This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    I've been ID'd for spray paint and certain cleaning products.
    Because you can huff paint and make meth with the cleaning products.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

That happened at our store last year, it was a New Years Eve kit with nothing in it that was age restricted. The main thing I could think off was it was the same brand as the fireworks we sold, so I just figured anything that was that brand was put into the computer as needing to be 16+ to purchase.

Comment

The brand name on these party kits was "TNT" so maybe that flagged something. Hadn't thought of that before.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
          We had to deal with that kind of stuff when it came to Dungeons & Dragons and also Harry Potter...my husband was big into D&D and his mother was always raging against it, but that didn't dissuade him. She made my stepson promise her when he was a kid he'd never play it...of course, he did, eventually I think both my parents and hubby's shook their heads over my stepdaughter reading the Harry Potter books, too. Geez.
          But the shit isn't real, so what is the big deal. I know it sounds wierd for me to discuss it. I happen to believe that yes there are ghosts, and entities that were not previously human or alive - but 90% of what I see on TV that people claim is real I can come up with perfectly scientific explanations for. There is no way in hell D&D or Harry Potter/sparkly vampires and werewolves are real, they are *books* and *games* written for fun and profit. I would rather have my kids reading/watching SF, Fantasy and Paranormal stuff [like Ghostbusters] and the 'reality' TV paranormal stuff instead of violent stuff like wrestling [even though I know wrestling is staged, it is also very violent]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm so glad our parents let us decide for ourselves what to find entertaining. That's one of the few positives of my upbringing. They weren't overzealous with what we could and couldn't watch or take part in, as long as it wasn't illegal in the strictest of senses.

Granted, my mother actually encouraged me to see R rated movies by paying to see one with a lower rating and simply entering said R rated flick. I was too afraid of getting caught to ever try it, but I digress.

As for the age warnings on the party stuff, perhaps corporate is simply afraid that selling a party hat will inevitably lead to underage drinking whereby anyone listed in response to a, "How did this happen son?" style of questioning will be immediately held accountable for said juvenile's transgression.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              The brand name on these party kits was "TNT" so maybe that flagged something. Hadn't thought of that before.
              TNT is a brand of fireworks, so you might be right on that.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                I used to have horrible issues when I was prompted by the tills to ID for non-alcoholic beer/wine.
                My former job had that-the system would prompt for birrell beer (non-alcoholic beer), but never for the Edenvale (the non-alcoholic wine). Fortunately they were store decisions, not legal ones, but we never had any kids buying those two items.

I can top just about all the posts here on an age warning: food colouring and vanilla essence. The reason why I suspect was due to some kids interstate buying vanilla essence and drinking it: one kid actually died from doing so. Again, this was a store thing, not a legal thing. I only ever had to ID once for a teenager but she laughed when I explained it to her and produced ID .

The spray paint I've been ID'd for when I've bought it, but I can also understand the reason for it: it also helps cut down on vandalism rates.

Cleaning products....no.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                X