Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking it'll be a fair statement to say that within a month or so, Irvy will probably have his yearly "Fuck You Mother Nature" thread
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Forgive my bluntness but...you guys can have that stuff. I remember trick-or-treating in an ice storm one year, and I KNOW I've trick-or-treated with snow on the ground a time or two. I know it won't be long before we get hit with the white stuff here in Iowa, but I'm hoping it holds off for a while yet. *crosses fingers, toes etc* Also I've heard reports of power outages in six states over in the NE. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Confirm. Over 20 million people without power. Our lights keep flickering on and off. There's reports of downed trees all over my city,vand this is true, we drove past several coming home from work tonight.

I got fed up with people asking for gloves, so I dragged the rack right in the front center of the store, directly in front of the door. Snow shovels, melt, fire logs and such are nearby, too.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

We have gotten it here as well, though sparsely. However 10 years ago, we had something like 28 inches in 24 hours: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/132858378

Of course, being a true Minnesotan, this did not stop me from going out for the trick or treating ritual. I ended up with my pillowcase full of candy because most people were not expecting too many more kids so they gave me and my cousins most of what they had bought. I gave it out to friends at school who didn't go out that night.
          "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Ooh shit...Stay safe up there Ralerin, and everyone else!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I decided to skip the outing. Walking home from work, I managed to almost slip a couple times, and that was in my good shoes. If I'd been in my dancing shoes, I'd have broken something. With the wedding in two weeks (less! LESS!), I just can't afford to risk hurting myself right now.

Dammit, I needed a dancing marathon. Something to burn off energy.

Comment

Looks like 4" total here (we must have gotten hit with a 2nd bout after I went to sleep)

We were very lucky....I think its 700K without power in CT. Our lights flickered twice, but that was it.

I think all the Irene weakened limbs finally came down. Today is warm and sunny (at least on the shoreline) so I hope all crews that are out are staying as pleasant as possible.
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I grew up in eastern Upstate NY, and don't recall ever having snow before Halloween. At least, not that stuck. Whatever we did have would usually melt almost immediately. So this is kind of weirding me out.

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                  Also I've heard reports of power outages in six states over in the NE. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
                  Quoth Cat View Post
                  I think all the Irene weakened limbs finally came down.
                  It seems to be predominantly (here in Southern CT, at least) due to the fact that the trees haven't finished dropping their leaves yet, coupled with possible weakening from Irene. Those leaves are holding extra loads of wet, heavy snow on the trees, bringing down the branches. We've seen a few younger trees around here bent over double under the weight of the snow. Luckily we still have power.

My second child's going to have to wear a coat over her mermaid costume tomorrow. I don't think I can get by with just long sleeves under it. Luckily Oldest's costume is a warm coat, as is NewBaby's.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                    Confirm. Over 20 million people without power. Our lights keep flickering on and off. There's reports of downed trees all over my city,vand this is true, we drove past several coming home from work tonight.

I got fed up with people asking for gloves, so I dragged the rack right in the front center of the store, directly in front of the door. Snow shovels, melt, fire logs and such are nearby, too.
                    Yep - my fiance and his son are camped out at the Wendy's in Derry as there's no power in his apartment. He said there's downed trees all over, and too many morons who can't drive in snow to count.
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Is it wrong that I can't see a town named "Derry" without thinking of evil clowns? Eek.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
                        Is it wrong that I can't see a town named "Derry" without thinking of evil clowns? Eek.
                        Lot not at all the first thing I thought of when I heard the name was the same thing!!!
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

There were and still are people that are powerless due to the lines down and trees knocking stuff around. :/ I still have power and heat thankfully. I also was able to still have my annual halloween party. Some people bailed b/c of the weather, but those that made it had a great time (from what I remember). And my brother was Bender and he looked awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X