This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemo care package suggestions

I just found out my aunt has cancer and is going to be starting chemo. I want to send a care package since I can't visit.
    So far I'm thinking:
    a nice silk scarf
    I can make a cotton tote for carrying magazines
    knit a soft cotton hat
    I've never been thru chemo so any suggestions of things that would be helpful or comforting or just flat out useful (and no I can't send medical you know what - wish I could). Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm crafty so links would also be useful.

I understand that sometimes chemo gives you sensitive skin. As someone with sensitive skin myself:

Bamboo-fibre anything. Socks, towels, gloves....

SOFT fabrics: soft microfibre, soft cotton.

Sharp embroidery scissors and a quick-unpick, to remove clothing tags.

A soft, soft washcloth or three.

Several soft nightgowns with pretty necklines/soft pyjamas that look good/nightclothes with funny slogans for the patient to wear in hospital.

One or two each of light/heavy dressing gowns, to wear in the hospital, depending on whether they're feeling a little bit cold or a lot cold.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A blanket (she may get cold during chemo)
      Hard candy (chemo can leave funny tastes in your mouth)
      Music, books, sudoku puzzles (something to do during chemo)
      Hand sanitizer (to keep her from getting sick)
      Lotion (because most hand sanitizer wrecks your skin)
      A calender or planner (chemo means lots of doctor's appointments, and some people get "chemo brain" where they becme forgetful while on treatment)

Avoid scented stuff, because she may become very sensitive to smells.
      Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Try to include something that'll make her laugh. Humor is one of the best healers out there.

Comment

A readers shrug to keep her shoulders warm, and it has pockets to hold stuff.

Does her clinic provide snacks during chemo? I found that frozen stuff went down better, especially frozen mandarin orange segments and frozen grapes. How about a small snack package?
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Depending on how sick she gets, a google search for "adaptive clothing" may be helpful: there's a wide range of clothes where a patient doesn't have to sit up, doesn't have to stand up, doesn't have to raise her arms, etc.

At this point it's too soon to know what will be needed, but keep it in mind.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

from what I understand, chemo makes you feel sick to your stomach, so maybe some teas? Soothes the tummy, but then check for dietary restrictions while on chemo, that I'm not sure of.

Everyone else has hit on the other items I was going to suggest already.

Comment

Thank-you so much! Some of the suggestions are things I've never thought of.
                As for the food issue - what about those Tupperware freezer pop things so she can make her own? It sounds like frozen foods are easier to get down/stay down.
                As for the cold issue - is it the chemo itself that makes you cold or the having to sit in the hospital "hooked up" that does? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out what material to use to make a wrap.
                Also I think I want to send a care package to her son - so anyone with suggestions on what someone waiting / helping someone going thru chemo would need would be great.

Comment

People who have gone through chemo say that the rooms they have chemo in tend to be set to a cold temperature. Plus, a small blanket/wrap is just something nice to hold when you're feeling low and you want physical comfort.

For her son, gift cards for gas (since I imagine he'll be doing a lot of driving) and something to do during the waiting he'll do at doctors offices and the hospital.

A note of encouragement (for everyone) will be very appreciated as well. I haven't had a patient yet who said "Gee, I wish people would stop sending me cards." Instead, I normally help tape up all the things they're sent so they can see them from bed.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                    People who have gone through chemo say that the rooms they have chemo in tend to be set to a cold temperature.
                    The rooms I got chemo in was nice and warm, but a blanket is always nice. Some types of chemo make you feel cold worse. A scarf to breathe through will help her go home without choking if she get that reaction.
                    I needed gloves too, when cooking. If I touched something cold I would feel as if I got an electric shock in the fingers, so cotton gloves to keep by the fridge may help (and I always wondered, why in the world serve cold drinks to the patients when most can't drink them ).

Comment

Working...
                    X