This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty

I report for duty tomorrow morning. Not sure if I will be sequestered, but I know (due to the info I received) that it will include an NDA. for '7 years after the proceedings conclude'. Wish me luck.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Cool. I always wanted to be empaneled for a criminal case
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Good luck, Myt. Sounds like you may need it . . .

Comment

Good luck ...

Can you at least bring a book with you?

An editor told me, many years ago, that even if I were ever called for jury duty (and I'm in my 60s and never have been) I would never be selected ... due to my journalism background.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

NDA is probably not for a criminal trial. I would guess sensitive company info. Maybe copywrite or patent dispute.

Whatever it is, I hope it is interesting.

Tell us what you can tell us when you get done.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've only been called in once. The day before I was to report in I got called to let me know they didn't need me after all. Kind of sucked they waited that long to let me know seeing as I had to get time off of work for it and now I could work after all.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              I've only been called in once. The day before I was to report in I got called to let me know they didn't need me after all. Kind of sucked they waited that long to let me know seeing as I had to get time off of work for it and now I could work after all.
              I know. That's happened to me twice.
              This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                Typically that's allowed--so long as it's not related to the case.
                I've never served more than one day at a time--at most I would get bounced from the panel and done for the day.
                Mrs. TGK had this case on her last jury stint:

Northwestern's Central DuPage Hospital to pay $20M malpractice settlement
                Lisa SchenckerContact Reporter
                Chicago Tribune
                Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital has agreed to pay $20 million to settle a lawsuit brought by a former Chicago attorney who suffered brain damage after he was allegedly misdiagnosed.

Christopher Zinski, of Wheaton, went to Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield late one night four years ago complaining of a headache, neck pain, vomiting and disorientation. The then-50-year-old man was given pain medication and sent home, said his attorney, Kevin G. Burke of Burke Wise Morrissey & Kaveny.

Two days later, Zinski collapsed at his desk at law firm Schiff Hardin, where he was a partner. He had suffered a stroke, according to the suit filed in Cook County Circuit Court in 2013. He sustained serious damage to his short-term memory and can't remember any new information for more than about a half hour, Burke said.

"He's never going to have a normal life again," Burke said. "He's never going to have the career he could have finished with. He's never going to have the friendships he enjoyed."

Judge Thomas Lyons signed an order approving the settlement Monday. A trial in the case started Oct. 28.

Northwestern Memorial HealthCare spokesman Christopher King said in a statement that Northwestern's mission each day is to provide patients with high-quality, compassionate care.

"While we believe the care provided at that time was appropriate, we hope this settlement brings closure to the patient and his family," King said in the statement. At the time Zinski visited the hospital, it was part of Cadence Health, which Northwestern Memorial HealthCare acquired in 2014.

Zinski and his wife, Pattie Zinski, alleged the hospital was medically negligent. Those who treated Zinski should have ordered a CT scan and consulted with a neurologist, they alleged.

A CT scan would have revealed the problem, Burke said. At that point, doctors could have performed a procedure to stop a recurrence of the bleeding in Zinski's brain, preventing the damage he ultimately suffered, Burke said.

In an email, Pattie Zinski called brain injury a devastating tragedy for many families. She said she hopes her family's story sparks change in hospital policy so other families don't have to experience what her family has endured. The Zinskis have four children.

"The person Chris Zinski was when he left for work on Sept. 17, 2012, at Schiff Hardin and the person he is today are two separate people," Pattie Zinski said. "We will always miss the father and husband that Chris was but we will always care for him and treasure the rest of the time we have with him."

lschencker@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @lschencker

Copyright © 2016, Chicago Tribune

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Good luck ...

An editor told me, many years ago, that even if I were ever called for jury duty (and I'm in my 60s and never have been) I would never be selected ... due to my journalism background.
                  paralegal and forensic accountant =)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

On my last jury stint to felony court, the first one bounced after the cops and lawyers was a guy who got religion and "could not stand in judgement of another." The judge thanked him and had the bailiff locate his check and show him the door.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                    X