• Show
Clear All

Ice Cream Soda Shakes

Need:

Vanilla Ice Cream
    Root Beer or Orange Soda

20 oz cups
    Fork

Fill the cup about 2/3 with Vanilla Ice Cream, lightly packed. Add Soda of your choice. Take the fork and mix and mash it thoroughly until the soda and ice cream blend. The consistency is roughly that of a shake.

Substitutions: I have tried this with Chocolate Ice Cream and Root Beer Ice Cream (both with Root Beer Soda) as well.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Zucchini Saute

3 small or 2 med zucchini, sliced 1/4" thick on the diagonal
      2 small or 1 med carrot, sliced same as zucchini
      1 small or 1/2 med yellow onion, sliced into thin moons
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1 T olive oil
      1 T butter or margarine
      1 tsp celery salt or table salt
      2 tsp Italian seasoning

Heat fats in large skillet over med heat until butter melts. Add carrots and saute until they barely begin to caramelize. Add zucchini and salt; continue to saute 3 minutes. Add onions and go for 3 more minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning, stir for 30 seconds and add 2 T water. Stir once more and cover. Steam until veggies are tender. Goes well with mashed potatoes and baked chicken. Mushrooms or celery can be substituted for other vegetables; just be sure to start with the hardest vegetable and get it halfway cooked.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Mild Enchilada Sauce
        Make your own; it's less expensive.

Cook over medium heat in a saucepan 3 T olive oil and 1 T flour, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup tomato paste, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 T white vinegar. Cook and stir until it begins to thicken. A few dashes of hot sauce can be added. Makes about 3 cups.

Comment

Lower-Fat Strawberry Malteds

For each serving, add to blender: 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 ice cube, 1 cup whole or 2% milk, 1 T strawberry preserves or jam, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 2 T malted milk powder, 1 T sugar. Blend on high until creamy. Top with whipped cream and maraschino cherries, if desired. This is also good with frozen tart cherries instead of the strawberries.

Comment

I just had *the* best salad ever. It contained:

~ Butter lettuce
            ~ Sliced cucumber
            ~Diced avocado
            ~Mandarin orange slices
            ~Sliced chicken breast

That was my dinner. And I am happy. :3
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Walnut Wonder Coffee Cake--Joyce Rosencrans, The Cincinnati Post (She got this from an Amish lady)

Makes 15 servngs.

1 cup butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup dairy sour cream, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt

Filling: 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 cup finely chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add sour cream.
              Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture.
              In a separate bowl, mix filling ingredients.
              Spread half the batter in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with half the filling mixture. Spoon on the remaining batter, spreading it carefully to cover the filling. Sprinkle remaining filling over the top. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35 minutes, or until done.

I have been known to make extra-large muffins (bake 20 minutes). I have also replaced half or all of the sour cream with plain yogurt to cut down saturated fat. I usually use non-hydrogenated margarine, but the last time I used real butter, and it was sooo good. I like to leave the walnuts whole. You can tweak this recipe, but you cannot mess it up.

Comment

I just made one of the last batches of salsa for this year from our tomatoes & jalapeños.
                If you ask me "Is it hot?" I'm going to lie to you

4 cups homegrown cherry tomatoes,cooked in a pan with a smidge of cooking spray so they won't stick,cook on high 'til they start splitting
                on the grill:
                10-20 jalapeños
                2-3 garlic cloves
                1/2 medium yellow or white onion,sliced
                Sea salt
                water

Grill the peppers,onions & garlic 'til they're just soft & slightly charred,cut off the jalapeño stems,chuck it all in the blender & pulse on low 'til you have tiny chunks.Let sit in fridge for a coupla hours & have at it
                "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Thai Som Thum
                  (aka Green Papaya Salad)

10oz Green Papaya*, peeled & cut julienne
                  2 Limes, juiced
                  1 Thai Chile*
                  2 T minced fresh ginger
                  2 t palm sugar*
                  1 T peanut oil
                  3oz cherry tomatoes, halved
                  2 T minced cilantro
                  2oz roasted, crushed peanuts**
                  Salt TT

Combine papaya, lime juice, chiles, ginger, sugar, peanut oil, adding salt to-taste (TT). Mix thoroughly & let sit at room temp for 30 mins, up to 1 hour.
                  Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and crushed peanuts just before serving.

*Green Papaya, Thai chiles, and palm sugar are all ingredients that you should be able to find in most Asian markets. If there are no Asian markets near you, Amazon has all 3 ingredients on their grocery site.
                  **Purchase raw, unsalted peanuts and roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven (one layer) at about 375deg. Watch them for the golden browning, takes about 7-10 mins. Let cool then measure the amount you need and store the remainder in the freezer.
                  "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

This is appropriate for the holidays.

Raisin Walnut Pie

Preheat oven to 350F. Prep a 9-inch pie plate with a bottom cust. Beat until well-combined: 2 cups brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in 1 cup chopped walnuts and 1 cup dark raisins. Pour into the crust and bake for 1 hour, until a tester comes out clean. Serve at room temperature.

