1/2 tsp salt
    1-1/2 tbsp orange zest
    1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
    3/4 c sugar
    1-1/2 cups unsalted butter
    1 large egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp orange extract

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until fully incorporated. Beat in extracts and orange zest. Sift together flour, salt, and cardamom. Mix dry ingredients in, in 3 portions. Mix until all is thoroughly combined. Chill dough at least 1 hour. Roll out 1/4" thick. Cut with cookie cutters and sprinkle w/ raw (turbinado) sugar. Bake at 375 10 min. Cool completely on cooling rack. Store in airtight container.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Jane Herr Cookie Bars

Makes 12-20 bars, depending on how you cut them

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temp

½ cup brown sugar

½ cup granulated (white) sugar

1 egg

Dash salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup flour

1 cup quick cooking oats

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Blend butter and sugars together until fluffy

Beat in egg and extract

Add salt, flour, and oats and mix until thoroughly incorporated

Bake in a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray for 25-35 minutes

Cool completely and then ice

For the icing, blend together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons soft butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract OR place Hershey’s bars over the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven and return the pan to the oven until the bars are melted and then spread the melted chocolate to evenly cover the cookies.

Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts over the icing

Cut into bars

Store in airtight container up to a week, may be frozen
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Cream Cheese Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, soft
        8 oz cream cheese, soft
        2 tbsp sour cream
        32 oz powdered sugar + extra for coating cookies (1-2 cups)
        3 eggs
        1 tbsp each vanilla extract, lemon extract, orange extract
        1-1/2 tsp almond extract
        1 tsp salt
        2 tsp baking powder
        9 c AP flour

Cream together cream cheese and butter.
        Cream in sour cream and extracts.
        Add powdered sugar, mix slowly at first and then on higher speed to fully blend
        Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding next.
        Sift together dry ingredients and add to icing mixture 1/2 at a time.
        Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
        Scoop using small scooper onto parchment lined baking sheets (12-15 per sheet).
        Roll scoops of dough between hands to form balls.
        Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes.
        Move immediately to racks and cool completely.
        Coat in powdered sugar
        Makes 7 doz.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Wow 42_42_42, I Guess you like to cook.

A few years ago I started a family tradition of making a salad for the Holidays (Thanksgiving and X-mas). It was a healthy way to start, and meant that we didn't eat as much of the heavier foods. So here's that recipe.

10 oz of Spinach
          2 medium size Roma Tomatoes
          1/2 lage Cucumber
          1 whole head of Broccoli
          4-8oz of shredded cheese (I use Italian Blend pre-shred from supermarket)
          (Optional) Annie's All Natural Goddess dressing

Tear the spinach by hand if whole leaf, just dump in bowl if baby spinach. Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, and broccoli into bite sized chunks and add to spinach. Toss to mix thoroughly. Serve in bowls and top with cheese.

Enjoy!

SC

PS: Do NOT forget the cheese. I did once, and my family was supremely disappointed.
          "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Fillet of Sole Malta
            [per person]
            1 sheet of parchement or foil the size of a sheet of copier paper
            1 fillet of sole rinsed off under the tap
            1 rosemary twig, no leaves
            1 sprig fresh thyme
            half a blood orange
            pinch freshly cracked pink pepper
            1 tsp plus a smear of unsalted butter

smear the inside of the parchment with a tiny amount of butter
            lay the fillet on one half, place the sprig of thyme and sprinkle pink pepper on the fillet. Roll up and skewer with the rosemary twig [instead of a plain toothpick]
            squeeze juice of blood orange over the rolled fillet, place teaspoon of butter on top.
            fold and crimp parchment around the fillet, back in preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes, remove and plate. When served cut open the papillote and spread open.

[sauce maltaise is hollandaise sauce made with blood orange juice instead of the vinaigrette or lemon juice, hence the name fillet of sole malta]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Cod a la Bretonne
              serves 2-4, depending on how much cod it uses

large sheet of foil
              2 fillets of cod
              1 leek cut into julienne
              1 carrot cut into julienne
              2 stalks celery cut into julienne
              2-3 sprigs thyme
              2-3 sprigs parsley
              2-3 sprigs dill
              1 lemon
              4 tbsp butter plus a smear

Spread out the foil, smear with butter

lay out half the julienne veggies, lay one cod fillet on top.
              lay out other half of julienne veggies, the sprigs of thyme and dill, and 1 or 2 of the sprigs of parsley. Reserve 1 sprig parsley to use as garnish.
              top with the second fillet of cod, dot with the butter, squeeze the lemon juice over the fish.

