any of the three. Anyone who can't has only the choice of keeping their heads down, their mouths shut, and shuffling along lockstep until they can escape.

Comment

Made a pickup in NC, and while I was waiting to get loaded I took a look at the employment law poster. Right at the beginning it deals with unsafe work, and that it is illegal to retaliate for someone refusing unsafe work. In your shoes, I'd (from a payphone so it's not traceable to you) call 1-800-nclabor and present it as a hypothetical case, generalizing it (state program is keeping you alive, employer is ordering you to do something that would get you kicked off - would the work they're ordering you to do be considered unsafe work, since it would result in your death?).
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X