Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you like trains, you might just LOVE this...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you like trains, you might just LOVE this...

I've been given this story...uhh let's see, third- or fourth- hand by a mate of mine who works with British Rail.

Now y'see these trains that pootle around the length and breadth of Britain have a crazy stopping distance, let's see - a MILE and A HALF. Madness, but expected really. So that means you can't just get on the train and drive it; like a taxi driver or a bobsled captain, you have to know the route, know all the curves and lights and points, and where and how much to brake.

[/BG]

A driver was told to go down to Yeovil in Somerset to navigate for a crew from Darlington, who of course one couldn't expect to know the lines so far south of their usual area. From what I perceived this navigation help seems to be somewhat common. So the driver said okay, I'll do it, and he headed down to Yeovil and looked around for his train.

At this point I guessed the ending, 'the train wasn't there!!' But no, it was there.

The driver looked at the train, went O.o, then asked a colleague 'Is that my train?' and he said 'Yeah...why, weren't you told?'

This wasn't a normal communter train, oh no...it was the Tornado!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Pe..._60163_Tornado

If you like trains, I think I can hear you bouncing in your seat from here. I know I was. If you're a little , this is a steam train finished in 2008 that IIRC makes regular journeys on the bog-standard rails all the other trains use, and it's max speed is 100 mph - it has to be limited to 'only' 75!! I'd do anything to see this thing go ZOOOOOM past me, let alone ride it...let alone help navigate the thing!!
    Last edited by SongsOfDragons; 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: No, you CAN'T just drive the train. Silly typo... XP
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Heeeeeeeeehehehe

I thought I'd pop in here to look out of professional curiosity... I've been lucky enough to have that run through two stations I was working at, while I was there! Only once did I get to watch it though.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

It looks beee-yooo-ti-ful!!! Next time I'm across the pond I will have to see if I can't find an excuse to take it somewhere.

Comment

You could also - shameless plug here - drive it in a simulator on your PC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24041/

Comment

THat's ok, hubby and I were drooling over *this* last night.

If only we could win the lottery to afford it ... *sob*
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I've occasionally gotten to see and work with the crew on this one when it's passed thru town.http://cprsteam.com/Empress2816.htm

Comment

Ooo, she's beautiful! I loved riding the trains when I went to England a few years ago. I bet that one's even more fun!
              "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
              X