This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I make snarky comments about Christmas Music

Hello everyone! I am going to rant about Christmas music, and here is why.

For those of you fortunate souls who are not subjected to the same 2.5 hour Christmas track over and over again for 6-10 hour shifts almost every day, let me explain. The simple thing is, I've heard these songs just too much. When you are completely frustrated and dealing with very stressed out customers, it tends to grate a just a little to hear about what a lovely time of year it is. Over and over. I already memorized these songs when they were played non-stop five years ago.
    Not only that, but at our particular mall, they tend to play them very loud, since people everywhere are talking all the time. The worst time was when the fire alarm went off, and they played the music even louder. It was quite painful.

So I recently discovered that I unconsciously snark at these songs when they play in an attempt to keep my sanity, so today I decided to consciously snark at them.

Here we go kids, grab a hot chocolate and some cookies, its going to be a long one.

MS = Mall speaker

----------

MS: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Really song? You were most certainly correct in your statement back on November 1st, when about 75% of the mall was in Christmas mode. Now all you are doing is lying. About 10 times a day.

MS: Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock

Okay song, quite the creative suggestion you have there. Certainly walking through mall holding a holiday-themed boulder would be an interesting weapon of choice. A+ for creativity.

MS: Faliz Navidad, Faliz Navidad, Faliz Navidad, Prospero ano y Falicidad
    I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas, I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
    I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas, from the bottom of my heart

Oops, I missed some of that, can you please repeat that about seven more times?
    Seriously though song, you are incredibly devious and sinister. Your insanely repetitive and simple lyrics will drill themselves into a hidden part of my brain. And then tomorrow at lunch before work I'll be boiling water on the stove, and to the complete surprise of both myself and some roommates, I will shout out at the top of my lungs: "FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEEEEARRRT."

MS: Silent night, holy night

First of all song, the mall is never silent at night. Second of all, Christmastime, the only time when you play this song, is most definitely 8 times as loud.

MS: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth

Ok, Ackmeow briefly covered this in another random post, but this song is awful, probably the worst in the world. Its sung by an adult who is trying to sound like an annoying child. The adult/child is singing while constantly whistling through the holes in his teeth.
    Recently I was chatting with a food court cleaner, when I asked her if she liked the song playing. She said she hated it, and it sounded just like that old pervert guy from Family Guy. I froze. Holy crap. IT DOES.

MS: Santa looked like daddy,
    Or daddy looked like him.
    It's not the way I had him pictured,
    Santa was a' much too thin.
    He didn't come down the chimney,
    So momma must have let him in.
    Santa looked a lot like daddy
    Or daddy looked a lot like him.

Please song, you and Faliz Vavidad have now tied for the most repetitive song ever. Please stop. Last night while I was setting my alarm clock I blurted out "Or daddy looked a lot like him."

MS: Deck the halls with bells of holly

Oh I sure want to deck something.

MS: All I want for Christmas, is you

Dude, seriously just date this chick. Please just once so that she can stop singing this song every year. I promise it won't be terrible, just humor her. I can pay you if you want.

MS: We wish you a Merry Christmas x3, and a happy New Year.

Okay okay! I promise my Christmas will be Merry, now please SHUT UP. It will, I swear.

MS: Now bring us some figgy pudding x3, and a cup of good cheer.

Buwuh??????

This song happened to be playing in Chapters while I wandered in during my lunch break:
    Everyone's a child at Christmas
    And looks for presents under the Christmas tree.
    Everyone's a child at Christmas
    And loves the happy holiday "jollitee".

Wow song, you have captured the Christmas spirit of the mall within those amazing lyrics. People tend to have no patience, have tantrums, and stick to a bizarre and immature set of logic. Bravo song, you by far the most appropriate song the mall can play.

Thanks for letting me rant everywhere, I am a bitter hollow scrooge.

EDIT: Uuuuh oops there are no sucky customers in this story. Please forgive me?

If you want some relief, look up Bob rivers. Some of my favorites are "Police Stop my Car (sung to the tune of Feliz Navidad), Grab your balls like Michael Jackson (sung to "Deck the Halls"), and more. I love Christmas music in the car, but i get tired of it too quickly and play my mp3 CDs instead.

Comment

This is the msot awesome rant ever. Allow me to chime in.

"Felize navidad...prospero ano y felicidad
      I wanna wish you a merry christmas"

You want to wish me a merry christmas? Then what the hell were you saying in Spanish if it wasn't wishing me a merry christmas?

Jingle Bell Rock

Most. Cliche. Song. Ever. Go check out the literal music video of this on youtube.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year."

Scary ghost stories? Are we singing about Halloween?

