This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-boot Questions.

I want some flavor of Linux on one of my computers, just so I can figure out what it is that everyone seems to be raving about.

One of my computers is a white 17 inch Intel iMac bought in April of 2007 (the generation previous to the aluminum/metallic iMacs if that helps any). It's currently running Mac OS 10.5.6 (Leopard). I can give more detailed specs, but the point is that it is said to run Windows. Can it run Linux at all? If it can, then how do I pull off a dual boot with Linux? Do I use Boot Camp somehow? Or is there some other tool I'm not aware of that I need? Or am I asking silly questions because this is still a Mac and isn't going to work anyhow?

My other computer is a Gateway laptop running Windows XP. Little thing is not impressive in any way, but it does work. It's roughly as old as the iMac. Last I knew, the specs should be okay for running Linux, but the big question is still: How on earth am I to do this?

The Gateway is probably the better choice for the Linux installation anyway, as I have less attachment to the way I have things set up on that computer.

Of course, the big matter of opinion is which flavor. The ones I have links to are Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu. I know there's at least a couple others, but I've not seen their homepages, and I'd like to get a chance to see what each one is like.

Ah, computerized adventure. Fun, isn't it?
    Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM. Reason: sqwisheded typos.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Linux newbie = Ubuntu. After you've some experience you can move to different flavours, just so you know what you're in for. As for installing it, probably first you should try it out without installing it separately. Ideally, download the latest version, burn it on to a CD, and then run the CD while in Windows. It should give you the option to run Ubuntu as a program inside Windows. The good part about doing it this way is that if you mess something up, it's just a program, not the entire OS on your computer, or your HDD going down the hole. After you've become comfortable with that, then you can try and pick what flavour you'd want to use, download/burn to CD, boot from the CD, and I assume most of the install processes are the same, meaning you'll need to partition your drive to give space to the OS, and a small partition to use as swap space equal to the amount of RAM you have. From there, it's actually quite simple. It's only when you need to download an odd program or update where things get interesting.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Actually, the single best advice I can give is pretty close to what Broomjockey said, but with a twist. Use VirtualBox. They have an open source version, which means you can use it for free on Windows, Linux, and/or Mac. From there, you download the ISO image from the distribution, and tell VirtualBox that the ISO image is the what's in the CD-ROM drive.

The upshot of all this is that, instead of dealing with repartitioning anything, you just give a few files to the Linux flavor of the minute until you find one that you like. It will be a bit slower, but that's just something you need to be aware of. And the risk to your OS for your main computer drops to 0.

Now, as to which distribution? Go with Ubuntu. It's the easiest one for a Linux newbie to get along with, and to get help when problems arise.

And ask more questions as needed. I'll try to help.

Comment

Another vote for Ubuntu here. It really is the easiest one to install and use.

I think what Broomjocky is talking about is Ubuntu WUBI, which installs as an application under Windows, but actually sets up a dual-boot system for you, so you don't split resources between Windows and a virtual machine. If you don't like it, you can uninstall it like any other windows application.

The other option is running Ubuntu directly from a CD. You just boot from it and run a fully-active workstation. You can do pretty much anything you would normally do, except install new apps. This will also give you an idea IF you'll be able to use your laptop's wireless without any problems. There are some laptop wireless cards that do not work under Linux straight away. You have to install an alternate driver for it. (make sure you have an Ethernet cable available to connect to the internet with).

If you decide to branch out into Linux on a Mac, then Yellow Dog (or I guess Fixtars now...) was originally designed to be installed on Mac's.

If you decide to do a full install, my suggestion, for the laptop is to re-partition, re-install windows (if needed) and then install Linux. Linux needs to be installed second, because Windows ignores the Linux partition and doesn't give you a dual-boot option, while Ubuntu will. If you were on a desktop, I'd suggest adding a second hard drive and installing Linux there. Not an option with a laptop though.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
        X