Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can see why you get a lot of students like me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can see why you get a lot of students like me...

This one actually relates to me and not to my work for once.

I'm looking at doing a trial lyra class this weekend with a view to possibly signing up (part of the weekend is to also do a test to see what the best route is for me in terms of actually getting there) for their next term. Ahead of that class however, I've been worried that if I do end up signing up, I'm going to be missing one of the classes in the first week due to something I had planned beforehand and I couldn't cancel.

I wound up emailing them to find out if me missing that first week would be an issue at all, fully expecting them to regurgitate back a simple pre-written explanation for situations like this or to get something from their desk staff.

Instead, the email I got back was very genuine, very friendly and reassured me that I won't be missing out on anything since the trial session actually covers the same content. I went and checked out their website in a little more detail as well.

Turns out that every so often, they do photoshoots with their students and also a short interview with them afterwards. ALL of them had said that they were just as nervous about setting foot in the studio and in around a third of the cases, were afraid that their body shape would be seen as a hindrance (we're talking actual plus-size here). Some of them had even emailed the studio in advance asking about it. The founder was the one who responded to them each and every time, reassuring them and making them feel welcomed.

So, barring any major issues on the weekend (more bodily than anything), I think I'm going to like this...

That sounds like an awful lot of fun!

Comment

Pray tell what is a lyra class?
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Google tells me the lyra is an aerial hoop that one dances and aerobics in/around. It looks like it could be fun for someone who doesn't need to have feet planted on the ground, and great fun for the rest of us to watch.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          Pray tell what is a lyra class?
          Quoth Buzzard View Post
          Google tells me the lyra is an aerial hoop that one dances and aerobics in/around. It looks like it could be fun for someone who doesn't need to have feet planted on the ground, and great fun for the rest of us to watch.
          Yes, correct.

Lyra is basically a metal hoop (the ones I had in class weigh about 5kg) that's suspended in the air and you do various poses and other tricks off of. The studio's focus is on performances (you don't HAVE to do them, but you learn a routine anyway) so each term there's a routine that you learn (broken down into 30 second blocks, so you practice that 30 second block until you're confident). There's an added bonus in that you can make the hoop spin while doing your various tricks/poses.

This is what lyra looks like (obviously far more advanced than anything I'll be learning!)

The class I did on Sunday (and the ones I will be doing) only have the hoop set fairly low with a giant-ass crash mat underneath (the top of the hoop is just above me and I'm just over five-eight).

Comment

Working...
          X