This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop for World of Warcraft

Well, ladies and gents, it's the Idiot again.

I'm in the Market for a laptop. But not just ANY laptop. A Sager, because when I had my original Sager I loved it to death (literally) and I want another one.

Why Sager, you ask? Because they specialize in Gaming platforms. That's why.

Only thing I can do now is to build it.

What specs do you suggest for building up my new Sager for handling WoW via wi-fi hotspots?

I tried asking EQ, but she passed me off to someone who tried to insist that I sell my desktop (which I use for artwork) on eBay. Uhm....fuck shit no. I spent months agonizing just to get this desktop, I'm not giving it up just because I can't haul it with me to town and LAN parties with my friends.

The Laptop will be ONLY for World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. Maybe a little internet searching for tips on not getting my poor ass sniped. But that's seriously it. No tablet, no music, none of the add-ons.

So what say you?
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

I loved my Sager, though she does run hot.

I would get the most memory you can and a big hard drive and a good video card. If I remember right they are pretty easy to work on if you want to upgrade it later. Mine still runs great but it just wasn't portable enough for what I needed. Still runs great. The hubby uses it for when we go to the friends to play. And don't sell the desktop, that is silly. I have both

Good luck!
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Okay RW, since you couldn't listen ON THE PHONE I'm going to tell you here.

With the exception of a $30 video card, your desktop is TOP OF THE LINE, MADE FOR GAMING. The ADDED expense of getting a Gaming Laptop that will be outdated in a year isn't worth it. That's why The SO tried suggesting you sell the Desktop to balance out the cost. But you seem to have LOADS of money to burn so go ahead and spend the money on something you do not need.

He wasn't TELLING you do sell the desktop. He was suggesting it because it would have been better if, in the beginning, you told us you needed a Laptop. Not a desktop.

But this is the suggestion I have: Double check the specs you need for World of Warcraft (the newer ones are fine, I guess. I know nothing about the thing) and match for the specs you need. However, that Acer you were looking at is basically the same as your desktop. It will run WoW for you and is only... what? $500? Get that.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

And since YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME ANYHOW, I'm gonna tell you ONE LAST TIME, Queenie.

My desktop CANNOT leave my RV.

I told you in the very first conversation that I wanted a laptop. Don't you DARE try to tell me otherwise. You and HIM (....no, not Him from Powerpuff Girls, stop snickering) said it would be cheaper and better if I got a desktop. So I got a desktop.

I want a laptop IN ADDITION. That way I can take ADVANTAGE of the wi-fi hotspots in coffeeshops, campgrounds, and currently Mom's Hotel. Why anyone would give up a Gaming Desktop for a Gaming Laptop is beyond me.

there are a lot of things I don't need. I don't need the sugar-free cookies I bought today. Nor the Bicentennial half dollar I got from work. I don't need to drink Diet Rite all the time when I could have water. I don't neeeeeeeeeeed a Fuzzy dog for a Companion when a couple goldfish would be cheaper. But ya know what? I WANT them. There's not really a whole lot I can have right now, so excuse me for wanting something to take my mind off my job and my customers that want to get in my pants.

I don't care that you loathe WoW. I like it. You don't have to play it. You don't even have to look at it. I just wanna kill the bunnies!

Also, I don't know why, but like B-E-N's voice, there's something about X's voice that all melds into one long mumble. Maybe it's because I'm tone-deaf. Maybe it's because I hate his guts for what sounds like he's speaking down his nose at me. Maybe it's because I simply don't like anyone you date and it's all psychological. I don't know. But stop putting him on the phone. I can't hear him and that makes my mind wander off to other dimensions.

Comment

WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator computers, and I don't think the reqs have changed much in the expansions. Any machine with a duo core processor, 1GB RAM (if XP, 2GB if Vista), and a mobile video card will do it fine, and for quite a while. The only problem is the mobile video card is going to jack the price up a LOT. However, those are literally the only 3 things you need to worry about for a laptop, and you don't even need to worry about the speed of the CPU, any duo core works. Just check the video card's specs online to make sure they meet the minimums.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

So what's a good video card?

What's a bad video card?

What IS a video card?

And if my [desktop] computer needs one then why doesn't it have one? If it didn't have a video card how would I be able to use a monitor? Why does no one ever bother to tell me what I need to know and only give me generalizations?

And WHY IS THE DAMNED CELL PHONE TOWER STILL FUCKING ME OVER?!

