This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    AKA "The ones one the actual desktop" then? A or B, you gimme C. Looks like TA answered the question then.
    Sorry I'm used to dealing with idiots.

Comment

Finally got into my profile.

SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
        Sorry I'm used to dealing with idiots.
        *glare* Right then, you're going on the naughty list.

Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

A friend of mine beta tested W7... his short summary:

"Windows Vista, only less stupid."

Nice screenshots tho. Looks pretty
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

I added an old 20gig HD to my system and installed it as a dual-boot on Monday night. So far, from what I've seen of it, it's very nice.

I'm not certain I like the task bar. I really like the one in Vista, but that's me. There will most likely be a way to change it shortly after release.

I'm seriously thinking of swapping back to my old HD in my laptop and seeing if it will run on it. It's 2 years old, and runs XP just fine. It would NOT run Vista though.

I need to install a few more things in Win 7 in order to really see how well it'll work, but so far, I like.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I can see it replacing XP, though not for me. A good chunk of the games I have barely run on XP, and stand no chance on Vista or 7.

Very pretty, but it's not likely to replace my copy of XP any time soon.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                I'm not certain I like the task bar. I really like the one in Vista, but that's me. There will most likely be a way to change it shortly after release.
                Are you still right if there's actually a way to change it now? Because in the task bar options, you can do certain things that basically turn it in to the Vista task bar. The first one you're gonna wanna do it put "Never group", and then play around with it after that.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be a way to change it now... at least to make it look like Vista or XP.
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...s-xp-or-vista/

Comment

I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about the way the taskbar behaves, although I DO like that, I'm talking about the clear squarish blocky thing that the taskbar has become.

I like the smooth grey curved taskbar we currently have in Vista. That's what I'd like to see in Win 7.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        Yeah, that's really the biggest legitimate gripe with Vista. Once it's on there, it's not coming off without *way* more effort than it's worth. Sounds like the install's proceeding relatively quickly, at least.
                        I'm not sure I agree about that, in fact I don't think it's a whole LOT of effort. You just need to start from scratch which usually means wiping the drive completely.

In general, Windows versions will always let the setup.exe program install to a NEWER version importing all your data and making things easier.... but by going the other direction to OLDER versions, you don't get everything all automatic. So... the easiest way to do this is usually to back up all you have right now to somewhere safe (another computer, cds/dvds, an unused partition)... then wipe it off (possibly involving a change/undoing of the partition/file format status... which is probably your hardest step) and boot the computer from the CD you want to install. It's easier than baking a cake!
                        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth wildkard View Post
                          in fact I don't think it's a whole LOT of effort. You just need to start from scratch which usually means wiping the drive completely.
                          As I said. More effort than it's worth heehee

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                          I'm talking about the clear squarish blocky thing that the taskbar has become.

I like the smooth grey curved taskbar we currently have in Vista. That's what I'd like to see in Win 7.
                          aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh...Then themes is what you'll be wanting. I dunno if there's anything out yet that does it, but (custom) themes in Win7 are a lot easier to use than in anything else to date. Poke around on the net and see if there's one you like.

Comment

I saw this today. Apparently they will not be releasing another beta. The next release will be a "Release Candidate" which means they feel it's almost ready to go.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10153384-56.html

Eric the Grey

Comment

Not surprising. A lot of people in the tech industry are saying that this basically a fine tuned version of Vista, more in tune to how they wanted to do it. You could basically call it RC3 and RC4 of Vista, and just ignore the gold release altogether.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

So far it's sounding pretty sweet . . . would it be hard to dowload? I'd like to try it out, but my laptop is a bitch to do a reformat on (no recovery discs - I have the separate portion of the HDD and it's like spinning a combination lock to get into.)

I like the transperancy of the taskbar . . .IMO it makes the desktop look cleaner.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X