"Now bring us some figgy pudding...We won't leave until we get some."

Who the FUCK are you telling me what to do? I've got some figgy pudding. Just look down the barrel of this shotgun. You might find some.

"All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth."

Holy crap! This does sound like Herbert!
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSiLJ...eature=related

Can't you see the joy from this video? Oh how people love Christmas.
        Last edited by Iseeyouthere; 12-22-2011, 06:42 AM.
        Sucky Employees = The result of sucky customers getting a job...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          "It's the most wonderful time of the year."

Scary ghost stories? Are we singing about Halloween?
          During Victorian times it was traditional to sit around the fire and tell scary stories on Christmas Eve.

The Christmas song I hate most is The Christmas Shoes.

Comment

Quoth AriGriffin View Post
            During Victorian times it was traditional to sit around the fire and tell scary stories on Christmas Eve.

The Christmas song I hate most is The Christmas Shoes.
            I'll have to agree with that one. I had to laugh at this post because I was just watching the Nostalgia Chick's review on the TV movie based on this song.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You could always insert your own classics in there such as the 12 pains of Christmas and Grandma got run over by a reindeer
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't know what it is about Christmas songs that make them wear out so quickly. Perhaps it's the sweet, sweet sentiment that instead of rotting your teeth, rots your brain instead.

Perhaps it's the fact that there are literally about 20 songs about Christmas and they have been played ad nauseum infinitum since 1975.

My pet peeve is loud music in malls. Any store where you have to shout to make yourself heard over it, is bad. I have walked into game stores, where they are playing Slipknot or somesuch and it is screaming really loudly. Sure, the shop assistants are having fun, but it isn't fun for the customers who are having their brains liquified.
                There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Quoth Shmuggly View Post
                  And then tomorrow at lunch before work I'll be boiling water on the stove, and to the complete surprise of both myself and some roommates, I will shout out at the top of my lungs: "FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEEEEARRRT."
                  Thank you for this mental picture.

This is when I consider myself lucky to work in a store that doesn't do Christmas carols. Or the overhead music thing in general.

Comment

i admit ... i do like listening to christmas music. i have my ipod set to it for the drive to work. but i have variety. although right now i'm stuck on michael crawford's christmas album... it's like having the Phantom singing carols sometimes

however i also remember being stuck at work for 12.5 hours on black friday and got annoyed with the same playlist.

so i understand your pain at hearing the same thing all the time. makes me think companies need to invest into more than one or two cds of seasonal music. I mean there's so much out there to pick from too... Hell I even have one album that was performed almost entirely with workshop tools. seriously "A Toolbox Christmas"... i bet that would liven things up a bit. in small doses.

Comment

Ugh. I completely sympathize: the same songs, in the same loop, all day, every day, for over a month. Been there, done that.

As I recall, a few years back a mall in Austria tried an experiment: they played absolutely *no* music whatsoever during the holiday season, with reactions and behaviors observed and recorded by behavioral scientists. What they found was that people weren't subjected to Christmas music, they tended to be more relaxed, less stressed, better shoppers and far more pleasant to deal with.

This research was promptly ignored by marketing departments worldwide.

Comment

I've been listening to both Jingle Cats Christmas albums at work. With headphones, out of respect for my coworkers. =^..^=
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

So glad we don't play music in the library. Used to work holidays in a particular retail place and hated their holiday song loop. Blegh.

One song I love hearing when I go home for Christmas is a local rendition of 'Silver Bells;' it's called something to the effect of 'Christmas in 'staven' (East Haven). Pretty sure this is the right tune, but can't play videos on this computer, so I'm not positive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCd1HHLVY5g. Of course, it's completely offensive and I don't think they play it on the radio anymore because of that.

Also don't mind classical-style instrumental Christmas music. Oh, and Transsiberian Orchestra--even my Mom loves their music!

Comment

Classical-style Christmas instrumental music would be nice. No lyrics, just calm music

Comment

You missed one major annoying song....the damn hippo song! I freaking hate that song! The girls voice makes me wanna punch someone in the face, it sticks n my head prolonging the violence and the lyrics are sooo stupid! If you got a hippo, it would take massive dumps all over your stuff, eat all your veggies, turn your backyard into a mudpit and your house into a mess and, when it got old enough, it would attack and kill you! Do you have any idea how many people are attacked and/or killed by hippos each year?!!! Hundreds, perhaps even thousands. You wanna contribute to that statistic? Then go ahead and get a damn hippo. If you wanna live, settle for the dinky tiker toys and stop singing about hippos.
                              Answers: $1
                              Correct Answers: $2
                              Answers that require thought: $5
                              Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Working...
                              X