Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've mentioned it before, but if I won "the big one" I'd hire a contractor to remodel our apartment (totally Extreme Makeover : Home Edition style) and equip it with as many flatscreens, wi-fi gadgets and other technobabble stuff as our power cabinet could handle, while we all are either on a month-long holiday or temporarily renting a furnished apartment somewhere.

But alas, our budget doesn't allow us to spend money on lottery tickets
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Cinnamon-rolled chocolate-covered almonds from the bespoke chocolatier in town, and a good cigar every day for the rest of my life. Apart from that, I'm good.
      The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

I like that castle idea. Just need a guard dragon and you'd be set.

I'd like a really big Jacuzzi style bathtub and then a big, overstuffed, recliner that I could curl up on and read a book.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Oh, and one more thing. I want another room in my flat, so I can have a proper library.
          The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
            Baking and cooking comforts me
            No, no, no. What I meant was that it wasn't absurd, not that it wasn't comforting.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

This is something my Mom and I have spent hours discussing and planning for . . .

Our plan is this:

1) pay up our rent for a full year

2) I'd give my buddy Lee a call (he went from driving a Pepsi truck to selling real estate after he got hurt a few years ago) and start house hunting.

3) Head over to the Chrysler dealership in High Point that sells specialized vehicles and get Mom a handicap accessible van (one with the lift so she can get her chair inside.) And I'd get me a new Ram dual cab and take it and get 'her pimped out.

4) New clothes for everybody . . . take my brother to the Big and Tall shop and turn him loose with BB (Big Brian, who's been there for quite a number of years now) and have him completely made over. (I'm sick of seeing him in t-shirts and NASCAR themed garb - ugh.)

5)I'll go furniture shopping for myself for the new house and buy myself a new bedroom ensemble. I'm leaning toward another waterbed - Mom and brother will probably go for the Tempurpedic.

6) I'd have a large game room w/regulation pool table, a wet bar and kitchenette, big screen tv and a jacuzzi.

And another Jacuzzi outside on the deck (since I don't smoke inside) so I can enjoy those cool evenings by the outside fireplace with a good glass of wine.

And yes, there just might be a wine cellar in the new house.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Custom made bras. Ones that actually fit and are PRETTY.... So sick of plain boring bras.

Comment

A live-in masseur.

For the health benefits, of course.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I bought a really nice piece of property in Texas years ago. I'm currently living in an adjacent subdivision lot, but if I really had money to burn I would finally finish my plan to build a nice house there.

This is the view from where the house would be placed:

http://shambala.net/photos/canyon/canyonp.jpg

Comment

Quoth chikenlady View Post
                      I would be retiring to a place on earth that has never seen snow and the temperature has never been below freezing. Doesn't matter where, but those two are a must.
                      Hm, visiting Jester, it sounds like
                      Quoth iradney View Post
                      Baking and cooking comforts me
                      Same for me - I used to be known for drive by desserting people ... I love making and decorating cookies or baking bread when I get antsy. Being diabetic, I can't eat what I bake most all the time. *sigh*
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Ok, first off, no fixing up the house I have - I'm getting an all-new house built from the ground up and designed to fit my life.

That would definitely include an indoor hot tub big enough for the both of us to lounge and be comfortable. Or not lounge, as the case may be...

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hmm. Yes. Custom built house. Wheelchair-wide doorways, accessible shower, accessible loo (and bidet!), ramps or even a lift instead of stairs. No, I'm not (at the moment) stuck in a wheelchair: but on my bad days I need to use a walker, and wheelchair-accessible is also walker-accessible.

Also; IF one of us does get injured and needs a wheelchair, we won't have to mod the house. Or if a friend with a wheelchair visits, the house is already 'friendly'.

Two loos. Shower and bath in separate bathrooms, so two people can get clean at the same time. On-demand hot water system.

House built with the primary living room facing north*, with a verandah or patio roof to protect/shade it in summer. Living rooms facing east, sleeping rooms on the west side of the house.
                          (We're in the southern hemisphere. Northern hemisphere folks would want it facing south.)

Good insulation in the floor, roof and walls. Water-circulated heat-sink based heating/cooling system, with the heat side of the system coming up from the floor, and the cool side of the system down from the ceiling. Ceiling fans, to assist in the circulation of the heated/cooled air.

Small, single-family-sized wind turbines and solar panels on the roof. Our city gets very windy; why not use it? If we put the turbine in a cage, birds won't get hurt by it.

All appliances arranged so that lifting and bending are minimised. Also, some of those gas-lift or pedal-lift trolleys, to save our backs.

And a heated, salt-water indoor swimming pool.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            Hmm. Yes. Custom built house.
                            I know, right? Why think small if you've won several million bucks?

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Let's see now...

If I won the lottery, not only would I pay off my current house, but I'd buy back my grandmother's farm which was sold in 2007. All 80 acres of it, plus the carriage house, workshop would be mine. What can I say, other than I spent many happy times in that house.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If I won a BIG one? Something like that £160 million that a couple won recently? Hmmm... OK....

First of all I'd get hold of an architect and tell him what kind of house I wanted... Big enough to have family and friends to stay comfortably, not so uselessly big that half of it never got used. A lift so that when Myt's legs are bothering him, he doesn't have to worry about stairs. Oh, and a first class ticket to get him over here to me A pool with a wave machine, that he can exercise in whenever he wants.
                                A big, cosy kitchen that's big enough for a farmhouse type table and chairs so people can sit round and talk while I'm cooking or baking. A library with an open fireplace and huge snuggly leather chairs. A boot room so when I come back from walking the dogs (oh yes there will be dogs... and cats.. probably horses too) there is somewhere to dry them off and clean their feet.
                                A Caterham, which I think look just so much fun to drive. And a big roomy car too, so that Myt can stretch his legs out and be as comfortable as possible.

Did I mention a mediaeval style wedding, so I can make an honest dragon of him?

And a few other things....

My mother's friend J would get the money she needs to get away from the prize a***hole she's living with, who bankrupted her.

My friend C would get a one storey house or bungalow (she has severe problems with her knees) with a garden for a dog, which I would also get for her (she lost her little pet recently) and a car to replace the one she gave up when she couldn't afford the petrol any more. I'd also make sure that affording the petrol wouldn't be a problem either.

My brother and his family would get to move out of town and back to the villages - where they live now is right near the river, and in the evacuation zone when it floods. I'd also send them on holiday somewhere like Disneyland.. my little niece has had some health issues this year and has put up with everything without a murmur, bless her.

I'd also help my older niece and her fiance - get them a house, help them sort out their wedding plans (they are still thinking about when / how they want the day to be)

And then I'd keep an eye out for things going on locally that needed help (like a while back when some swine broke into a garage belonging to a charity, and torched two minibuses used for taking handicapped kids and teenagers out and about......)
                                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X