X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got a job...

Indeed!

My friends own a thrift store, and they need someone to help them. They have a lot of work to do, what with advertising, keeping the store clean, putting things out on the racks and shelves, and processing donations. They're also raising their children. Last Sunday, they offered me a job there - hourly wage plus commission.

I started on Wednesday and worked all day. I opened yesterday (alone) and ended up working a full day, too. I have today off. I work again tomorrow.

I've already made a big difference in one display, getting everything sorted and back on the shelves, creating more space so that more merchandise can be displayed there.

This is amazing. The atmosphere is great, I'm doing a good job and making things that much easier for my friends, and it's easy to get to the store from where I live. My friend was talking about branching out, and having me manage a branch store - not now, but sometime next year.

Congrats! Working in a thrift store sounds fun, and it seems like they found a great asset in you.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Awesome!!! Congrats on the job!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Great, things may be getting better.

Comment

Yay! I'm not sure I should do that job; I would be mentally shopping while I worked and end up buying too much. I'm glad you're working for friends and it's working out well.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yay! This is indeed great news! Congrats! ^_^
            Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
            Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Yes, and the great thing is that I know and trust them, and they know and trust me. Working for friends doesn't always work out; sometimes, the parties have very different ideas on what makes things successful. Or one side is very easy-going, and the other side isn't.

Fortunately, there are no uptight rules. There is a lot of support. My first day, I got free food. And water. Second day, same thing. I've been around the place often enough to know how it works, and they've got a great business going. I can also advertise any of my sideline activities there.

Yes, it's very tempting to buy things. However, I am allowed to borrow books, read them, and return them. This is good. I was able to guide a customer to some reading material he wanted. I suggested an easy Halloween costume for another customer (very enthusiastic, he was). And on it goes.

A friend plans to drop by tomorrow, so I can show her the place. I'm telling everyone to come to the store.

Comment

Congratulations on the job.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

That's great! Sounds like things are looking up a bit; glad to see that.

Borrowing books is great...one of the few things I miss about working in the bookstore (we could borrow any hardcover, just had to leave the dust jacket in the office). By the time I left my second store after 2 years, I had 3 full pages in the sign out log.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Today, I heard something I never thought I would hear from someone I worked for:

"I hope you will be happy here."

...and she means it.

I've arranged two displays now, and the owners are happy. They're really swamped with the other aspects of the business, so it's one of those solutions that works well for all concerned. They have someone trustworthy to work in the store, and I have regular work. We got mobbed today by a group of American college students looking for Halloween costumes, which really put up the revenue. My friend didn't show today, but another friend is going to drop by tomorrow; he lives almost literally around the corner.

And then there's the other work I'm doing. O finally.

Comment

... I saw your handle on a Utah license plate, this style ...
                      Last edited by dalesys; 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

What a great place to work!! I admit I haunt thrift stores and salvation army and just LOVE getting a great deal on things. It sounds like you are working for some great people, and I wish you all the best!
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

They really are great people, and they've worked very hard on their business. I want to be a part of it in a big way. Not taking anything away from them, but adding to what they already have. Who knows? It could turn into something very large for all of us. After the wallops of this past year, I'm still getting accustomed to being valued as a person, not as a warm body to earn more money for a large corporation.

Comment

Glad to hear things are going well. You're right, working with friends doesn't always work out. I've witnessed some ugly fallouts. But it sounds like you guys are really in sync over there and are making it work out for the best of everyone. Glad you not only have a job, but you're actually happy there!
                            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I missed this thread somehow. Anyway, this sounds great! Congrats! I love thrift stores. I've found some great deals at those places, in fact I got my winter coat at one - a down Lands End coat for less than $10. Hood was missing but I don't really like hoods anyway, and who can complain at that price?

Hope it continues to be a great place to work!
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X