Fold the foil around the fish securely. Bake in 400F oven 30-45 minutes depending on how thick the cod fillets are. Gently slide the fish off the foil and onto a platter, chop the parsley and sprinkle on top. Cut some lemon wedges and set around the fish. I like to make a nice wild rice pilaf to go along with it.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Crepes Benedict
                Crepes
                Ingredients

* 2 large eggs
                * 3/4 cup milk
                * 1/2 cup water
                * 1 cup flour
                * 3 tablespoons melted butter
                * Butter, for coating the pan

Directions

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.

Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can stack them and store in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months. When using frozen crepes, thaw on a rack before gently peeling apart.

Hollandaise Sauce
                Ingredients

* 3 egg yolks
                * 1 teapsoon water
                * 1/4 teaspoon sugar
                * 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
                * 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
                * 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
                * 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

Pour 1-inch of water into a large saucepan; over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low.

Place egg yolks and 1 teaspoon water in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until mixture lightens in color, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.

Place the mixture over the simmering water and whisk constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, or until there is a clear line that is drawn in the mixture when you pull your whisk through, or the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Remove the bowl from over the pan and gradually add the butter, 1 piece at a time, and whisk until all of the butter is incorporated. Place the bowl back over the simmering water occasionally so that it will be warm enough the melt the butter. Add the salt, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately or hold in a thermos to keep warm.

Scrambled Eggs
                Make scrambled eggs with about 3 eggs per person

Bacon
                Fry up 1 package of thick cut bacon per 4 people. Remove and drain, and break up. Save some of the bacon fat to cook the scrambled eggs with. Reserve about a quarter of the bacon to top the crepes with.

I make the hollandaise and hold it in a thermos, and set the eggs and bacon close to the coals to keep warm [did i mention this is a camp breakfast?] and conscript someone to make the crepes as I cook the crepes so people are eating this as I am making the next persons breakfast =)

Lay out a crepe, at the 1 third point lay a line of scrambled egg, some bacon crumbles and roll, lay on plate. When you get the second or third crepe finished, drizzle with hollandaise sauce and add a pinch of fine bacon crumbles and serve. I find that 2 or 3 9" crepes is just fine for breakfast.

In camp we usually have a buffet dish of scrambled eggs, a tray of bacon, tray of sausage and tray of hash browns as well, and rob or our roomie makes omelets to order also.

If you are at home, you can make them up and place them in a baking dish, and use it as a buffet item.

Comment

Arepas (my most favorite food ever)

Makes 5-10 arepas

* Pre-cooked cornmeal (The traditional one used in Venezuela is Harina P.A.N. Which you can find at any Latin American food store. And sometimes in the ethnic food section at the grocery store)
                  * Salt -- 1/2 teaspoon
                  * Boiling water -- 3 cups
                  * Oil -- 3 tablespoons

Method

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal and salt. Pour in 2 1/2 cups of the boiling water and mix with a wooden spoon to form a mass. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
                  2. Using wetted hands, form balls of dough out of about 1/4 cup of dough and press to form a cake about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. If the dough cracks at the edges, mix in a little more water and then form the cakes.
                  3. Some recipes call for sauteing the arepas in a skillet, but my mom does it differently. She boils them in water for 5 to 6 minutes.
                  4. When all the patties have been boiled, transfer them to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they sound lightly hollow when tapped. Serve immediately.

There are a million and one ways to serve arepas. You can just cut them in half and spread butter on them and eat 'em that way. Or you can stuff them.

