This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-sucky customers

We've had many examples of sucky customers getting their own way after screaming, crying and generally acting like a toddler having a tantrum, but do you have any examples of customers (including your fine selves) getting things just for being a generally nice, normal, decent human being?

As an example, a while back I went to the local Maccy D's for lunch as I couldn't be bothered to go home and cook between errands. I'd bought myself a meal with tea as the drink. Once at my table, I took the lid off to add milk and managed to knock the cup flying, drenching the contents of my tray and threatening to spill over the floor. I dashed over to the lady with the cleaning trolley further down the aisle and begged for a cloth to clean up the mess before it spread any further. As we were mopping up the manager nabbed the soaked tray and disposed of it.

Once everything was clean I thanked the cleaner and went to grab my bag to go up and buy another lunch, only to turn around and have the manager present me with a fresh meal. She then turned down my offer to pay for the meal (after all, it was my klutziness that caused the spill).

Any other contributions?
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

I went to McDonalds after a rather long day. Went through the drivethrough and they asked me to pull ahead because they were dreadfully busy. I said sure cause I was just tired and hungry. I began looking at my smart phone after I had parked and was distracted. ABout 20 minutes pass and I start wondering where my food was so I parked in a normal space and went inside to ask. I didn't yell, curse, scream. I wasn't upset I could tell they were busy as all get out and I just wanted my food.

The manager was all over it and got my food right away. That didn't shock me at all, but he did give me a full refund for which I had not asked for nor requested. I thanked him and told him it wasn't necessary. he insisted and thanked me for my patience.

Comment

A few years back I was looking to buy the movie The World's End on Blu-Ray due to a good sale at Best Buy, and couldn't find a copy on the shelves. I politely asked a manager if there was "a copy in the back" (yes, I used that line, to my chagrin ), and he came back around eight minutes later with the triple pack of the entire "Cornetto Trilogy" (with director Edgar Wright's previous movies, Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, included), and said that there were no more copies of The World's End, but he would sell me the Cornetto Trilogy for the same price, to which I gladly accepted. Fantastic deal, and I didn't have to shout and whine and wave my hands around like an asshole to get it, either. More flies with honey than vinegar.

Comment

Yesterday I dropped my wife off at the airport. She's going to be gone for some time. As I started driving off, I noticed she left her phone in the car. So I parked and ran inside to get her phone to her. When I came back to the car, a cop was writing a ticket. (There was a sign right there that said loading and unloading only, $100 fine for parking.)

I apologized, said that my wife had left her phone in the car, and took the ticket. "Expensive phone," I quipped. I got in the car, buckled up, and noticed the cop was motioning "give me" with his hand. When I rolled the window down and asked what he meant, he told me to give him the ticket. "I'm supposed to keep cars moving, not write tickets." I gave him the ticket back, thanked him, and drove off.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I mentioned this elsewhere, but my store recently closed. A week or so ago I was measuring out some tea for a customer, and I asked if she wanted what was left; the tin was almost empty. She said sure.

I was just making conversation, but I said "Wow, I should've gotten some of this; it's pretty good."

I gathered up her bags of tea and started to walk to the cash register when she asked if I could split the last bag into two bags.

"Sure," I said. "Why?"

"Oh, you said you wanted some and I didn't want to take it all if you want some ..."

I thanked her profusely, but added that I have so many teas at home (true) that I was going on the philosophy "If it's still there on the last day, I'll buy some; if it's not, it wasn't meant to be."

She actually seemed uncertain. I had to repeat myself two or three times. What a nice lady!
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            I politely asked a manager if there was "a copy in the back" (yes, I used that line, to my chagrin )
            Recently I was in Bullseye for curtains. I had looked at them online and saw it said three in stock. I didn't want to do the in store pickup (even though I LOVE it) because I wanted to see the true color before buying. I get there and of course there's only one curtain panel on the peg. I look all around to see if it's misplaced, but don't see any. I sadly start looking at secondary choices. Then an employee comes to stock and I ask if there might be more of this one. I tried not to say "in the back" He scans it and says it says they have three. He pauses, like he's done so I ask "do you think they could be found?" Again, trying hard not to say "in the back." He calls over the radio about the article number and the responding voice says "it says we have three." I'm inwardly chuckling because he wasn't asking how many he was asking her to find them.

Anyway, he goes off to the back, though not before being pounced on by a lady who had been hovering. He finds them and I have ridiculous burnt orange curtains, yay! Seriously, though, a SC could have gotten snarky in the beginning when he paused like "well, could you FIND those other two??" That's what SCs at the fabric store would have done. If you didn't immediately have an answer or offer them what they expected they turned mean instantly. And then maybe you don't find the product for the SC. But hey, being a normal human and not going psycho at the drop of a hat pays off.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Last year hubby and I were at Home Depot to get a carpet cleaner. We were comparing different versions and decided on a Rug Dr Professional, which happened to have a $50.00 off sticker/coupon on the box. When we brought it up it turns out that the sticker/coupon had expired (you couldn't tell unless you pulled it off the box and read the back, which we didn't do, we waited for the cashier to do that.) Cue the cashier actually bracing herself, apparently preparing for a hateful tirade. Poor thing - we told her that we understood it wasn't her fault, and that "accidents happen." (Both of us have worked in retail hell.) We told her to go ahead and just process it at full price.

Unbeknownst to us, at the register opposite hers, there was a manager who overheard us, came over, and gave us a $50 discount. We were flabbergasted and told him he didn't have to do that. He just said "I know - have a great day!"
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Temps are still hovering right around 100F (35C) and I am drinking iced tea constantly.

There is a drive through close enough to go through on my break, so I am there all the time tanking up. Last week, the line was pretty long and the lady at the window apologized to me for the wait. I told her that I understood about lines and also said something off-handed about her beautiful smile making the wait worthwhile. (She does indeed have the most lovely and real looking smile I've ever seen on someone working that sort of job.)

When I went at lunch on Friday, the manager came to the window and said that I had been so nice to his employee that she started crying after I left. Then he comped me 2 large iced teas.

Comment

I couple days ago I was broke and found a subway card in the depths of my room. I didn't know how old it was or if it even had money so I stood in line and waited to get it checked. It wasn't a very busy day and there was only one person ahead of me. When I found out I had enough money for a small sub if I kept away from the more expensive kind I went to order up my sandwich; but someone had stepped in line while I was having my card checked so i told him to go in front of me as his was already being started and I didn't want to confuse the workers by having the food made in the opposite order of the actual customer. Besides, it's only a few seconds difference and I'm gonna get my food either way so I try not to be a bitch about it. The guy I waved in front of me paid for my order as well as his... And then while I was sitting down to eat the subway staff made me another 6inch for free and thanked me for not making things more confusing then it had to be. Apparently they had just finished a freak rush and two of the three people working that day were on their first shift.
                  Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
                  X