Comment

RW, i run wow on my cheap toshiba that i upgraded the ram on for $40. any of the toshibas i have seen in wallyworld. for the most part like broom said any modern laptop is gonna run wow fine. i have 2 gb on my toshiba a205s5400 which will be a year old in march. if you can find a similar setup to that you should be fine. i think the ones i saw at wallyworld were about the same level, though 1 had 4gb to my 2
              This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
              my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

You know, SteeleDragon - I look at the posts between EQ and RWH in this thread, and then I see your signature.

*ponder*

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post

What's a bad video card?

What IS a video card?

And if my [desktop] computer needs one then why doesn't it have one? If it didn't have a video card how would I be able to use a monitor? Why does no one ever bother to tell me what I need to know and only give me generalizations?

A video card is the thing that lets your computer "talk" to the monitor. If you can see the computer's output on the monitor, you've got one.

When you said you use your desktop for artwork, I assume you're talking about a very fancy paint program - the screen doesn't get very many updates, so the video card's speed isn't an issue. The work it has to do is the equivalent of hauling a couple bags of groceries home from the store - a Chevy Cobalt can do the job.

WOW has multiple (I believe they're 3D - don't play it) objects on screen that are moving, so they have to be updated frequently. This needs a powerful, fast, power-hungry (and heat-generating) video card. The work it has to do is the equivalent of hauling 40,000 pounds of rolls of paper - that's a job for an 18 wheeler.

Your desktop probably has the video card equivalent of a Chevy Cobalt.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                    [SIZE="1"]
                    What's a bad video card?

What IS a video card?
                    To play WoW, you're not going to need to worry about "good" or "bad", unless you wanna play it at max graphical settings. The only words you need are "discrete graphics card." That just means one that isn't "on-board," which means it's part of the motherboard. And wolfie has a good analogy.

If your desktop doesn't have a discrete graphics card, your motherboard probably has on-board graphics, which is good enough for non-gaming use, unless you're doing high-end video editing, which I don't think you are.

The only reason I say that you need a discrete graphics card for the laptop is because there can be compatability issues otherwise, and since you're getting this for a specific purpose, it's best not to take chances. The main types are the "ATI Mobility" ones, and the NVidia "M" series cards. Just look for a laptop that has either of those, and you shouldn't have any issues.

ETA: Looks like Sager only uses NVidia, and http://www.sagernotebook.com/product....php?pid=91130 that is the lowest one to have a seperate graphics card, it looks like. Pick the cheapest option for everything and you should be fine. If you want to bump up anything, if you have spare cash, go for RAM first, then CPU.
                    Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-18-2009, 03:02 PM. Reason: giving link
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Just too let you know, Hubby runs WoW on a $400 laptop, that is has upgrade the memory and hard drive on.

It barely met specs but worked like a charm. He can run around on his on and farm. I got a Dell Studio from the outlet store, for about $800 that runs it like a dream. I believe she has a 256mb Nvidia card in her.

Try and stay way from an onboard video card.
                      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        You know, SteeleDragon - I look at the posts between EQ and RWH in this thread, and then I see your signature.

*ponder*

Rapscallion
                        Thank you Raps.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

We were being brats, weren't we?

I'm sorry, EQ. My behaviour was appalling.

Thanks for all the tips, mates. <3 It's appreciated.

EQ and Mom both told me to just pick up the cheapie from WallyWorld, but I'm thinking of grabbing it from BestBuy instead since it's.....well.....cheaper.

Comment

RWH - the problem that you run into with laptops is that most of the parts are proprietary.

For example, 95% of the time you can't walk into a computer store and get a dedicated internal video card for a laptop as you would with a desktop machine. (Replacement parts at tech shops are the biggest exception.)

You want to know something? I have a HP Pavilion dv6623cl laptop that has built-in wireless, windows vista, and an Intel video card. Yes I know Intel video cards are usually inferior to NVidias... but I will say one thing.

This machine plays WoW. I use it to play WoW when I'm not at home.

How much did it cost me? I caught it as a random woot back about 6-8 months ago for $400 + $5 shipping.

My $0.02 and something for you to consider.

Thank you.
                            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              WoW was designed for the lowest common denominator computers, and I don't think the reqs have changed much in the expansions.

Actually it has... the requirements for Wrath of the Lich King content are greater than the rest of WoW. Of course depending on the account of the gamer, it may take a while to actually reach this content.

I'd recommend at least 1.7ghz and an Nvidia or ATI chipset on the laptop in addition to what you've mentioned above.
                              Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-20-2009, 01:41 PM.
                              Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Working...
                              X