This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortuitous occurrences?

A long time ago in a town far, far away, Rapscallion (moi!) was once employed as a door-to-door canvasser for uPVC windows. I was young and I needed the money, though I didn't necessarily get the money.

Our team hadn't met the quota of leads for the week, so we decided to try and gain some extra trade on Saturday morning. Suited and booted, we went across to an area of Bradford and - some of us hungover - looked around. None of us wanted to be there.

"Meh," I said, or the pop culture equivalent of the day. "I remember the last time I was here."

"Really?" asked one of my immediate colleagues.

I brought out the diary I kept my lead information in and riffled through. "Aye," I said. "I got three leads that day." I pointed them out.

They looked at me. I looked back. There were four of us. Our team leader wandered across to where a group of workmen were fitting new windows and got a lead for potential wholesale selling to another outfit.

By common consensus, the other three of us put in a lead from history each, all from six months ago in my diary.

Two of them sold.

So, any fortuitous and unlikely events in your favour? Tell all.

Rapscallion

Nothing quite so lucky as this but i've been able to give a client business from another client.

We used to have a paving/general DIY type client. You know the kind. They tarmac your drive and do odd jobs? This client was an arse. He was taking money from folk and then not doing the work or was doing the work badly. Then he vanished.

Fastforward 6 months and we start getting calls on the phone number we'd hired out to him. He was putting flyers through doors advertising the phone number as his again! Cheeky sod.

So every caller that rang in was warned he was dodgy and we gave them all the name and number on another client of ours who did similar work but was not into ripping people (or us) off.

He send us a £500 hamper for Xmas due to all the new leads! Huzzah! lol

Comment

Well, I've had quite a few...with me it's mostly in the "who you know" department. Not so much bigwigs or really influential people, just people who needed some work done and knew I could do it, or asked me on behalf of someone else who needed the work done. My current part-time work at home job came to me this way, as did a few really cool freelancing tech writing and editing projects. (Stupid recession took that kind of thing away for the foreseeable future, I guess...) Networking is definitely good, and actively looking for opportunities, as it seems you did on that occasion, Raps
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

On our way to do some home repairs on the house of my cousin's great grandma one summer with my cousin and we did a dumpster dive on the way out.

If that's strictly Yank slang, then a Dumpster Dive is when you basically go shopping inside a giant metal trash container. Basically, trash picking.

This particular dumpster site was known for it's household junk and we were very poor at the time. We scored a huge glass brandy snifter, remarkable in that it was intact, some tools, and a box of doorknobs, still wrapped in plastic and with their hardware.

We got to grandma's and she needed a couple doorknobs installed.

I never forgot that.

Comment

Working...
        X