Stuffing suggestions-
                  *Ham, cheese, tomato, and lettuce.
                  *Just butter and cheese. Preferably something like queso fresca or farmer's cheese.
                  *Got ribs left over from dinner the night before? Pull the meat off the bones, stuff it into an arepa, eat.
                  *Tuna salad
                  *For breakfast, stuff them with cheese and perico (eggs scrambled with peppers and tomatoes)
                  Last edited by firecat88; 07-06-2011, 02:10 AM.
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Blueberry-Pomegranate Spiced Apples

My mom and I made this the other day. T'was pancake day at the house and we wanted to do something a little different besides the usual syrup. Thus, we made these apples

Ingredients

* 1 Apple, whatever kind you have on hand, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
                    * 1/4 cup Tropicana 50 blueberry-pomegranate juice
                    * Dash cinnamon-sugar blend
                    * 1 packet of Stevia

Directions

Add all ingredients, plus a small pat of butter, to a pan on medium-high heat. Cook until the apples have turned purple from the juice, but still have a little bit of a crunch. Remove from heat and serve immediately on pancakes, ice cream, pork, or anything else.
                    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                      Danish Wedding Cookies
                      My mom makes these at Christmas, but they're just called Pecan Butter Balls.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Blueberry Sauce: In a Pyrex or similar, microwave 2 cup frozen blueberries and 1/4 cup sugar or sweetener until a sauce is formed, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup frozen wild* blueberries. This will cool it down enough to serve over waffles or pancakes. makes 2 about cups *They're expensive, but you need wild ones to make the flavor pop.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Healthy baked Chicken Nuggets.

A package of boneless skinless chicken breasts
                          3 parts Italian bread crumbs
                          1 part Panko
                          1 part parmesan cheese
                          salt to taste*
                          pepper to taste*
                          Olive Oil

*salt and pepper are optional, I tend to skip the salt.

Preheat oven to 425

pour enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of a baking sheet.

Pour more olive oil into a bowl, a little more than enough to coat your chicken pieces with.

Combine Bread crumbs, Panko, cheese, salt, and pepper into another bowl.

Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces, removing and excess fat as you go.

Coat chicken in oil olive and then in the bread crumb mixture.

Put on baking sheet.

Take whatever is left of the olive oil in the bowl and a spoon, or your fingers and sprinkle along the top of the chicken pieces.

Cook for 10 minutes, flip the chicken pieces, and cook for another 10 minutes.

Ta da! crack nuggets as my boyfriend calls them

Comment

Runza Casserole

2 pounds hamburger meat
                            1 box onion dip mix
                            loads of cheddar cheese
                            3 cans cresent rolls
                            1-2 bags coleslaw mix.

Brown hamburger. Add Onion dip mix. (I add this before the meat is cooked)
                            Boil coleslaw mix. drain coleslaw mix.
                            Mix hamburger and coleslaw.

In casserole pan layer the bottom with flat cresent rolls. (they now make seamless ones but it cost more) Add a layer of cheddar cheese. Add the meat mixture. Then another layer of cheese. Then another layer of cresent rolls.

Bake until the cresent rolls are done. According to the package directions.

Is very very yummy.
                            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Spicy 'Tatoes (the wife's favorite)

Potatoes sliced
                              1 Oinion sliced (optional)
                              2-4 tbsp Olive Oil
                              Onion Powder
                              Garlic Powder
                              Salt
                              Pepper
                              Cayenne Pepper

All ingredients are used to taste.

Pour oil into frying pan. Use only enough to toss potatoes and coat evenly, you don't need much. Place sliced potatoes in pan and toss with wooden spatulas to coat with oil (this allows the seasonings to stick) Season to taste. Be careful with the Cayenne, it doesn't take much to give them a real bite. Toss while seasoning to spread spices evenly. Toss in the sliced onion.

Cook on medium to medium high heat tossing every so often until evenly browned, cover pan for the last 5-10 minutes to steam and finish cooking. Some slices will be darker than others, that's OK.

Serve as a side to whatever seems fitting.

Eric the Grey
                              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Strawberry Surprise Dessert

I invented this for a Strawberry fest my church was having, I then further embellished it for the 4th of July with my family.

Need:
                                1 Jar of Strawberry Jam
                                1 pack of Sponge Cake shells (6 in a pack)
                                3 Strawberries
                                Whipped Cream/Topping
                                1 pint of blueberries

Fill each shell with Strawberry Jam so that it is even with the top edge of the cake. Completely cover the jam with the Whipped Cream/Topping (ie: hiding the contents). Cut each Strawberry in half and place on top. Place blueberries around the edge of the topping. Keep this cold (freezer recommended) until about 5 minutes before serving.

Substitution: You might want to sub in some Hot Fudge ice cream topping for the Strawberry Jam.

SC
                                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
                                X