Comment

Gougère Bourguignonne (Cheese Bread)

Gougère Bourguignonne

Pâté à chou, a simple paste of water, butter, flour, and eggs is perhaps the most versatile of all French doughs and is certainly the easiest to make. Used as it is in America almost exclusively as a cream-puff base, we know too little about the culinary miracles the French accomplish with it. And the Burgundian gougère is one of them. The basic pàté à chou is combined with cheese and seasonings, piped into a ring, sprinkled with more cheese, and baked until it puffs quite incredibly into an impressive hollow crown. Served hot, warm, or cold, the gougère makes a delectable hors d'oeuvre; but it also does well at lunch, with a salad, or eaten at any time of the day, as the Burgundians eat it, accompanied by a glass of red wine.

} To serve eight or ten {

Pâté à chou:

1/4 pound butter, cut in small pieces
                      1 cup water
                      1 cup unsifted flour
                      4 large eggs

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
                      1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
                      1-1/2 teaspoons salt
                      1-1/2 cups coarsely grated imported Swiss cheese

1 tablespoon soft butter
                      1/4 cup flour

1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon heavy cream

The classic pâté à chou is always made the same way, no matter to what use it is finally put. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the cup of water in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring the water to a rolling boil, and when the butter is completely melted, remove the pan from the heat and dump in the cup of flour. With a large wooden spoon, quickly mix the flour and water together to the consistency of mashed potatoes, then return the pan to the stove. Over moderate heat, beat and mix the paste vigorously for a minute or two until it becomes a smooth, doughy mass that moves all together with the spoon. Now remove the pan again from the heat.

With the back of the spoon, make a small indentation in the center of the paste before it begins to cool; break an egg into it and quickly begin to beat. After the first few strokes, the paste will separate into moist doughy strands. Continue to beat vigorously until the strands come together again and form a solid mass. At that point, make another indentation in the paste and add another egg. Beat together as before, and proceed in the same fashion to add the third and fourth eggs.

After the last egg is beaten in, the paste should be smooth and shiny and should fall lazily off the lifted spoon back into the pan. If the paste is too firm and resistant, break another egg into a dish, stir it lightly with a fork, then beat from a quarter to a half of it into the paste to give it the proper consistency.

This procedure of adding the eggs requires somewhat less energy if you own an electric mixer equipped with a pastry-arm attachment: Transfer the hot dough to the mixing bowl and, with the mixer set at medium speed, beat in the eggs one at a time. But don't attempt this with an ordinary beater attachment; the paste is much too dense.

For gougères, beat the seasonings into the pâté à chou, the salt and the Dijon and dry mustards and follow with 1-1/4 cups of the grated cheese, reserving the remaining 1/4 cup until later. Taste the chou paste and adjust the seasonings any way you like.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Meanwhile, prepare a large cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan: First grease it evenly with a tablespoon of soft butter; then carelessly scatter 1/4 cup of flour over this, tilt the pan so the flour spreads over the whole buttered surface, then shake off the excess flour by holding the pan upright on its side and rapping it sharply on the table. This operation will be considerably less messy if you do it over a long strip of waxed paper which can then be rolled up and thrown away.

Using a 7-inch cake pan or flan ring, press the outlines of two circles on the floured surface of the pan or cookie sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. If there isn't room, make smaller circles or use a second pan. Scoop up the pâté à chou a tablespoon at a time and place the spoonfuls one next to the other in a ring just inside the outline of each circle. Then, with a spatula, join and shape the dough into smooth, 2-inch-thick rings about an inch high.

A more professional way to do this is with a pastry bag fitted with a number 6 or 8 plain tip. Fill the bag no more than two thirds full of paste at a time. Fold the top opening firmly over itself so that no paste can escape, and press out an even 2-inch-thick ring inside each circle as above.

You may also form the pâté à chou as biscuits rather than rings. Bake the same as the rings. This makes delightful cheese puffs.

However you make the rings, paint them lightly with a pastry brush dipped into the egg yolk and cream mixture; make sure the egg doesn't drip down the sides of the gougères and stick to the pan, this could make them rise unevenly. Sprinkle the reserved 1/4 cup of cheese over the surface of the rings, and slide the cookie sheet onto the center shelf of the preheated oven. In about 10 minutes the gougères will have begun to expand; turn the heat down to 350 degrees F. Bake them at this temperature for 10 more minutes, then reduce the heat further, to 325 degrees F., at which temperature the gougères will bake another 20 minutes, and which makes about 40 minutes baking time in all

The finished gougères should be well puffed, attractively brown, and crisp and dry on the outsides. If you don't intend to serve them at once, and prefer them warm, let them rest in the turned-off oven with the door slightly ajar. They can stay this way a good half hour before they begin to cool. It's a good idea, if you do this, also to pierce the sides of the gougères with the point of a sharp knife in three or four places to let out the steam; otherwise the insides will get soggy and the gougères may collapse as they wait. At the last minute, cut into generous pieces and serve immediately.

AFTERTHOUGHTS:
                      * You may use more cheese than is specified if you like, but the gougères will be heavier in texture and less spectacularly puffed.
                      * For many tastes a gougère is at its best served hot, although, surprisingly, the Burgundians themselves prefer it cold.
                      * Although it is hardly traditional, there is no reason why you can't substitute freshly grated Parmesan cheese for half the Swiss cheese.

From Michael Field's Cooking School cook book.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X